PDA

View Full Version : Sort of a rerun: Seatbag or backpack?

InspectorGadget
03-17-2004, 08:44 PM
This is a minor issue . . . . until you're in the middle of nowhere looking at your disabled bike.

Last year - while riding my hardtail on a fairly new, bone-jarring trail - I killed the underseat bag that held my spares, tools, etc. I'm vacillating between replacing the underseat bag and just using a camel-back or similar pack. The underseat bag is super convenient and tough to beat on short rides; I prefer an underseat bag on the road bike and can't see changing.

You're going out for a long(er) ride; what do you take along and, more importantly, how do you carry it all?

CS
03-17-2004, 09:14 PM
Camelback anything.

Seatbags suck and tend to unzip and empty their contents when it is least desireable.

Besides, the whole hydration system is just so much better.

I use a Camelback HAWG. A bit big and probably overkill, but I like to take pics and tend to carry a large camera. Spend the $ and get a hydration pack.

White Chocolate
03-18-2004, 12:31 AM
I second the camelback. The camelback mule is definately the best all-around hydration pack on the market, hands down. They are like a backpack while backcountry skiing, you notice when you are NOT wearing it, not the other way around. Plus your bike looks so much sleeker :D

snow_slider
03-18-2004, 05:58 AM
Yeah, I have to toss my vote in with the camelback crowd. Seatbags tend to rattle around and all that extra rattling is just a buzzkill when floating along a pristine section of singletrack.

altagirl
03-18-2004, 07:37 AM
Camelback.

Mountainman
03-18-2004, 08:05 AM
Camelbak

homerjay
03-18-2004, 08:18 AM
Most rides ~ 1.5 hr I just go water bottles in cages and a tube, lever, and CO2 in jersey pocket. Longer - camelback.

InspectorGadget
03-18-2004, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by homerjay
Most rides ~ 1.5 hr I just go water bottles in cages and a tube, lever, and CO2 in jersey pocket. Longer - camelback.

HJ's response is my current line of thought. I already have several different camelbaks that I use for skiing, riding, hiking, motorcycling, etc. I definitely agree with snow_slider's comment about
all that extra rattling is just a buzzkill when floating along a pristine section of singletrack.

Thanks for the input.

IG

AK G-Dog
03-18-2004, 03:11 PM
I like the Camelback BloFish. With it in the "closed" position it has plenty of room for half day rides. You can expand it for longer rides. Works for me.

Crinkle
03-18-2004, 07:30 PM
I use both. I keep a spare tube and tools in the seatbag and use a water bottle on short rides. When riding more trails, I'll take extra stuff and more water in the camelback.

snow_slider
03-18-2004, 08:48 PM
Yeah, I'm kind of known as the McGyver guy on my group rides. I use the Blowfish. Here's what you will normally find in it:

-glueless patches (x5 or so)
-2 extra tubes
-tire levers
-10 zip ties (don't knock 'em, zipties and two sticks got a buddy who lost his front quick release home)
-Park mini tool set
-2 or more Powerbars (depending on ride length)
-film canister of assorted nuts and bolts (they've come in handy more than once)
-small ziploc baggie with extra SRAM powerlinks and Shimano chain pins
-small pocket knife
-bottle opener (heh, heh)
-jacket, vest, or rain gear depending on what the weather might do
-first aid kit
-ace bandage
-air shock pump
-compact tire pump
-CO2 inflater
-a couple extra CO2 canisters

There's probably some other crap in there, but I can't think of want else.

Spats
03-20-2004, 11:04 PM
I'm in the minority here, but I hate wearing backpacks when I ride. They're sweaty and gross and they detract from the feeling of freedom.

I've had an Avenir seat bag for ten years and it's never come off or come open on me. If you don't like seat bags, get one of those triangle packs that hangs under the top tube and attaches to the seat tube.

For water, I have an old Blackburn cage that takes 1.5L spring water bottles, which is plenty for most of my MTB rides.

And no, I'm not a Luddite, I use clipless pedals. Although Power Straps work pretty darn well.

Big Hit77
03-21-2004, 08:31 PM
I definately prefer the camelbak route. The crecent wrench and two spare tubes(24" and 26") would definately not fit in a seat pouch. Nor would the spare derailur hanger, zip ties, mini tool, pump, chain tool, spare chain links or clif bars. I suppose it's a bit overkill to carry that much, but it has saved my butt from walking home many times. You never can tell when a log is going to jump out and bite your bike.

Grange
03-22-2004, 08:17 AM
Camelback. I bought a cheap backpack hydration system, tossed out the original bladder and replaced it with a camelback bladder. Hell of a lot cheaper than a true Camelback system, but I still get the no drip spout.

I used an under-the-seat pack before and the damn thing didn't want to stay closed on bumpy trails.

DougW
03-23-2004, 09:31 AM
I just use my bike for commuting 45 minutes morning/ 70 minutes return ~26km each way so a 750ml water bottle works fine for me. What I use for repair stuff and a few clothes is one of these:
http://images.mec.ca/media/Images/Products/Cycling/4010972s.jpg

Will fit a extra tube , wrenches, small tire pump, change for phone or train and two pieces of clothing ( well a sweat shirt and nothing else)

DougW
04-19-2004, 10:10 AM
bump for gonzo

another nice thing about this set up is that my ride in is down hill for the first 12 km then pretty flat with no lights for the next 14km. So what works for the downhill on a cold morning doesn't after 20 km. I'm able to take off glasses and or ear warmers and put in the bag on the go.

Superstar Punani
04-19-2004, 11:23 AM
I ride with nothing. Hated the camelbacks, and I'll stick a saddlebag on my rig after I paint it pink and put a white basket and streamers on it.

My after-work rides are usually quick (10-15 miles XC/DH) 2 hours. I just drink as much as I can at the trailhead.

Usually will takes a flat tire or broken chain to teach me a lesson and start carrying shit with me.

jayfrizzo
04-19-2004, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by snow_slider
-glueless patches (x5 or so)
-2 extra tubes
-tire levers
-10 zip ties (don't knock 'em, zipties and two sticks got a buddy who lost his front quick release home)
-Park mini tool set
-2 or more Powerbars (depending on ride length)
-film canister of assorted nuts and bolts (they've come in handy more than once)
-small ziploc baggie with extra SRAM powerlinks and Shimano chain pins
-small pocket knife
-bottle opener (heh, heh)
-jacket, vest, or rain gear depending on what the weather might do
-first aid kit
-ace bandage
-air shock pump
-compact tire pump
-CO2 inflater
-a couple extra CO2 canisters

I also bring a PS2, HDTV, and a portable generator so I don't get bored if the myraid of other shit fails.

You're prepared, dude.

I don't like watter bottles or seat bags because I feel like it throws my bike's balance off.

J-

Spats
04-19-2004, 07:57 PM
My tiny seat bag has in it:

-Crank Bros mini pump. Fits in a seatbag and actually works, unlike most mini pumps.
-Tire kit: levers, patches, sandpaper, glue, small cut out section of old tubular tire (used to patch tire casing).
-Alien multi-tool (includes chain tool).

For some rides I have:

-A map
-A snack

My frame has:

-Blackburn bottle cage with 1.5L of water in a regular disposable bottle

This is fine for anything but all-day rides. And I don't have to wear any damn backpack.

Now I have to put some streamers on the grips just to piss off SP when we finally go ride.

edg
04-20-2004, 03:16 AM
Backpack - I only use backpack since I got my underseat stolen (Yes, should have thought about removing it) whilst doing the Arcachon Basin en France (~55mi, mostly paved cycling trails). Backpacks you always take with you...

edg

Ripzalot
04-20-2004, 02:38 PM
for all day rides a camelbak hawg packed almost exactly like snowslider. have i used any of it? i gave a guy a tube once and lent out my pump a couple times. that's about it! but i am prepared. :cool: