04-19-2007, 10:01 AM
I had the Temple Fork Outfitters

LEFTY KREH PROFESSIONAL SERIES
http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/graphics/professional_ltlong.jpg

Fish: Silver, Red, King Salmon, Dollie Varden,
Weight: 6
Pieces: 4

Review:

Picked mine up on the review of others who had exclaimed aboot it. TFO rods come with a No Fault Warranty:

Our No-Fault Warranty is for the life of the original registered owner. Send your registration card with each purchase to activate your warranty. Simply return a damaged rod with $25 for shipping & handling, and we will repair or replace your rod.

I fished mine at closed in streams with overhanging tree limbs and non overhanging. I found that while I loved the rod, I would have preferred something a bit shorter for roll casting in the brushy/closed in areas. While out on a lake or larger river, the rod casted great and stayed together well. It had good action, although on smaller fish the 6 weight tended to just yank em right out. However, I found that the rod really responded well to the larger fish (over 20 pounds) I had a great battle with a large red salmon on this baby and I only wish I hadn't had it removed from my posession.

I will go out eventually and purchase a new one to replace it.

schwerty
04-19-2007, 10:04 AM
I sold a TFO 9' 5wt a couple months ago and I regret it big time. Fun rods! Great price!!

Odin
04-19-2007, 10:06 AM
Exaclty, with the likes of other companies charging more for similar rods, for me it was a no brainer. Even St Croix (which seems to market themselves along that line) doesn't seem to have the variety or options that the TFO line does.

It appears that all the professional series come with graphite rods now.

A 9ft 4 pice 6 weight rod for 139? I'll take it!

Free Range Lobster
04-19-2007, 10:08 AM
I've got the graphite Lefty Pro 4wt.
Sweet sweet rod.

schwerty
04-19-2007, 10:13 AM
Yup. It's hard to pass up good rods at that price.

They aren't gonna match up to the $500 - $600 range but you can have a decent quiver of rods for the price of one of those high end sticks! I might pick up a TFO this afternoon???

Anyone fished rods from Yellowstone Rods? They may not have the casting ranges as a $625 Sage SLT will but they fish very well in most situations and are very affordable.

http://www.yellowstoneflyrods.com/

Odin
04-19-2007, 10:14 AM
Is this what you have? Or close to it?

I think this would suit me more for Oregon as I don't think I will be fighting so many angry salmon down here in the streams...

TFO 04 80 4 P 4 Wt. 8'-0" 4 Pc. 3.2 Ounces IM6 Graphiteš

pechelman
04-19-2007, 10:22 AM
damn TFO has a lot of rods. well I supposse no more than any other manf.
can anyone break down the lineup as to flex\speed and what their good for?

Im used to how sage just blatantly says what each one is for.

not really looking for a rod right now, but if I were, it would be a 5 or 6 wt 9ft gun to fight winds and allow a decent long distance presentation.

right now ive got a couple rods, but by only trout rod is a Sage VPS-Light 486 which absolutely ROCKED in tight quarters EC streams, but is a little undergunned when I get stuck in winds...ie all the time out here.

Free Range Lobster
04-19-2007, 10:34 AM
8'6" graphite.
same rod
6 extra inches

Poppa Woody
04-19-2007, 10:36 AM
6 extra inches

Oh YEAH!

MakersTeleMark
04-19-2007, 01:32 PM
Please describe the action on the rod. Thanks.

mnflyfish
04-19-2007, 08:19 PM
A buddy of mine is a Guide and is with TFO. I have used a few of his sticks and have been really impressed. That said, I'm with St. Croix from the guide stand point and LOVE my Legend Elite 5 wt, easily in the same catagory as the high end Winstons and Sage but at least $100 less. If things with St. Croix ever go sour though TFO wouldn't suck.

JAy

schwerty
04-20-2007, 07:02 AM
damn TFO has a lot of rods. well I supposse no more than any other manf.
can anyone break down the lineup as to flex\speed and what their good for?

Im used to how sage just blatantly says what each one is for.

not really looking for a rod right now, but if I were, it would be a 5 or 6 wt 9ft gun to fight winds and allow a decent long distance presentation.

right now ive got a couple rods, but by only trout rod is a Sage VPS-Light 486 which absolutely ROCKED in tight quarters EC streams, but is a little undergunned when I get stuck in winds...ie all the time out here.

I'd try out the TiCrX. Great rod for wind and distance. Don't expect to make ANY 20ft light presentations!!!