PDA

View Full Version : Digital SLR's

raddam
01-09-2004, 05:36 PM
Lets talk bout them

I am on the verge of pulling the trigger and this one is looking quite sweet. 6.3 MP
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/items/277768.jpg?SSImageQuality=Full
The Canon EOS 10D is the first digital SLR to offer Canon's exclusive DIGIC Image Processor for maximum camera performance as well as direct connectivity to several Canon Photo Printer. The camera's body, constructed with rigid magnesium alloy covers, houses and protects a number of advanced camera features which are distinctively Canon including a very fast, wide area 7-point autofocus system for precise focusing; 3 frames per second drive speed in 9-frame bursts in either JPEG or simultaneous RAW + JPEG capture settings; an extended ISO range of 100-3200; manual white balance mode; selectable color space options including Adobe RGB and sRGB; a scrollable 10x zoom playback mode; and a Plug and Play USB interface. The EOS 10D also supports EXIF 2.2, DPOF 1.1, FAT32, and Compact Flash Type I and II, and is completely compatible with all EF-series lenses.

I am going to stick with Canon because of its fast AF. I am already hearing tales of a new Canon Digital that bursts 8fps at 8millionMP. That one is substantially more expensive and think I may start with this 10D.

Any thoughts?

2stix
01-09-2004, 05:50 PM
Very sweet camera. alot of reviews give it high prase for its sharpness and speed. The changable lense kicks ass. Being able to use over 300 lenses on this camera opens a lot of options for photograpy.
The question is, what are you planning on using it for?
Cause if its sking and stuff, It's big and heavy. You'd only want to use it on those special days.
Definatley not your local point and shoot. You better know how to use a SLR cause the learning curve is pretty steep.
If you aren't that familiar with them, get the Rebel. It's the little brother of the 10d and has great point and shoot abilities. Gives up a few features but use's the same CCD. Also has the benifit of being able to use Cannon's new series of lenses to come.
Also be made out of acheaper plastic case, is also lighter.

All in all, both kick ass when it comes to photo quality!

My$.02

raddam
01-09-2004, 06:06 PM
You better know how to use a SLR

yea, I have been shooting Canon SLRs for 10 years.
And I do ski with heavy equipment so i am not worried about that.

I just haven't bought into digital yet, just keep waiting for it the technology to advance and the equpment less expensive.

This one is pretty cheap considering some point and shoots are still in the 800 buck range.

I have 4 lens that are all compatible with this.
Nevermind, I am just trying to get some encouragement from you guys to justify a new purchase for the year.

thx

Arty50
01-09-2004, 07:06 PM
Do it!!!

Do it now!!!!

:D

Or you could buy that camera and give it to me to test out for you...

If you haven't been there already www.dpreview.com is the be all end all of digital camera review sites.

summit
01-09-2004, 08:22 PM
If you settle for a 300D instead of a 10D, I will beat your brains out with a 2x4.

bad_roo
01-10-2004, 06:08 AM
BrownMonkey bought an EOS10D and that thing is the shizz. An EOS300D is more than enough for most though.

2stix
01-10-2004, 09:28 AM
Well then.
If you have experience and don't mind weight, then do it man!
That camera take some serious kick ass pictures! And the list of features is looooooooooong! (you know that already though)

Do it, Great camera!:D

Schralper
01-11-2004, 10:09 AM
No doubt, a nice piece of hardware.
I take it you already have canon lenses.
Cuz the focus speed is not that different than the nikon. Especially if you limit the focus range. The only issues I've had w/ the digi slr's is the burst rate. Sure X# of fps but for what, 30 frames or so then new memory card. Cha-ching $$. Having to have a bunch of 1 gig cards gets pricey. What about battery life in cold weather?
I know my F5 battery lasts quite a few rolls in 0-10F temps. Longer than my fingers can take it :p
The one thing that I wish they could fix is noise w/ exposures over 30 sec. Thats one of the reasons I decided on a film camera. Night shots and star trails.
I want a 400mm lens or so, before I get a digi slr. You know for those across ridgeline shots. Or outta avie range.

raddam
01-11-2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Schralper
No doubt, a nice piece of hardware.
I take it you already have canon lenses.
Cuz the focus speed is not that different than the nikon. Especially if you limit the focus range. The only issues I've had w/ the digi slr's is the burst rate. Sure X# of fps but for what, 30 frames or so then new memory card. Cha-ching $$. Having to have a bunch of 1 gig cards gets pricey. What about battery life in cold weather?
I know my F5 battery lasts quite a few rolls in 0-10F temps. Longer than my fingers can take it :p
The one thing that I wish they could fix is noise w/ exposures over 30 sec. Thats one of the reasons I decided on a film camera. Night shots and star trails.
I want a 400mm lens or so, before I get a digi slr. You know for those across ridgeline shots. Or outta avie range.

I do have Canon lens'. They seem to do the trick
I do have some reservations about the cold weather dealio. My body doesn't spit out 10fps so I am not that worried about the burst rate, sure it could be higher but I am willing to sacrifice. Battery life is a good point. Also, this body has a mirror lock capabilities not sure if that is the same as a bulb setting??
I love shooting star trails, night images and fireworks as well. I am sure the latest models will have those capabilities. Thanks for your input, where can I see some of your shots?
Cheers'

Schralper
01-12-2004, 11:01 AM
Well if you wanna see some video pics check out my webpage listed on my profile. Working on getting a scanner for my slides. Just got my F5 this summer. Oh so heavy, especially w/ 80-200 lens ugh!, but bomber.
So me and my bro were talking about digi slr's last eve. He was saying a BIG issue has been dust on the CCD/image sensors. Hard to notice til viewed on computer screen. Some even have to go back to factory for cleaning. Who wants to 'shop out all that dust? Especially when you're using a camera w/ hi megapixels. Might wanna check out that. Maybe on epinions.com?
Mirror lockup is for when you dont wanna take a chance of the camera shake on exposures over 1/4 sec. Lock it up then remote or timer trigger shutter, sturdy tripod helps. As for night shots as long as you're not gonna shoot over 30 sec. shouldn't be to much of a problem. Not much time for star trails, though.
If it werent for the fact that I shoot action/adventure and not just landscape, etc I could live w/ lower fps.
:eek: