PDA

View Full Version : length of brace-dom???

Theodore
10-11-2004, 11:07 PM
First off I did search and saw Basom's thread re:braces, and got some answers there, but I was just wondering what the consensus was on how long post-op to wear the knee brace while on skis. IIRC my doc said forever, but then again he doubted that I'd ever be back to 100% and was quite suprised to see me walk normally again. For the record I did in my ACL, LCL, 2nd deg sprain of the PCL and ripped off my 1/3 of my hammy, last surgery was in the fall of '02. I have a Breg tradition X2K. Its pretty comfy, but it does interfere with my boot a bit and at the end of a long day my chin is pretty indented and sore. My knee does feel bomber with it on, and it does help the confidence, but it seems like some Maggots are leaving theirs behind. So what are the thoughts on this?

Ted

Vinman
10-12-2004, 08:23 AM
ACL/LCL/PCL AND hamstring tear? How the hell did you do that? The MCL is more commonly injured along with the ACL but this sounds like a unique and very nasty injury mechanism. Seriuously how did it happen?

As far as how long you should wear your brace.....not sure anyone here can really tell you what to do. That is something you and your doc need to discuss. Your injury is very different from the "run of the mill" ACL tears for lack of a better description that most maggots here have been through. Multiple ligament injuries = multi-directional instability = possible increased need for bracing.

As you have read for other threads 1 year is the norm for most ACL recons as far as bracing goes. But with a complex injury such as yours I would expect it to be longer than that depending on how stable your knee is without a brace. As far as the shin soreness you are experienceing, I would also bring that up to your Doc. maybe you could get ins. to buck up for a more ski boot friendly brace. The Don Joy defiance comes with a shorter lower section to fit ski boots better and only has straps that cross over the front of the shin.

Good luck Ted

Theodore
10-12-2004, 09:40 AM
ACL/LCL/PCL AND hamstring tear? How the hell did you do that? The MCL is more commonly injured along with the ACL but this sounds like a unique and very nasty injury mechanism. Seriuously how did it happen?

Playing football with some friends. I had the ball and was running upfield. Stopped suddenly and cut to my right, but my left leg locked and right then, with all my momentum on it I got hit from behind by my friend who is really fast. So all of his weight plus mine broke the knee out and back a bit. Then I hit the ground like a sack of rocks. As for the shin hurting, thats just overlap from the brace and boot. And pics of the Defiance?? I googled it and all I get are shitty websites that are all text or brace dealers who websites, judging on the pics, were made in the late 80's. The ski pics on those sites are pretty funny though.

altagirl
10-12-2004, 09:58 AM
If the brace is hitting your boot and bothering you, I'd push for a different brace. My Donjoy Defiance (short calf version) doesn't interfere with my boots at all - no shin dents, pinching... it's fine.

With all the damage you did... yikes. If it's helping you, I'd probably stick with a brace. My ortho just got back from a conference and said the latest study of ACL patients who ski shows a 4% re-injury rate for people who are wearing braces, 8% for those who don't. FWIW...

danadog
10-12-2004, 10:00 AM
like Vinman said every case varries.
I have tore my ACL and MCL twice. The first time wakeboarding and the second time skiing with a custom Townsend brace on. After the second trip under the knife I had to fight with my Doc to even get a brace. He did give me one but told me that I should only wear it to over come my head game that I had going on about the knee brace. I wore it 2/3 times and never again. Although I do everything I can to keep my legs strong as hell. Lots of biking and weights.
Best of luck and listen to your doc as he know your knee best.

Vinman
10-12-2004, 11:07 AM
Donjoy website

http://www.donjoy.com/products/DonJoy/physdistrep/detail.asp?id=20

Theodore
10-12-2004, 11:19 AM
Donjoy website

http://www.donjoy.com/products/DonJoy/physdistrep/detail.asp?id=20

Hehe, who would've thought to look there??? Stupid head cold. Maybe a mix of the snake skin and butterflies.... or the all black. Thanks for the link. I need to get health insurance again before I go prodding for "free" braces.