PDA

View Full Version : FROST WARNING in the Midwest!!!

mnflyfish
09-08-2006, 08:59 PM
Ok, so I live in Minnesota, and I've been reading about snow in the mountains since the middle of August. But hey, this is a pretty big deal out here on the prairie! It's just around the corner!

Good Luck,
Jay

bossass
09-12-2006, 12:21 AM
I'll bet Garrison's all excited too.:rolleyes:

mnflyfish
09-13-2006, 11:27 AM
Fuck Garrison. I wish he'd get pissed off again and move. A few years ago some local newspaper reporter mentioned what neighborhood he lived in, he got all wound up and moved out of the country. Unfortunately, he came back. And now he's threatening to run for office. Great so he and Al Franken will be on the ballot in a up coming election, makes the years with a wrestler for a Gov seem like the good old days.

Good Luck,
Jay

Orange Julius
09-13-2006, 11:34 AM
so glad I no longer live there. 4 years of college was enough for me!

mnflyfish
09-14-2006, 09:25 PM
so glad I no longer live there. 4 years of college was enough for me!

Politically it sucks. Whining on all sides. But it is coming in to the best time of the year. Can't imagine being anywhere else in the fall.

Good Luck,
Jay

axebiker
11-29-2006, 07:06 AM
Thread resurrection...

Well, we have a record cold October, followed by record warmth in November...wow...

Looks like we're finally going to get back to having snow making weather again! Got a trip out to Tahoe next week - hope the snow is starting to cover the rocks there. All my skis are new this year - it's painful to make a choice of which new skis you want to risk for the early season.

P_McPoser
11-29-2006, 01:44 PM
I'll trade this mornings -12 for whatever you gots, yo.

axebiker
11-29-2006, 04:08 PM
Nah - I love the cold, but I'll be in the -12 in Montana in January when we're out there! :)

It did get up to about 25 here today...I'll take it!!!

axebiker
12-01-2006, 07:10 AM
Today's weather report: COLD & DRY... Shit...

Thank God for snowmaking equipment...

axebiker
12-22-2006, 07:20 AM
First snow of the season yesterday!! 2 inches of ice-laden slush! It rained HARD for about 3 hours prior to turning to snow. I better pull out the fat skis...

mnflyfish
12-22-2006, 11:41 AM
I better pull out the fat skis...

Yeah, I hear the "pow" at Hyland is epic! Actually it is nice to see a little white for the Christmas season.

Good Luck,
Jay

axebiker
12-29-2006, 12:21 PM
I think I saw a couple snow flakes this morning. But I think they fell off a plane out of Denver.

mnflyfish
12-29-2006, 08:51 PM
I think I saw a couple snow flakes this morning. But I think they fell off a plane out of Denver.

This weather couldn't suck more!!!!!! We're loosing our man made snow pack fast, and the folks just to our west are getting dumped on. Now they're saying mid to high 40's into NEXT weekend. Starting to think it's time to move. If I wanted Missouri weather I would live there.

Good Luck,
Jay

Grange
12-30-2006, 09:51 AM
I was in Green Bay over for Christmas and we got over 2 days of rain. I think the news said around 2 inches. If it was colder that would have been snow and I wouldn't have had to cancel my ski trip.

axebiker
01-02-2007, 06:36 AM
I can't take this crap... And I really love the 2 days of rain we get every time before it starts snowing. Makes for GREAT road conditions! We got a couple inches of new stuff here in Saint Paul, but it'l be gone by tomorrow. I haven't been to a MN ski area yet this year...:(

axebiker
01-02-2007, 06:38 AM
Starting to think it's time to move.

Where? I don't think there are too many "safe" places left... :rolleyes:

mnflyfish
01-08-2007, 11:19 AM
Where? I don't think there are too many "safe" places left... :rolleyes:

I'm thinking someplace in Southern MT, that would put me within an easy days drive from a ton of places and make chasing storms a lot easier. That or Alaska, 282 inches of fresh stuff in Dec, in the Chugach. That wouldn't suck, unless you had to shovel it.

Spent the weekend at my daughter's race, they held it at Welch. The snow was worse than Hyland. The Western burbs got close to 10" out of that little storm on New Years, but the futher east you drive, the more brown there is. We still have 5+" in our yard even with the warmer temps that last few days. Welch was very disappointing. Terrible conditions, lots of bare spots, but no where near as bad as the EC as seen on some recent TR's.

Good Luck,
Jay

axebiker
01-09-2007, 06:32 AM
We're heading out to Big Sky on the 20th - wish us luck! I hear it's getting better out there each day, although Bridger had one of the latest opening days they've had in quite some time. Bummer - I really liked it there. We'll see. With that said, yeah, southern MT wouldn't be bad at all, although they get their share of bad winters too. This year for instance... :rolleyes2

I was going to go to Buck the other night, but just couldn't get excited about it. I wonder how Spirit is doing? I *NEED* to get out at least one more time before Montana though...

We got another invite out to Tahoe again - we have a free place to stay in Truckee. Hopefully... :D If not, we'll just chalk this one up to a bad year. Dammit. :mad:

kid4lyf
01-11-2007, 08:22 AM
We got another invite out to Tahoe again - we have a free place to stay in Truckee. Hopefully... :D Want company? :biggrin:
Was at Squaw late March/early April last season for a wedding (mine).
Incredible; pounded with snow every night with 14" of fresh the night before we got married.
Skied till 2:00 on our wedding day.

Squaw is definately my new favorate place on earth.

mnflyfish
01-11-2007, 03:30 PM
We're heading out to Big Sky on the 20th - wish us luck! I hear it's getting better out there each day, although Bridger had one of the latest opening days they've had in quite some time. Bummer - I really liked it there. We'll see. With that said, yeah, southern MT wouldn't be bad at all, although they get their share of bad winters too. This year for instance... :rolleyes2

I was going to go to Buck the other night, but just couldn't get excited about it. I wonder how Spirit is doing? I *NEED* to get out at least one more time before Montana though...

We got another invite out to Tahoe again - we have a free place to stay in Truckee. Hopefully... :D If not, we'll just chalk this one up to a bad year. Dammit. :mad:

Axe,

Was just checking weather for an upcoming trip to the Bearthooths, was hope for a little BC, and will be staying in Red Lodge on the other side of the range from Big Sky. If it's snowing on the West Side of the range like it's snowing on the east side you should be pretty well set for your Big Sky trip. It's just puking in Red Lodge and they don't normally get the goods until later. As for locally, Duluth is BROWN, they have had better temps for Spirit has a ton of man made, but it's pretty bleak. This next storm is looking like it's going to stay south, we might get a little in the cities, but that's about it. You're always welcome to pay us a visit at Hyland. This weeks bad, but roll out on a Friday and ski with the Friday night patrol. That's the group I'm going to MT with, 13 of us in all(alert the Red Lodge police, 'cause they don't have housing for all of us). Great group of guys, one of them is the former National Avi advisor for the NSP, extremely interesting guy to ski with. He will be in Big Sky on or around they same time you'll be there, then he's driving over to meet upwith us in Red Lodge.

Good Luck and if you're going to be at Hyland PM me.
Jay

axebiker
01-15-2007, 06:02 PM
Did anyone enjoy the BIG POW night last night? Buck was a BLAST!

mnflyfish
01-15-2007, 10:58 PM
Did anyone enjoy the BIG POW night last night? Buck was a BLAST!

Had first chair at Hyland this morning, and yeah it was pretty good, by MN standards.

Good Luck,
Jay