PDA

View Full Version : Knee diagnosis - MRI report

altagirl
10-04-2004, 11:14 AM
MRI shows complete ACL tear, Grade 1 MCL sprain (slight), and bruised lateral tibial plateau (the last two will heal on their own and are pretty much non-issues), meniscus looks good. Doc checked my knee again and said it still doesn't feel that unstable and there's a chance the MRI could be wrong.

He said if I want, I can skip surgery until it blows out again because it isn't grossly unstable now. But my other knee didn't work out like that - it felt fine and then gave out over and over again until I had surgery. Chances of that working in any sort of long term are very minimal. It's so tempting to go that way, but deep down I know that's just putting off the inevitable. It already collapsed twice...

Or he'll go in, start the surgery with a scope, check on the ACL, if it's there or only a partial tear that still looks functional, he'll close it up and that'll be it. But he'll have the graft on hand, so if my ACL is really gone, he'll replace it. I have to go with that and just hope I wake up with just a scope to recover from.

(fingers crossed)

Oct 18 is the date...

phUnk
10-04-2004, 11:17 AM
++thoughts++

CS
10-04-2004, 11:20 AM
Bummer.

Best of luck with the impending surgery and recovery.

basom
10-04-2004, 11:20 AM
sounds like what happened to dex his first time under.

fwiw my knee seemed stable to some of the multiple docs i consulted. aparently i was 'gaurding', because it seemed obvious in the MRI that the thing was compleatly ruptured.

your prolly making a prudent call. good luck, wear that sweatshit.

gincognito
10-04-2004, 11:31 AM
Good luck, AG and be sure to take all your own advice.

Sick and ashamed and happy (and we should all do something cool with our scars at the Jackson Summit),
d.

Ski Monkey
10-04-2004, 11:43 AM
Bummer, sorry to hear that C. Positive thoughts!

If you two need anything while recovering let me know. http://tetongravity.com/ubb/icons/icon14.gif

zion zig zag
10-04-2004, 11:46 AM
It was cool to see how positive you were the other night, that will go along ways. My fingers are crossed with you.

xboat
10-04-2004, 11:50 AM
fackinsucks :(

freshie247
10-04-2004, 12:07 PM
Best of luck,

We'll dedicate some turns to you at the mini!

altagirl
10-04-2004, 12:14 PM
Thanks guys!

In other knee news... (and since we discuss this regularly around here) my doc just got back from a conference late last week and said the latest study shows that skiers who wear a brace after ACL recon have a 4% re-injury rate, 8% re-injury for those not wearing braces. It would be interesting to see details on what time period it covered, etc.

bagtagley
10-04-2004, 12:14 PM
Good luck to you. Hoping things are intact.

Xover
10-04-2004, 12:34 PM
good luck C

guess that means alot of GMD time for ya :D

teledave
10-04-2004, 12:38 PM
Hope all goes well and you actually wake up with the "just a 'scope" scenario.

Crinkle
10-04-2004, 12:41 PM
best of luck with the scope. Tough time to have to go through this.

G
10-04-2004, 12:44 PM
+good luck+

Bum Z
10-04-2004, 12:57 PM
I'm sorry to hear that - good luck with the operation.

altachic
10-04-2004, 12:59 PM
Best of luck with the scope, let's hope that's all that needs to happen!

You know we are thinkin' of ya. :D

skibe
10-04-2004, 01:27 PM
Oh man that really sucks. Hope all turns out ok.

spanky
10-04-2004, 01:33 PM
What happened AG? I've been away for a while. I hadn't heard you hurt your knee. Best of luck with the prognosis and a speedy recovery.

homerjay
10-04-2004, 01:36 PM
You made me feel better after my little scope job this summer....I hope yours turns out to be minor and hopefully your downtime will be minimal.

Tyrone Shoelaces
10-04-2004, 01:41 PM
MRI shows complete ACL tear, Grade 1 MCL sprain (slight), and bruised lateral tibial plateau (the last two will heal on their own and are pretty much non-issues), meniscus looks good. Doc checked my knee again and said it still doesn't feel that unstable and there's a chance the MRI could be wrong.

damn.

well, if it makes you feel any better. I'm right there with ya. I'll be getting my surgery a little while after you.

wanna race? ;)

Mental Square
10-04-2004, 01:58 PM
http://www.scoopsnoodle.com/large/DSC06002-01.jpg

altagirl
10-04-2004, 02:03 PM
wanna race? ;)

Ha.

Race to full ROM?

Who can do the most straight leg raises?

Who can tolerate the highest level on the e-stim machine? ;)

edit: heh, that ^ made me laugh. :D

phUnk
10-04-2004, 02:04 PM
Bike vs girl???

What did actually happen?
http://tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17018

basom
10-04-2004, 02:06 PM
Who can tolerate the highest level on the e-stim machine? ;)

ooh, i can hang in this category. i maxed out the big machine, everone called me the masochist in the office. especially when i'd complain that it didn't hurt enough, could you please turn it up>

altagirl
10-04-2004, 02:13 PM
Bike vs girl???

What did actually happen?

Oddly enough, it wasn't some big wreck that got me... just put a foot down (I'm gonna have to quit with the dabbing), must've weighted it oddly, and it gave out. Jumped back on the bike, thinking I could finish the race, but the next time I dabbed it collapsed again (sideways and inwards) and I couldn't even get back up that time.

Weird, but I've walked away from some gnarly wrecks without a scratch... I guess sooner or later something was going to get me.

altagirl
10-04-2004, 02:15 PM
ooh, i can hang in this category. i maxed out the big machine, everone called me the masochist in the office. especially when i'd complain that it didn't hurt enough, could you please turn it up>

Mr.AG and I go in for PT together tomorrow afternoon. He got me on Friday, but I was out of practice... ;)

Buzzworthy
10-04-2004, 02:17 PM
Mr.AG and I go in for PT together tomorrow afternoon. He got me on Friday, but I was out of practice... ;)

Quality family time? :D

And thanks phUnk, that phUnk, he is such a nice guy :p

natty dread
10-04-2004, 02:25 PM
Good luck AG, sounds like you're making the right choice. If you come to the GMD or AL this year, don't plan on paying for beer if I'm around. ;)

altagirl
10-04-2004, 02:29 PM
Quality family time? :D

The dog came in limping for a few minutes the other day and we were laughing our asses off picturing him hooked up to an e-stim machine next to us at PT. Guess he felt left out... (couldn't find anything wrong with him.)

Tyrone Shoelaces
10-04-2004, 02:31 PM
Ha.

Race to full ROM?

You're on!

Is that the first logical goal?

Maybe we can have a series of goals, and whomever reaches it first, the other buys them a beer at either the Utah Mini 05-06 or the next major Summit 'cause we're both gonna be there fully healed, and ready to rip schit up 100%.

Mr. Altagirl
10-04-2004, 02:38 PM

This is one competition I think I can do pretty well at. I've been on both machines three times a week for a month now. I've found that you can make PT that much more enjoyable if you can make the other patients freak out a bit. I like to max the electro-machines out and make my leg twitch uncontrollably. Some of the weaker folks really have a problem with this for some reason (plus it makes your leg look all buffed out). It's cool to arouse the therapist too..."Good God, do you really think you need that much stimulation?"..."Doesn't that hurt?" NEVER, bring it on! (I’m going to be at opening day I tell them, ‘nough said) :D

basom
10-04-2004, 02:45 PM
This is one competition I think I can do pretty well at. I've been on both machines three times a week for a month now. I've found that you can make PT that much more enjoyable if you can make the other patients freak out a bit. I like to max the electro-machines out and make my leg twitch uncontrollably. Some of the weaker folks really have a problem with this for some reason (plus it makes your leg look all buffed out). It's cool to arouse the therapist too..."Good God, do you really think you need that much stimulation?"..."Doesn't that hurt?" NEVER, bring it on! (I’m going to be at opening day I tell them, ‘nough said) :D
:D
i had it three x week x 2 months. i really fruck out one of the pretty intern girls. 'that doesn't hurt?" eyes bugging out of her head as she tops off the voltage Even Trot doesnt take that much!
"baseball players are wimps i informed her. if he was a skier you'd be used to seeing this."

i loved how jacked my quads felt afterward. i want to get a nurse practioners licence just to be able to buy one of those dealies

Darkside
10-04-2004, 02:54 PM
hey, I don't know you, but good luck and hope you get in tons of spring turns!

m1e448
10-04-2004, 03:49 PM
Good luck AG. Hopefully you'll be making turns this year, but if not it won't be new to you and I'd expect you to be back in less time than others considering you're an old pro. Just work at your ROM the first week and you'll be set. By the way I assume you're going cadaver because you mentioned graft, but could be wrong and was wondering what you decided on. BEST LUCK

altagirl
10-04-2004, 05:25 PM
By the way I assume you're going cadaver because you mentioned graft, but could be wrong and was wondering what you decided on. BEST LUCK

Yep. I was leaning that way after doing research, talking to other skiers who've had them, and got the "that's what I'd do if it were me in your situation" from my doc. And he's now using a company for the grafts that custom cuts it specifically for the patient. So I'll have a patellar graft - just from someone else, and it can be bigger than what they'd be able to take from my own patella (since the person they're taking it from doesn't need a functional patellar tendon anymore). Not to mention that my patellar alignment isn't perfect as it is, and I've had some prior impact damage to my patella on that knee, so he doesn't want to mess with it.

stump832
10-04-2004, 05:31 PM
It was good meeting you on Saturday at Suede AG - best of luck with the surgery.

altagirl
10-04-2004, 07:23 PM
You're on!

Is that the first logical goal?

Maybe we can have a series of goals, and whomever reaches it first, the other buys them a beer at either the Utah Mini 05-06 or the next major Summit 'cause we're both gonna be there fully healed, and ready to rip schit up 100%.

Sounds like a plan!

I guess the very first step is to do a straight leg raise with no lag/slack - I remember trying it right out of anesthesia and thinking I was going to pass out... Then you need to get enough ROM to be able to ride the bike (110 or so I think), then finally get it completely back so your legs are equally flexible again, getting strength back, etc. Once they're a certain percentage of equal strength you get cleared to run, etc. Anyway, I've been quite the gym rat all summer, so I'm going to plan on coming up with other upper/full body goals too while I'm at it. I did my first ever real pull-ups over the weekend, so I've got to keep it up. :)

Anyway, I owe you a beer already for coming up with the shirts... ;) Mine shipped on Saturday - can't wait to wear it to PT.

basom
10-05-2004, 12:13 PM
all of those are penuts compared to the one i want. you don't need a prescrpiton for those nancy shockers.

i was asking my therapist, the one i waws on three times a week goes for ten grand or something. thats the good shit http://tetongravity.com/ubb/icons/icon6.gif

basom
10-05-2004, 12:28 PM
well, its pretty big.......

http://www.msky.org/pictures/boston_small/day4/small991127-1427-S1.0A4.4Z38_166.jpg

Grange
10-05-2004, 12:31 PM
I'll dedicate my second drink tonight to Altagirl. The first one's already dedicated to 2P.

Agent 00X
10-08-2004, 07:15 AM
Have a speedy and good recovery AG, you too Mr. AG.

Arty50
10-08-2004, 10:18 AM
How did I miss this? I'm a moron.

Good luck with the surgery Altagirl!

Oh, and can we take sidebets on the competition with Shoe? :D

Tyrone Shoelaces
10-08-2004, 10:25 AM
Sounds like a plan!

I guess the very first step is to do a straight leg raise with no lag/slack - I remember trying it right out of anesthesia and thinking I was going to pass out... Then you need to get enough ROM to be able to ride the bike (110 or so I think), then finally get it completely back so your legs are equally flexible again, getting strength back, etc. Once they're a certain percentage of equal strength you get cleared to run, etc. Anyway, I've been quite the gym rat all summer, so I'm going to plan on coming up with other upper/full body goals too while I'm at it. I did my first ever real pull-ups over the weekend, so I've got to keep it up. :)

Anyway, I owe you a beer already for coming up with the shirts... ;) Mine shipped on Saturday - can't wait to wear it to PT.

how about the enough ROM to get on a bike milestone? that seems like a pretty significant goal. Date stamped photographic evidence required? :D