PDA

View Full Version : What does an MCL strain feel like?

two_planks
12-31-2003, 12:17 AM
I went skiing yesterday and noticed that my knee was a little stiff and sore when I got home, but so was the rest of me so I didn't think much of it. But, this morning I woke up and all was good except for my knee. Its really soar along the back of my knee and it hurts to walk up and down stairs, run, etc. If it still hurts tommorow I think I'll call the doctor, but in the mean time any advise/ opinions.

mildbill.
12-31-2003, 06:28 AM
i had a 2nd degree of my mcl when i was 15. my knee opened like a door hinge when the doc pulled sideways. it will buckle when you walk on it.

edit: they called it a 2nd/3rd degree i think--it was just barely not blown. being 15 they put me in a brace and i was skiing bumps and playing hoop in 1 month.

Crinkle
12-31-2003, 07:28 AM
yeah, I did mine when I was 17, run x-country in high school. I strained mine by overtraining. Hurts walking downhill and every once and a while it will give out on you. It lasted for about 3 weeks with no training for me, then a knee brace for 3 months. It still twinges, but i have built up the strength in that knee now that I hardly ever notice (12 years later)

danadog
12-31-2003, 08:01 AM
I have a grade 2 sprain of my MCL from dirt biking the 1st week in December
I saw the doc and he told me to get a bike and start lifting weights right away. Then in 2 weeks see me again. Well I saw him on Monday before X-mas and he orderd up a MRI and told me NO skiing untill I saw him again on Jan 7th. Well I had the Mri done and got the Hosptial to fax me a copy of my report from the MRI. I was going nuts with all of the new snow in Utah so I called a nurse friend and read her the report and she told me to put on a brace and get up on the hill. So I just spent 3 days at the boat and only one time did I feel pain in a turn. I have been biking and hitting the gym hard and today we are off the Utah with the brace in hand and going to try to take it easy but still getting out there for some fresh powder.
Yes it does get a little stiff and sore after a day of skiing but I think that is what advill is for.
Be safe and take it easy!!!

Vinman
12-31-2003, 08:06 AM
Typically with an MCL sprain you will have pain along the inside of the knee not the back. You could have hyperextebnded the knee and sprained some of the ligament in the back. Also you could have alos strained the hamstring muscles or tendons. Very difficult to tell from your description exactly what might be the problem.

If you have alot of swelling or you are more than just sore see your doc. But if you are "just sore" and only have mild pain with no swelling try icing the knee for a few days 20 min at a time with and hour or so in between treatments. Do this for 2 or 3 days. If it still is not any better see your doc.

two_planks
01-01-2004, 10:50 AM
Well its still a little sore but starting to feel better. I think I was over reacting to the effects of 23 years of skiing. Things didn't used to hurt this bad or for this long.