PDA

View Full Version : ACL Tear / Surgery - Advice Needed

RockBoy
04-27-2005, 10:17 AM
Need some advice, opinions, and good vibes.

About 2 weeks ago my wife tore her ACL and sprained her MCL. It might have been less dramatic and more bearable if she did while skiing some nice powder, but she did it playing coed floor hockey at DU. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone wants to chime in and voice there opinion on which type of graft (patellar, hamstring, allograft) is best or at least what you have done and what some of the drawbacks and successes have been. She is thinkning either using her hamstring or an allograft. Also I was hoping that someone (especially Denver mags) could give any advice on Physical Therapists in the area.

I am in Denver and as far as doctors go, I have heard a lot of good stuff about Western Orthopedics, and in particular Dr. Parks. But Dr. Parks is pretty damn busy and has a baby on the way, so we are working with his colleague Dr. Bazaaz.

She probably isn't going to have the surgery for at least another 4 weeks because the Dr. said she needs to regain full range of motion and strengthen her leg more. So for now she is just limping around during the day at work, and doing some exercises at night. Any information, stories, or opinions would be helpful.

truth
04-27-2005, 10:24 AM
Get her into Pre-Op PT. Even though post op she'll lose most of her strength the better you go into it the better you'll come out. The PT graft is supposed to be the strongest, but the healing from the graft is worse than the the ACL. There are quite few threads in here that delve inot details so read on.

Best of luck.