PDA

View Full Version : Rodding the Tib?

FollowMe
03-04-2005, 08:16 PM
I just got word that I'm scheduled to have by tib rodded on Monday and I'm a bit nervous, not quite sure what to expect. Does anyone have any experience w/ such a procedure? If so, please share. Thanks.

gonzo
03-04-2005, 08:50 PM
no knowledge, but good luck mang.

your leg will dominate that rod! full assimilation! take no prisoners!

Arnold Babar
03-05-2005, 04:35 PM
I've been through that one. The tib rod will heal your bone faster and more neatly. You will not have to wear a cast, which is a bonus. You will be weight bearing in 4 weeks and you will notice that with rehab you will get back to normal relatively quickly. The doctors will tell you that you don't have to remove the rod, that as long as it doesn't cause any problems that you will be better off leaving it in. That is bullshit. I left mine in for 7 years, and it never gave me any real trouble, but was always sore, especially when the weather changed, low pressure systems moved in. It was always sore longer after workouts, and became sore faster during them. I finally decided to have it removed, and it was the best decision ever. It was a couple weeks recovery, which sucked, but now I am pain free in that leg, and I noticed an increase in flexibility and strength. I still think the rod is a good healing method, and would prefer it over a full leg cast, but my advice would be to not leave it in forever. It will suck making that decision to go back under the knife after you've healed, but I say it's worth it. Wish I didn't waited 7 years. Best of luck to you.

FollowMe
03-05-2005, 04:54 PM
Thanks Arnold. You pretty much confirmed my reasons for choosing this procedure. How about the surgery itself --- how painful/dehabilitating was it? How soon do you think I'll be able to get "out and about" (back to work in the office)? How soon after the surgery do you think you would have been comfortable w/ removing the rod and/or screws? Thanks man, good to hear it worked out well for you in the long run.

Arnold Babar
03-05-2005, 08:05 PM
I don't think the surgery is as bad as the acl repair I just had done, but it's been ten years so... You'll be up and around on crutches right away, then you'll graduate to a cane pretty quickly. It's getting that incision to heal that is the bitch, and you'll have trouble kneeling for a few years. Getting it taken out is a whole other issue. I put it off for 7 years. Partly because nobody told me how much better I would feel, but partly because I didn't want to go back under the knife (who does?). The recovery from that was only a couple weeks, again the incision. I'm really happy not to have it inside me anymore, even though I was fully active with it in (skied, played contact sports etc.) I'm more flexible and less prone to ankle injuries with it out. You might tolerate it differently than I did. I sort of accepted the nagging pain as part of my life, and then just got fed up. I'd suggest setting a target date, like maybe one year to set as decision time. Once you heal you're not going to want to go back in. So carve out a two week time slot in the future when you've got nothing really going on. Don't put up with the pain. Best wishes.

gonzo
03-05-2005, 10:18 PM
full assimilation! no prisoners! bap bap bap!

ook i'm drunk. and the lights are of. but you are going to fuck that rod up. i can feel it.

FollowMe
03-08-2005, 07:12 PM
Oh man, I'm thrashed, that was no fun. I can't wait to get back up to 100% and maintain excellent conditioning/health. No prisoners is right!! and thanks for the good words Gonzo.

Arnold, do you remember what sort of pain meds you were on after your original surgery? They tried to give me some Tylenol w/ codeine but that didn't work for shit. I'm back to the percocets now, but even those feel weak.

biggins
03-09-2005, 01:30 AM
I've had a rod in my femur for near four years now and I've had no problems. Fact is- its stronger than it would be without. I occasionally get pains (minor) and can feel barometric pressure changes- but I find the latter kind of cool. Also, I've had some nasty run-ins with trees, once on the snow once on my bike, and I came away just fine, I'm convinced, because of my bionic titanium femur. A couple of things to remember-

1. While in recovery be hawkish about possible swelling in your leg, breathing trouble, irritability and the like- blood clots often result from a combination of new 'foreign hardware' and immobility. Not to scare you, but be on the lookout (I was on weeks of bed-rest from a host of other injuries when I had the femur-rod put in and I got a nice little pulmonary embolism [blood clot]- I wouldn't wish it on anyone- though I did fully recover after 6 months of blood thinners).

2. Get a note from the doc that is VERY official looking stateing that you have 'foreign hardware' in your body. You can set off airport security detectors and TSC can make things kind of unpleasant if you're setting off their alarms and they can't find a cause. There's a great story about Reagan National security strip searching a well-recognized congressman because his hip-replacement kept setting off alarms.

Hope recovery goes well. Rock on.

biggins
03-09-2005, 10:23 AM
As for pain meds- I was on the oxy train for months after my surgeries- many mg of oxy. It sucked- stick with precs and request vicadin if the percs make you feel shitty. A lotof people react better to Vic than percs even though they are essentially the same thing.

Feel better

Arnold Babar
03-09-2005, 11:16 AM
Oh man, I'm thrashed, that was no fun. I can't wait to get back up to 100% and maintain excellent conditioning/health. No prisoners is right!! and thanks for the good words Gonzo.

Arnold, do you remember what sort of pain meds you were on after your original surgery? They tried to give me some Tylenol w/ codeine but that didn't work for shit. I'm back to the percocets now, but even those feel weak.
You'll get back fast, FM. But it does suck, I know. I was on Tylox (tylenol/codene) and then Percoset. I never set off metal detectors with mine until 9/11, and then I did. It was one reason I got it removed. You'll never feel so bad that you say "Damn I gotta get this thing out", but trust me, being a cyborg sucks after the novelty wears off. Then you can take it around to bars and ask girls if they want to see your 13" titanium rod :biggrin:

biggins
03-09-2005, 12:02 PM
Not trying to overly jong in,

I really dont find my 'rodded' leg to be even noticeable. I got quite fucked up in a car accident and rehabed my whole body. The femur (which I know is not a tibia) was, is and according to research (my pops is a career med. researcher) always will be the strongest feeling and acting part of my body. I've actually yet to set off an airport detector- I just see and hear about it happening often. Long and short- while ABabar I think its great and fortunate that you got yours out and are more comfortable and happy as a result- FM, I wouldn't sweat it for now- concern yourself with it only down the road, and only then if it occurs to you.

Heal well.

Arnold Babar
03-09-2005, 02:10 PM
Right on, Biggins. I don't know how old you are. I'm in my late 30's, and i must say that aging is hard enough without cyborg parts in your body. I definitely could have left it in, but a number of circumstances converged where I wanted it out and am happier for it. It didn't bother me in the beginning, but those minor pains were starting to amplify as I aged, and I had good insurance that I was about to lose so I pulled the trigger. I hope FollowMe, that your experience is like Biggins'. Heal well,

FollowMe
03-09-2005, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the advice fellaz. I'm really hopeful that I find it "tolerable" as the last thing I want to do is go back into the OR. Just curious Arnold, was having it removed less traumatic that having it placed?

Arnold Babar
03-10-2005, 10:18 AM
Yes, less traumatic, but still sucked. I healed up real quick, though. I'm probably overstating how much it bothered me, esp in the beginning. It NEVER bothered me skiing, but I like to run long distances, and found that with it in it would bug me after about eight miles. Now I feel like I can do marathons again. Just know that if it does bother you, take it out and you will feel relief. Wait till you get your x-rays back after you heal, the rod allows the bone to knit back reeeeeaaaaal smooooooove. I tried to post pics of my rod and my rays, but I couldn't get the files small enough. I'll try again another time. There's something cool about holding a piece of titanium that has been in your body for seven years. Friends want me to have it made into a bike component. :)

gonzo
03-10-2005, 11:13 AM
Hang in there bro! Dominate that shit!!!

P.S. Probably not a great question, but how do they get it out? I thought it was in the middle of the bone? Is it like strapped to the side or something?

Arnold Babar
03-10-2005, 12:06 PM
Oh it's in the middle of the bone, secured with a screw. First they make an incision on the side, and use a torx-head screw driver to remove the screw. Then they cut through the patellar tendon and drill out the top of the tibia until the top of the rod is exposed. The rod is hollow titanium. The top of the rod is threaded. They thread some kind of tool in there and then extract the rod. :cussing: :cussing: It feels great :rolleyes:

biggins
03-10-2005, 03:55 PM
Seriously ABabar-

You are a toughMF.

These kinds of surgeries suck.

Follow me- Get your films and a good account of what you went through in surgery- you'll:

a. indeed feel like a cyborg
b. feel like Rambo as well (grrrrr!)

gonzo
03-10-2005, 05:15 PM
Oh it's in the middle of the bone, secured with a screw. First they make an incision on the side, and use a torx-head screw driver to remove the screw. Then they cut through the patellar tendon and drill out the top of the tibia until the top of the rod is exposed. The rod is hollow titanium. The top of the rod is threaded. They thread some kind of tool in there and then extract the rod. :cussing: :cussing: It feels great :rolleyes:

And they do that with ELEPHANT bones! Holy fuck that must be a big screwdriver!

splat
03-13-2005, 05:23 PM
Gonz - you really need to finish school and GET THE FUCK OUT of the shitty, mang.

L7
03-13-2005, 05:33 PM
I know a 17 year old girl who piled in a SuperG out here in Dec and ended up with her foot pointing backwards. Had surgery for the fib tib and a rod inserted in the tib the next day. She flew home (4 hours) 2 days after surgery. Apparently was going pretty light on the pain meds. I heard today that she is on skis already (real easy skiing on flat stuff). It sounds to me like the process sucks quite a bit but the results are very good and quick.

Arnold Babar
03-13-2005, 05:40 PM
And they do that with ELEPHANT bones! Holy fuck that must be a big screwdriver!
Everything in Elephantland is big, so it's all relative. In my case the rod was secured with two screws: one at the ankle, and one just below the knee. After the bone heals (at about 4 weeks) they take out the ankle screw. They only use a local anesthetic for that, and it doesn't hurt at all, but it is wierd being worked on like you were some kind of machine.

Arnold Babar
03-13-2005, 05:45 PM
I know a 17 year old girl who piled in a SuperG out here in Dec and ended up with her foot pointing backwards. Had surgery for the fib tib and a rod inserted in the tib the next day. She flew home (4 hours) 2 days after surgery. Apparently was going pretty light on the pain meds. I heard today that she is on skis already (real easy skiing on flat stuff). It sounds to me like the process sucks quite a bit but the results are very good and quick.
This is true, and since there is no cast and mobility is encouraged, atrophe is minimized. It's a good thing. But don't accidentally put pressure on it too soon like I did :cussing: even the memory hurts :cussing:

FollowMe
03-15-2005, 07:01 PM
Removed the staples today and the temporary hard cast. Now I'm wearing a removable brace. I was pretty stoked to make this move, but now my ankle can move freely and it fucking hurts to move it even slightly. I was off the pain pills completely as of Sunday (except one at night and one when I'm feeling kinda down and out ;) ), but I think I'll get back on the pain (pill) train for another day to acclimate to the new movement. It was a trip seeing my leg since the surgery. It's friggin' swollen, cut, randomly shaved, generally beat to hell...poor baby. And Arnold, don't know how you got away w/ one screw on each end. I've got at least 2 on each. Hope the doc isn't trying to pay me back for getting a second opinion. L7, good to hear the positive feedback from others. My foot wasn't completely backward, just about half way. Oh well, making progress here and aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh the 'cet is kicking in. One thing that is making this a whole lot easier is that I've got a handicap placard now and that thing is GOLD in SF, especially downtown. Pulled right up in front of the office, parked the beast and I was set for the day. Thanks Nana (and God Bless your sole). No $$, no nada. Oh, the simple pleasures of being a Gimp.

Arnold Babar
03-17-2005, 07:04 AM
Embrace the pain meds while it's acceptable. It will hurt for a while and enduring pain is overrated. It sounds like your case is a bit more severe than mine, TWO screws at each end :eek: . My doc told me that movement was my friend, and the earlier I could tolerate pressure and weight bearing, the better. Said something about the bone healing faster in response to applying stress, something about crystalization process or something. Anyway, another reason to keep hittin' the meds ;).

50kLeg
03-18-2005, 08:27 PM
I just got to go thorugh this three weeks ago. Its not to bad. I shattered my tib/fib skiing Lincoln Mt. at Mammoth Mountain and had my tib puncture my skin also. I went through 4 hours of surgery and have a 14 inch titanium rod through my tib and 4 screws to hold it in place. I already have about 85% movement back in my knee and about 70% movement back in my ankle. Just make sure to do the at home physical thereapy that they tell you to and keep it elevated and on ice and you can stretch out the life of your pain meds drastically. Its kinda nice not haveing a cast and my doc says i should be back walking mildly w/o crutches about mid april which is only 6-7 weeks after breaking it. It sucks though cause my injured leg is already noticably losing muscle to the eye. Good luck with that man!!!

Duker
04-01-2005, 08:25 PM
Went back to the doctor for the first time after gettting out of the hospital after my tib rodding today. 4 weeks is my semi optomistic goal for being not totally dependent on crutches. Its been 10 days since accident/surgery and I am down to 2 davaset and a bunch of tylenol a day. Seems wierd looki at x rays and see fib still broke..... nothing they can do I guess.

FollowMe
04-01-2005, 11:21 PM
4 weeks from today? Let's see, my surgery was 4 weeks ago this Monday and I'm hoping by the following Wednesday I can start f'in around a bit w/ a cane and really start the intense rehab (other than stretches and simple leg lifts). So, it sounds like we're sorta on the same track. I gotta admit, I've been somewhat pessimistic w/ my healing -- for awhile I thought my fucking leg was crooked :eek: , but w/ each day of healing, it appears more normal. The atrophy has been unreal -- my friends actually got kinda freaked out when they saw my leg. Guess that means I'm gonna have to rehab even harder. As far as the pain pills go, immediately following surgery I was on 2 percocets every 4 hours for about 2 days, then 2 every 6 for a day, 1 every 4 for a few, then nada (except when the sutures were removed and my ankle was dangling thereafter) w/ plenty of ibuprofen all the way through. The ibu helps big time. Good luck to you and 50K.

Duker
04-05-2005, 01:27 PM
fell down on my stairs today, Hurt like the dickens. I can now notice that my Fib popping and moving alot (doc says that'll happen a little) Anyone else have a Unrepaired Fib that pops and such?

FollowMe
04-05-2005, 01:47 PM
I had a fib brake too, and felt slight movemment sensations but no noises. I took it really easy. Be careful on stairs...I've got 45 that I gotta clime every day and have had some real close calls - take it slow and easy. They were a real bitch the night of the break and then after surgery.

Arnold Babar
04-07-2005, 08:14 AM
Would not want to be where you guys are, but remember it will all pass. When I first had mine done, and still on crutches, I was throwing a tennis ball to my dog, when she sort of bumped my and I slipped down the stairs of my deck, instinctively put my bad leg down, and did it ever hurt :cussing: . Didn't seem to hinder the overall healing though. Best of luck to you guys.

Duker
04-07-2005, 04:06 PM
similar situation where I put my wieght on the bad leg, it was not a good thing. Im sort of past the pain all the time now though, just frustrated with the poor mobility because Im not allowed to drive at the moment.

Duker
04-10-2005, 11:40 PM
So I have one more question for yall.... Did any of you have a fracture blister? I guess my bone streched the skin when in broke and it left a blood blister about the size of 50 cent piece, It has popped now but the scap is gross and isnt healing fast..... ANy input?

FollowMe
04-11-2005, 01:30 AM
Duker man, no experience with fracture blisters here, but I did have a nasty ass cast blister. Never popped it (cuz the whole time it was burried in one of the 3 casts I had) and it has since healed up nicely.

Well, I may as well throw in an update...It has been 7 weeks now since the original break and 5 weeks since surgery. The swelling in my ankle has now finally gone down enough that I can wear a shoe and flatten my foot, which is great 'cuz I can walk now, with the help of crutches of course. I'm no longer wearing the plastic brace they gave to me after the sutures and cast were removed post surgery. I even fucked around a little bit today and walked/gimped/hobbled with one crutch, 'cept now the break in the tib feels a bit stressed. I'm on the bicycle for 15 minutes a day at mild resistance along w/ streching and leg lifts. At this pace, I'm guessing I'll have the crutches for another week. The fib brake is still fucking with me though and it's annoying cuz it keeps me from sleeping in really stretched out positions, but I'm happy that the worst is behind me.

Duker
04-11-2005, 12:45 PM
Hmm.... That's weird, I never even got a cast (may be due to the differnt location of the break) I just have to wear one of them nasty panty hose deals. I am now just shy of 3 weeks since surgery and am putting pressure on in while on crutches. However, My leg muscles feel so tight that I cant seem to get my foot flat below me, Very wierd and frustrating....

Duker
04-15-2005, 12:47 AM
walked with a cane today! its been 3 weeks since surgery. I feel like I can put a resonable amount of wieght on my leg. The problem is I cant bend my ankle enough underneath me to get my foot flat which still makes a cane impracticle. So, for the time being its back to the crutches most of hte time and maybe some PT to get the ankle back in shape. Sorry for posting so much in this thread but I think it helps the mental stabilty.

Arnold Babar
04-21-2005, 10:13 AM
I rember having ankle issues as well. It will cause you problems for as long as you have the rod in. It was one reason I had it removed. It was a long time ago, but I think I remember jogging at about 5-6 week point. The rod is a fast healer, but beware of lack of ankle flexibility in the future. Do lots of calf raisers. It'll be better when you get that bottom screw out.

FollowMe
04-24-2005, 01:37 PM
Duker man, if you haven't been, ice up the ankle and knee. That really did the trick for me to get it back down to "normal" size and range. Arnold - - you were jogging at 5-6 weeks post rod implant? That's amazing.

Arnold Babar
04-25-2005, 08:30 AM
It was a looooooong time ago, thinking harder about it, there is no way it was that early. Maybe 8 or 12 weeks? That seems more reasonable. I do remember the doc telling me I was a little quck to be jogging. I think I was just off the cane at 5 weeks. Once you start putting pressure on the healing bone it accelerates. I guess the compression speeds up the crystalization process? Sorry about misleading you. My memory is bad, my knowledge little, and my ego large. Keep healing

Duker
04-25-2005, 08:41 PM
So when I rub my finger over one of the smaller incisions I can feel the head of the screw.... That is neat. Anyway, Im sick of the broken leg stuff. I watch people walk and get jelous and bitter. I feel like a 80 year old man.

Arnold Babar
04-26-2005, 08:11 AM
Yeah, huh. Wait till they take it out, and you see your doctor go at you with a tool kit that looks like it came out of someone's garage :D . So here's a question: I had my rod taken out a couple years ago, and it's up on a shelf somewhere. I want to do something neat with it. Suggestions?

Duker
04-28-2005, 01:24 PM
Five week Doc Check up today. Im a little bit a head of the game, Fib has quite of bit of bone Growing. THe Tib has a little less growth but Its coming. Told me to start putting as much wieght as feel comfortable on it.

gonzo
05-02-2005, 01:55 PM
Full assimilation! Fuck it up!

BAP BAP BAP!

:FIREdevil

Zeedashbo
05-02-2005, 02:07 PM
five weeks isn't too bad mang. my buddy had his rod removed four years later cause they were afraid if he broke it again, the rod would get stuck. as for me, i didn't get lucky enough for a rod. i got stuck with a plate and 12 screws.

by the way, this thread sounds like a sexual position.

Duker
05-03-2005, 11:35 AM
hah.

new update. Monday, 4 days after the last doc appointment, I rocked a cane all day.... feels so wierd to be able to walk and carry stuff at the same time. w00t.

Z- that sucks bro, A rod and four screws pales in comparison to what you got.

Zeedashbo
05-05-2005, 03:53 PM
[QUOTE=Duker]

new update. Monday, 4 days after the last doc appointment, I rocked a cane all day.... feels so wierd to be able to walk and carry stuff at the same time. w00t.

QUOTE]

best feeling ever. plus you get to look like a total playa. or playa hater, whatever your choice.

FollowMe
05-06-2005, 12:28 AM
I got a mean pimp limp too, going a way bit by bit.

Duker
05-14-2005, 11:51 PM
I WALKED ALL DAY WITH NO HELP! no cane. crutches or anything.It was actually my brothers wedding too, so I was on my feet most of the day I still have little hop in my step, and I cant quite run yet but Im super excited. I am just shy of 7 weeks since surgery. Its a good feeling not to be dependant, Although I am a bit sore now. W00t.