PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Albums to Buy

char
12-11-2003, 12:33 AM
Top 5 Albums I Want to Buy (In no particular order):

1) Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited [1965] (I have this on vinyl, not cd)

2) The Clash - London Calling [1980] (Just cause I've never heard The Clash and I have a feeling alot of the music I listen to today is influenced by them.)

3) Nirvana - Nevermind [1991] (My first introduction to Nirvana was in 7th grade, back of the bus on the way home. Goodbye country-western crap.)

4) James Taylor - Sweet Baby James [1971]

5) The Rolling Stones -Let It Bleed [1969] (They are the Stones. Duh.)

Buster Highmen
12-11-2003, 05:10 PM
1) Hot Rats - Frank Zappa. Unbelieveably ahead of it's time rock and amazing guitar.

2) Exile on Main Street - Stones. 2 disks of famous hits.

3) Agharta - Miles Davis. Driving funk and jazz together and out of the cosmos.

4) Take It To The Stage - Funkadelic. George Clinton rocks out.

5) Still - Joy Division. Great beginnings, Love Will Tear Us Apart.

Honorable mentions:

Larks Tongue in Aspic or Starless and Bible Black- King Crimson. Amazing technical and innovative records.
Birds of Fire or Inner Mountain Flame -Mahavishnu Orchestra. When Fusion really rocked.
Led Zep II - Led Zepplin. A seminal rock landmark.
Happy Trails - Quicksilver Messenger Service. Who Do You Love, a classic acid tribal movement.
Skull and Roses - The Grateful Dead. A lot of great American jugband rock.
Bless It's Pointed Little Head - The Jefferson Airplane. Fantastic record that only grazes the greatness of the Airplane.
Choice Quality Stuff - Beautiful Day. Another forgotten amazingly rocking band with lead electric violin.
Electric Music For The Mind and Body - Country Joe and The Fish. More SF musical history.

Steven S. Dallas
12-13-2003, 12:52 AM
Frankly, I can't believe you don't have nos. 1,2, and 5.

You're right, though- you definitely need to buy these albums, if only so your music snob friends don't mock you.

Arty50
12-15-2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Buster Highmen
2) Exile on Main Street - Stones. 2 disks of famous hits.

Are you talking about Exile or Hot Rocks? Hot Rocks is the two disc set with a ton of their hits. Exile on Main Street is considered by many to be one of if not the greatest rock and roll albums ever. It's sold as one disc, although the original was a double album on vinyl. Oddly enough, it doesn't contain many big hits. Sure some of the songs are popular and recognizable, but they don't get a tenth of the airplay that songs on Hot Rocks do.

If you want a great selection of Stone's classics get Hot Rocks. If you want a "I'm gonna kick my momma in the head because it's soooo sweeeeet" album, get Exile.

Buster Highmen
12-15-2003, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Arty50
Are you talking about Exile or Hot Rocks?.
Exile. My disc refs are vinyl.

scooltim
12-02-2010, 03:30 PM
The Top Five Album To Buy:-
1. Timberland
2. Akon
3. Vengaboys
4. Linkin Park
5. Rolling Stone