PDA

View Full Version : EC snow composition question

surftb15
01-23-2005, 10:41 AM
i know this isnt actually an avalanche question, but i thought it would best fit in this forum.

ok, NJ just got a lot of snow-like 15 inches in 24 hours. which may not seem a lot to you guys out west, but its a lot for here. anyway, i thought i would go to this hill to ski "powder"--the hill was app 750-800 ft-which its about the highest point in nj.

the snow was real, real light-almost like powder in Jackson or Alta belive it or not. However, you could not ski in it. the skis would just sink, and then the bindings would release. even if u built up momentum by patting down a lot of snow, gaining significant speed, then going in the "powder" it would still happen.

my question is, why-even though the snow seems to be the same-is it different? is the snow out west less dense, or are the crystals arranged in a different pattern? i have really no clue, beause honestly, the snow was exactly like a pow day snow out west.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks

snorkeldeep
01-23-2005, 11:17 AM
wind affected. it blew hard last night. also, there seemed to be a surprising amount of consolidation around the city from waht i was playing in last night to what we shot this am.

surftb15
01-23-2005, 01:35 PM
wind affected.

yeah im sure, the wind was blowing towards the hill fast. but it still wasnt exaclty wind packed snow, not at all. the wind was blowing there for a little, and it didnt actually harden. it was still light and fluffy in the sense that u couldnt make a snowball and when u picked the snow up it would just "crumble"

snorkeldeep
01-23-2005, 02:00 PM
agree w/ you on that.. but last night was skiing a lot different than it was today. everything i skiied today was super slabby and "wind affected". under it was grainy and unpackable.. but the top was a bit weird. could be due to the temp change as well? im definitely no expert.. but its warmed up about 10-15 degrees in 24 hours since it started snowing.