PDA

View Full Version : probe length

supercow
09-29-2004, 08:45 AM
since EC snowpacks generally aren't that deep how long a probe should I be looking at is 190 too short? I would think that a guide probe of 300 is going to be a bit overkill

summit
09-29-2004, 10:03 AM
since EC snowpacks generally aren't that deep how long a probe should I be looking at is 190 too short? I would think that a guide probe of 300 is going to be a bit overkill

Well BCA seems to think 180 is acceptable most of the time and has some studies to back it up /w depth vs survival. As far as 300 vs the avg snowpack depth, remember that the avvy debris piles up to depth on its own accord in the runout. You could have a terrain trap where debris was more than 300 deep.

Say... I have a friend at RPI and a bro at Union... you affiliated with either?

Spamhelmet
09-29-2004, 01:35 PM
240 or 300cm.

Saving on your probe length is plain idiocy.

You cannot count that 190cm pole would reach to snow depth of 190cm.
You need to have 40-50cm of probe on the TOP of the snow to use
it even remotely confortably.
Have seen many people leave a 100cm of pole on the top of the snow while
sonding on a regular avalanche drill due their nervousness/inexperience.
In that case that given person would have searched the victim from the
depth of 90cm...
And if you participate in SAR operations, where you have to sond for a larger area, there is no substitute for thelonger sonds.
But it is true, from the depths of greater than 240cm, surviving a burial
is very marginal.

So go to the gym and work out so that you can carry the extra 50grams
that the longer sond weights.

Ps. The longer 300cm sonds double up as a reserve/alternative tentpole in certain tents (MHW at least). Less carrying around on longer trips.
And the longer sond is a good thing when you are poking around for a snowcave place. Saves you 4 hours of digging when you can avoid
the goddam stones..

cololi
09-29-2004, 01:43 PM
As menitoned, the longer the better. You aren't probing the snowpack depth, you are probing the deposition pile, which is much deeper. The weight in a probe is marginal.

trainnvain
09-29-2004, 01:57 PM
since EC snowpacks generally aren't that deep how long a probe should I be looking at is 190 too short? I would think that a guide
probe of 300 is going to be a bit overkill

Get the extra (at least 240)
Two Fractures on the Headwall of Tuck's third week of Jan. and third week of Mar. last year attached.
The deposits from these two were huge, no matter where you are.

summit
09-29-2004, 02:00 PM
I guess I should have noted that I carry a 240.
For SAR, we have rigid 400s.

PNWbrit
09-29-2004, 02:03 PM
Supercow - only the other day you were talking about how you over pack for straightforward BC day trips. How come you're trying to lighten up now on safety gear?

Go with a big metal shovel and a long probe. if your buddy turns up with anything less insist on switching! Offer to carry water to make up the weight difference.

supercow
09-29-2004, 04:57 PM
i wasn't trying to lighten up the pack actually, I just wanna have the right tool for the right job and not show up at a trailhead with gear totally unneccessary for my needs. 250 ish sound like the right length or should I just get the longest probe that you can buy?

Also keep in mind that the longer probes tend to have a larger diameter making them stiffer. Ever try punching through hard slab debris with a wet noodle, while wearing wet gloves and holding onto a pole as thick as a pencil? It sucks, Go long and go thick... (but not longer than 300)