PDA

View Full Version : In the mail today...

Max Gosey
11-30-2004, 09:23 PM
...was a letter addressed to Gregory Maxwell Gosey. It was kind of a long letter, so I shall pick out the important points. The relavant points include the following:

"Dear Gregory:

Congratulations! I am pleased to offer you admission to the College of Arts and Sciences at the University of Colorado at Boulder for fall semester 2005.

...In addition, you will enjoy our beautiful Rocky Mountain environment (they sure as hell got that one right!)...

...Once again, congratulations on your admission to the University of Colorado at Boulder. Please contact us if you have any questions.

Sincerely,
Executive Director of Admissions"

Can I get a FKNA? FKNA!!! Finally busting my ass in high school seems so totally worth it! I don't really know what the point of this post is, other than to celebrate, but I'm just very happy to be in. :biggrin:

So, yep. I'm going to CU!!!!

fez
11-30-2004, 09:33 PM
oh yeah? well look what i just got in my email inbox

Hello,

I am Mr. Smith Bowani, an auditor of a reputable bank in Johannesburg, Gauteng Province in the Republic of South Africa. I have an urgent and very confidential business proposition for you.

We had a foreign client named Mr. Wooin Shim, who deposited a huge sum of money (18.6 Million United States Dollars), with our bank. Eventually, this client died in a plane crash and since his death we have not had anybody come up for the claims as the next of kin.

You may want to take a look at other passengers, who were on the same plane; here is a site for your perusal.http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/9708/06/guam.passenger.list/

A situation I have monitored closely with my position in the bank. Now having monitored this deposit and managed it over the years before his death, and hence nobody has showed up as the next of kin for the past years. I now solicit for your assistance to present you as the next of kin as every other arrangement/ processes will be monitored by me and my partners involved. However I got your contact from a trade consultant here in South Africa, though I did not disclose the purpose of my seeking for a foreign business partner to him. Although we will still have to sign some agreement before the final transfer of the fund into any of your designated bank account.

I have involved a very senior official in the operational department, and we have agreed that after the transfer of the money into your account, you shall be entitled to 20% of the total sum, my colleagues and I will have 75% while 5% will be used to reimburse any expenses incurred. All necessary precautions have been taken to ensure a risk free situation on the side of both parties. Please note that this deal can only take place on the following conditions;

1. Absolute confidentiality and sincerity will be required and guaranteed, considering our positions in the bank.

2. Assurance that our own share will be released to us in good faith when this money finally gets into your account.

Please treat with utmost confidentiality. Contact me as quickly as possible through my e-mail.

Expecting your urgent response,

Best Regards,

MR. SMITH BOWANI

im going to be rich mother fucker, you hear me, rich!!! hahahhahahahahahaha

MOHSHSIHd
11-30-2004, 09:44 PM
Fez, i really hope you realize that that letter is part of a scam that has been going around for YEARS.....dont do it....100% BS SCAM.....

Max, i went to CU last year full time as a freshmen, skied 120 days and got booted....now i take a night class there and go to community college during the day....

and i dont know about you, but i got a 2.7 in HS, no clubs or anything, and a 1210 on the SATs....so it seems like they let ANYONE into CU.....be prepared for 350 people in some of your classes.....also be prepared for alot of really stupid kids....just keep your head on straight and GO TO CLASS.....

CU isnt for everyone.....im not into the whole "lets drink till we die" mentality and riots and landrovers and escalades and stuff....but maybe thats right up your alley...good luck....

natty dread
11-30-2004, 09:46 PM
I wouldn't believe him fez, whoever heard of a guy with a first name of Smith?

BobMc
11-30-2004, 09:47 PM
Fez, i really hope you realize that that letter is part of a scam that has been going around for YEARS.....dont do it....100% BS SCAM.....

Sarcasm is really lost on some people.

BobMc

MOHSHSIHd
11-30-2004, 09:49 PM

BobMc

i thought he was kidding, but you can never be sure

Max Gosey
11-30-2004, 09:53 PM
I won't drink till I die. But I'll ski a lot. 50 days and a 3.5 seems better for my interests than 120 and dropping out...

Thanks for the advice, mang.

Edit: congrats, fez! Beers for all of us at the Summit, eh? ;)

MOHSHSIHd
11-30-2004, 09:57 PM
I won't drink till I die. But I'll ski a lot. 50 days and a 3.5 seems better for my interests than 120 and dropping out...

Thanks for the advice, mang.

Edit: congrats, fez! Beers for all of us at the Summit, eh? ;)

i dont know the level of your addiction, but its VERY easy to let the mountains lure you away from your studies.....just be smart....im sure you will be fine...

i have just always been a bad student and a skiing addict...

Max Gosey
11-30-2004, 10:00 PM
Heh. I'll be tested, that's for sure... They taught us "JUST SAY NO!" back in 4th grade. Guess I'll have to re-consult my elementary textbooks...

cumerritt
11-30-2004, 10:16 PM
Congratulations

telechuck
11-30-2004, 10:49 PM
Congrats.

During the first week or so of school Eldora sells student passes for $100. Do not pass this up. You can even ride the bus there if you don't have a car.

I am in the MBA program at CU and skied 50 days last year and will do more this year and still get the grades necessary to get a decent job. Time management is key. It means no sitting around in front of the TV.

I went absolutely nuts my first semester in college. My grades and alcohol consumption showed that. Do not follow that path. Suck it up and do your homework and establish a groove for yourself right away. Trust me, you will have tons of fun and still do well in school.

Enjoy.

seldon
11-30-2004, 10:50 PM
Congrats dude. Way to move to the mountains.

nealric
11-30-2004, 11:28 PM
Transfer to colorado college if you want a real school :FIREdevil

J/K

Enjoy!

Alkasquawlik
11-30-2004, 11:31 PM

Sellout.

Dude, I ski over 150 days and still have a 4.0
let it be noted I'm a 21 year old sophmore, and plan to graduate around 2007

Oh yeah, and congrats. From the Bayou to Boulder, that's a pretty good trade up.

summit
12-01-2004, 12:57 AM
congrats dude!

Max Gosey
12-01-2004, 01:28 AM
Many thanks. Especially to Mr. Merritt (thanks for showing me around dude) who came personally to counsel me on my visit to the campus. He's a good man...

Also I don't want to forget the people whom I annoyed through my whole admissions process (Yo Lane... Mr. Essay man) who made me put more effort into the whole deal. Sorry for bugging you guys with asking where to go and what to do, but it worked out quite well, if I might say so.

Hopefully I'll be seeing some of you Ralphie-lovin' maggots around next fall. :yourock: Go Buffs!

Vets
12-01-2004, 05:36 AM
Congratulations Max!
Also, since you requested it, FKNA!

teledave
12-01-2004, 06:45 AM
Congrats are in order to you Max.

Although I'm sure fez is disappointed, but he still has AKPM left to be roomies with next fall.

;)

FNG
12-01-2004, 07:09 AM
Good work mang.

A few words of advice...

1.) take the easiest possible classes your first semester. Gym classes. Lots of gym classes. Get a super gpa going after your first semester then you can fuck around with the hard/interesting classes.

2.) related to #1: stay the fuck off academic probation. it totally craps your style.

3.) meet with your advisor at least once a semester, usually around time to register for classes.

4.) never, EVER go to a bar that has a cover charge unless there's a live band, super cheep beer specials, or free strippers.

5.) don't work too hard. college is about learning about your self just as much as it's about learning about math and shit.

-edit- 6.) sit next to the pretty girl on the first day of class.

bdog
12-01-2004, 07:18 AM
Well done Max! : :D There is some real good advice posted here. First semester at school, first time away from home has many distractions .... not to mention the mountains. Congrats Max!

Karl Stall
12-01-2004, 07:27 AM
Good advice, FNG.

Congrats, Max. I think you'll stop being such a vicarious joneser once you're close to the goods. I like your choice of CU - it was my recommendation to you.

Also, be careful about the freshman fizzle, as my wife, too, was kicked out after her freshman year and had to go through the night school readmission process - said it was a hassle.

bdog
12-01-2004, 07:36 AM
Oh Yes Max, I forgot .... FKNA!

truth
12-01-2004, 08:24 AM

BobMc

Oh the irony.

The Reverend Floater
12-01-2004, 08:30 AM
Nice, Max! Congrats.

Kellie
12-01-2004, 09:27 AM
Congrats Max! Enjoy the remainder of your senior year now that you're in, and live it up while you're there . . . I found that with small sacrifices in the sleep department, it's amazing how much you can do, and the opportunities at a big school are seemingly endless. FKNA!

TheDingleberry
12-01-2004, 09:54 AM
VP-
After two years of reading your college posts I have one thing to say:

FUCKING A.

It is great to hear that you will be relocating to the mountians.

Max Gosey
12-01-2004, 10:12 AM
Wow... I didn't know so many people cared. I feel special... :)

Oh, and nice avatar, Dingleberry. A little extreme but... nice.

And Kellie: so right you are! Time spent on extracurriculars will be about 10% of what it was (because, from what I hear, they are no longer necessary... at least for a big state school, not some exclusive private place), and the enjoyment will probably go UP 10 fold. 'Specially since it's SNOWING all over the country! And I'm headed that way quite soon! A time to rejoice, for, in the words of my good friend who was at my house printing out the final draft of his "huge" Senior Research Paper (ha): "Hiiiigh schooool's ooover! :cool:"

Let's get funky, baby.

homerjay
12-01-2004, 10:16 AM
Congrats Max.

The 'Lame Duck' period of high school is one of the finest times in a young man's life. :yourock:

freshies
12-01-2004, 10:31 AM
congrats! i will echo what some said here: i went to CU for 2 yrs (fro/soph) and managed to average about 100 days a yr skiing, double that amount partying, and ended up with a whopping 15 credit hours (i dropped so many classes...better than getting ding'ed with a bad GPA)....finally had to transfer to get some academic stuff done. but is sure was fun...this was CU back in its heydays: '88, '89, when anything went, mall crawl hadn't been invaded by gang bangers, and a mellow vibe hung over sunny Boulder....ahhh...college...

congrats, have fun, ski a lot, and experiemnt with everything ;)

hev
12-01-2004, 01:35 PM
congrats MAX! :yourock:

Some more advice from a CU alumn...

take your easiest clases 2nd semester - you'll want to start off easy but second semester is the ski semester so plan your schedule to try and take a lighter load for this time of year. summer class and may-mester are a great way to sneak in credits you didn't want to take during the winter. sign up for way more classes than you need, feel out your professors, scope the class size, get the curiculum and look for cute girls. cut out the classes you don't need a few days into the semester when you figure out what's going to work best.

don't miss out on the eldora pass deal - the place is small and a bit limited but it's got some good terrain, a park and is super close. you also get a free bus pass with your CU ID and can ride the bus there easily. I regurlary skied half days there and attended classes in the afternoon or morning. I was able to ski about 50-70 days a season and managed to graduate with an engineering degree in 4 years. break down the math, and figure out how much each class costs and you'll see why it's important to go and graduate in a timely manner.

Duker
12-01-2004, 01:43 PM
Congrats max.... Dont forget to rape the kicker.

AntiSoCalSkier
12-01-2004, 02:24 PM
Congratulations!

One thing that no one has mentioned is that the last few months of high school will be very strange in some ways. I've observed this in high school, and college. Since everyone suddenly realizes that they will not see each other again, all the normal social structures tend to break down. The cliques break up and people start hanging out with new friends, Old couples break up and new couples start, and old enemies are new friends. I suspect this is due to the fact that people feel like they have nothing to lose. Anyway, be prepared for it, and don't be too offended if your friends start acting strangely.

h4801
12-01-2004, 06:19 PM
max, don't leave me playa.

Max Gosey
12-01-2004, 08:15 PM
Cryan, I have to. The mountains call. There is NO effing way I will stay here just to eat your mom's food... She seems to cite that as the only reason I should remain here.

FNG
12-01-2004, 08:20 PM
But would you stay there to eat his mom?

PrankMonkey
12-01-2004, 08:29 PM
Congrats, perhaps your buffs will have the pleasure of dominating our huskers yet again next year. Good Luck in class, college is a bitch, but it's the most fun and (this sounds really lame but it's true) rewarding things I've ever done. and for god's sake don't stoop to the level of scraping together cash for Barton's and then forgeting completely about a mixer (not recomended) have fun

Showtime06
12-01-2004, 08:39 PM
awesome job nice to hear!! I'm also a senior in HS and applied early to Colby up in maine near the loaf...I'll find out dec 15 so pretty sure school is over on the 16th (knock on wood)...but anyways congrats CU should be a good time

Max Gosey
03-28-2005, 11:26 AM
Bump for the scholarship money that is making this all possible...

Yo soy un Norlin Scholar ahora. :biggrin:

And to think... a month ago they were threatening me with LSU if I "didnt get my ass in gear."

Hell, I was so excited that I asked for a bike for my birthday. It's official now, players.

DaveTV
03-28-2005, 11:37 AM
Congrats kid - I think ELDORA has a $99 college season pass - http://boulderfreeride.com/marketing/200405seasonpass.html

AfroMullet
03-28-2005, 11:37 AM
definitely sweet.

Lots of happiness on the boards today.

Below Zero
03-28-2005, 12:49 PM
Congrats, Max. Welcome to Colorado!

Mountain Freak
03-28-2005, 01:23 PM
Atta Boy Max, like below zero said, Welcome to Colorado. The state is a ton of fun even outside ski season. One thing you'll have to do is climb Longs Peak in the off season, truley a sweet mountain. Climbing will keep you in shape for ski season. I really got addicted to climbing out here, so be prepared to speand a boat load of $$$ on gear! :D

Max Gosey
03-28-2005, 06:57 PM
Congrats kid - I think ELDORA has a $99 college season pass - http://boulderfreeride.com/marketing/200405seasonpass.html

I heard that, yo. I'm definitely down.

And roger on that happiness bit. Seems to be a good day for a lot of us. Was for me. I got the pin out of my wrist and an estimate that says I'll be waterskiing by Mother's Day. AND the weather was unbelievable. :)

Edit: just saw Mountain Freak's post. And I think you're right. I LOVE the climbing gym here and am looking forward to a monthly membership at the one they just built like 7 minutes from my house (well once they offer memberships...) when my wrist heals. Like I said, I got a bike coming for my birthday this year--per desire to take advantage of all of the opportunities of the Rockies--, and I think I may have a climbing harness coming next year. :cool: Hope I can find some maggots to climb and/or bike with when the time comes.

KevinDineen
03-28-2005, 07:00 PM
Remember, you're allowed to rape chicks, but only if you're big 12 champs.

Max Gosey
03-28-2005, 07:02 PM

Heh... I just remembered that when I was thinking about booking my orientation session. :FIREdevil

Guess I'd better get a football outfit to make the most of my trip up there...

Mountain Freak
03-28-2005, 07:05 PM

Naa, you just need to be a recruit. Give Barnett a call he'll hook you up with some tail.

ak_powder_monkey
03-28-2005, 08:50 PM
cool I still haven't gotten in Western oh Well bellingham was one of the ugliest towns I've been in... Damn

Enjoy colorado, see you at the summit next year

funkendrenchman
03-28-2005, 09:03 PM
cool I still haven't gotten in Western oh Well bellingham was one of the ugliest towns I've been in... Damn

Enjoy colorado, see you at the summit next year

Ha, funny...

Anyway, Max, could I suggest a winter driving course considering you are from somwhere that gets NO SNOW? You have no idea how many clueless Texans frequent the mountains. This means that if you buy a pickup... for god's sake get four wheel drive. Also, remember 4 wheel drive does nothing on ice and nothing to help you stop!

vinnay
03-28-2005, 09:11 PM
last year, i didnt exactly relocate to the mountains, but getting into the college you want to go to is a dope feeling. a lot of friends at boulder, sounds like a good time in all respects.

Max Gosey
03-28-2005, 09:21 PM
Ha, funny...

Anyway, Max, could I suggest a winter driving course considering you are from somwhere that gets NO SNOW? You have no idea how many clueless Texans frequent the mountains. This means that if you buy a pickup... for god's sake get four wheel drive. Also, remember 4 wheel drive does nothing on ice and nothing to help you stop!

Word. The pops and I are on the lookout for an AWD Outback in the semi-distant future (or related vehicle...) But that's a bridge I'll cross when I get to it.

Good idea though, fer shur.

Turn Up The Gravity!
03-29-2005, 08:56 AM
Congrats, Max - what will you be studying?

Max Gosey
03-31-2005, 04:08 PM
biochem/pre-med/skiology

DJMingus
03-31-2005, 04:28 PM
Congrats Max - you're gonna have a good time at CU, not to mention skiing and climbing all around here.

Turn Up The Gravity!
03-31-2005, 06:33 PM
biochem/pre-med

Hoping to go to med school?

Max Gosey
04-01-2005, 10:11 AM
Hoping to go to med school?

Plannin' on it, yulp. Orthopedics, baby. A logical career in a ski town. :cool: