PDA

View Full Version : Nelson, Rogers

Caligula
12-21-2005, 11:37 AM
Wondering if Roger's Pass would be worth a drive up from WA state right now. Apparently its pretty thin, but expecting some dumpage. In the alternative, Whitwater / Fernie / Rossland etc. might be ok. Anyone skiied any of these places recently?

nesta
12-21-2005, 08:14 PM
I've skiied at Fernie 2 days ago. The groomers were OK, off- piste was surface hoar overlying windslab, not very good skiing IMO. Last night there was freezing rain, but I'm not sure to what elevation...and tonight it is raining lightly in the valley, so the roads have gone from bad to worse. Freezing level is supposed to drop tomorrow night with continued light precipitation. I think you can safely leave Fernie out of your equation.

PlayHarder
12-22-2005, 11:35 AM
Came back from Monashee Powder Cats yesterday, it rained lightly as high as 8000' Tuesday in the Monashees. It was a little cooler and snowing when we came over Rogers Pass, should be decent up there.
I'd expect any of the lower elevation areas got rained on though.

Caligula
12-22-2005, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the beta. Roger's it is. Apparently the heavy stuff has exasurbated some weak layers and some slabs are ripping. Stay off the aggro stuff, but should be good anyway.

PlayHarder
12-22-2005, 09:06 PM
Monashees terrain isn't far southeast of Revelstoke, so there's likely similar conditions @ Rogers as we found. About 12" of really sugary faceted snow now has the heavy snow layer above, could be a little sketchy depending on how much fell. Mellow's likely a good call.