PDA

View Full Version : (Bunny) Hopping

edg
03-17-2004, 01:47 PM
Basically for clearing annoying kerbs (You know, the ones that don't have the lowered section) I taught myself how to do a hop. I was just wondering what the 'official' technique for hopping is - the movie below shows that mine isn't exactly achieving much more than its original objective (it does clear kerbs quite effectively, at speed) What is your technique for high hopping?

Hopping Mad (http://hosting.the-edg.net/edg/hop.mov)

edg

snow_slider
03-17-2004, 01:52 PM
There are basically two diferent types of hops - the bunny hop and the "J" hop.

The difference is mostly in the setup. With a bunny hop, you use your cranks (like popping a wheelie) then with your front wheel in the air and clear of the obstacle, you twist your wrists forward on the grips whils simultaneously "lifting " the rear of the bike by pulling up against the pedals. With a "J" hop, instead of setting up like a wheelie, you manual, then lift the bike's rear over the obstacle.

I don't know if this makes any sense at all. It's much easier to show someone that to provide a typewritten explaination.

With either technique, the higher you can loft your front wheel, the higher you can hop.

Viva
03-17-2004, 03:15 PM
Why hop bunnies when you can just run over them?

Big E
03-17-2004, 03:15 PM
snow_slider - we've got to do some biking together this summer.

mildbill.
03-17-2004, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Viva
Why hop bunnies when you can just run over them?

because their pointy teeth can pop the tires.

hev
03-17-2004, 03:22 PM
2 good ways to learn bunny hops IMO.

cheater way is to get clipless pedals. you'll be attched to the bike so all you have to do is pull up on your feet. (practice only pulling the back wheel off the ground) if your good you can bunny hop no-handed.

the better way is to get a small bmx bike or even a scooter or something. you can get the feel of lifting the bike off the ground with your hands and wrists. actually it's more of a suck up and then push forward motion. as you get better start wheeling into your hops like s.s said and you will be able to clear much higher.

my $.02

jstead
03-17-2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by hev
2 good ways to learn bunny hops IMO.

you can get the feel of lifting the bike off the ground with your hands and wrists. actually it's more of a suck up and then push forward motion. my $.02

To really get the "suck up" feeling you need to preload the pedals by pushing your weight down onto the pedals.
The same kind of motion you would do before a jump.

snow_slider
03-18-2004, 06:03 AM
Big E said:

snow_slider - we've got to do some biking together this summer.

Done! As soon as the trails dry out (if that ever happens - argh...)

I have a buddy that offered to lead a ride out at Gambrill (in MD). The place is supposed to ROCK. I'll let you know when he's getting the ride together. Until then, we can always hit Fountainhead or Shaeffer Farm. I've been riding Le Tour de Basement all winter and am dying to get out on the trails.

Big E
03-18-2004, 03:03 PM
Been riding the Tour de Knee Rehab - much less fun. Probably will have to slap on those shin/knee pads I bought cheap even for more relaxed rides as some insurance for breaking the knee cap.

Telenater
03-18-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by Bullet
http://www.biglines.com/photos/blpic20705.jpg

They are easier to hop if they have a pancake on their head.

But watch that rear tire, you could make a real mess if you don't quite clear it.