PDA

View Full Version : Smith Optics - setting the customer service bar again. props to USPS as well

buckethead
09-02-2009, 02:51 PM
This past Monday I sent a couple of pairs of sunglasses to Smith (to UT from NY), one for a warrantee claim, the other for a repair.
about 50 hours later i received a call from Smith, with a claim number and the appropriate credit to order new sunglasses directly from them.

While Smith recommends sending claim items back by FedEx or UPS, they provide an alternate PO Box address for sending via USPS. I expected a slower process, but instead, Priority Mail got the glasses into the warranty dept and to the appropriate rep within 2 days.

Props to Smith and to the socialized:fmicon: mail service.:yourock:

supermodel159
09-02-2009, 04:04 PM
Smith rules...

I tried to send in a pair of Spy's which I recently smashed, their warrant SUCKS.

By Smith.

Blurred
09-02-2009, 04:07 PM
Big-Ups to Rontele and Burger King for making a such tasty french fries!

fonixmunkee
09-03-2009, 04:17 PM
Smith's customer support does kick ass, I had a very similar situation occur as well. But when I sent it in for waranty, Smith called back (within a few hours of receiving my glasses), and said it was more cost-effective for them to mail me back a refurbished pair of shades. So I said, "yeah, let's do that," and by the end of the week I was rocking my Embargos again.

And yeah, USPS can sometimes surprise you...too bad their online tracking system sucks balls.

Wibby
09-03-2009, 04:50 PM
too bad their online tracking system sucks balls.

this is true...also true that the people at Smith are good people and make a quality product.

DoWork
09-03-2009, 04:57 PM
Big-Ups to Rontele and Burger King for making a such tasty french fries!

this is true...also true that the people at Burger King are good people and make a quality double stacker.

njfreeskier
09-03-2009, 05:10 PM
I agree 100%. Smith's warranty dept. came through for me huge last season. I had a variant brim helmet which has a two piece shell. The glue dried up and one of the pieces was popping off. I was hoping they would reglue it as I didn't want to make a mess of it myself.They sent a brand new helmet, and hooked it up quickly too. Props to Smith for handling things professionally, and keeping customer stoke high.

Because of their high quality gear, and excellent warranty department, if it's a product smith makes, it is usually my first choice, i.e. helmets, goggles, sunglasses. Rock on Smith.

clarnitty
09-03-2009, 05:14 PM
weird i just sent two pairs back last week and still haven't even heard from them! usually it's within 24 hours, but now they've had my sunglasses for two weeks.

weird!!!!!!!!! bummin' me out, but hey, beggars can't be choosers?!

road trip
09-03-2009, 08:03 PM
Amen, Brother. A few weeks ago, I had sent back a 9 year old pair of sunglasses for warranty. 7 days later, brand new pair of shades.

I heart Smith

house
09-04-2009, 02:11 AM
I also dig smith.

one thing i've wondered, however...

did smith start making "lesser quality" shades specifically to sell on SAC? I ordered one pair of "Bauhaus" shades well over a year ago and they were very well made, I still wear them actually. Solid hinges that open/close smootly and they fit really well. So i ordered another pair when they came back on SAC a year or so later. I didn't receive the same dope glasses. Fit was awkward, the hinges were much cheaper, and the overall feel wasn't up to par with the original ones i ordered. Never really wear the newer ones, but still have them because they're ok for the 30 bucks i spent. What gives?

p.s. another thing to note, the "good" ones were made in Italy, the cheapo ones in Tunisia.

MMP
09-04-2009, 07:16 AM
good to know that their customer service is solid. I have had shit luck with revo, ray ban, vuarnet, and others, and am solidly a maui jim customer. their customer service is excellent as well.

Todds
09-04-2009, 08:01 AM
Smith has done right by me in the past.

skiingsamurai
09-04-2009, 08:36 AM
im in a similar boat. I destroyed the battey box and controller on a set of turofans and sent them in for repair. I expected to pay as it was clearly not their fault, however a week later I got them back without being charged, or even called to be told what was going on. Brand new goggles.

I love smith

Tuckerman
09-04-2009, 09:42 AM
Add me to the list of satisfied Smith costumers.

SnowHot
09-04-2009, 09:50 AM
My husband wears smith turbo goggles when he races enduros. He's had several pair of fans break when crashing into trees. Each time Smith was eager to repair them, until they were unrepairable, even then they offered a coupon for a discount on a new pair. That's pretty amazing since its not their fault that my husband hits trees on a dirt bike.

Buzzworthy
09-04-2009, 09:52 AM
Buzz hearts Smith.

Dr.Evil
09-06-2009, 11:30 PM
I love Smith products, but I have to say my experience with customer service for Smith Canada has been pretty disappointing.

MacDaddy
09-07-2009, 06:12 PM
this past spring I sent 3 pair of "discontinued" "broken" glasses back and they gave me (3) $99.00 credits, so I up graded on one pair for an extra 30 bucks and got back 3 brand new pair with in 24 hours.

nesta
09-07-2009, 08:34 PM
I love Smith products, but I have to say my experience with customer service for Smith Canada has been pretty disappointing.

moi aussi.
Wrote them an email over a month ago and still haven't heard shit from them.

BigDaddy
09-07-2009, 08:42 PM
Nice to hear... too bad they don't make cell phones!

Steven S. Dallas
10-26-2009, 09:04 PM
Another vote of confidence for the Smith warranty department. I sent back a Variant Brim with broken vent sliders and asked for and quickly received a Hustle as a replacement. Turns out the Hustle didn't fit quite the same*, so I sent it back as well and got a new Variant within days.

Thanks, Smithites.

*And could generously be described as "butt-heinous".

bendtheski
10-26-2009, 11:37 PM
Had a pair of vectors fall out of my pocket at Sugarbush. Noticed a run or two later and checked with lost and found. To my amazement, someone had turned them in! Unfortunately, someone had skied over them and broken the frames. Called smith and was told to send 'em back. Received my new replacement pair a week later!
Only have thanks and kind words for Smith!!!! Oh yeah, and thanks to whoever brought the broken pair to lost and found!!! I don't think the Smith warranty covers "lost".

nesta
10-27-2009, 12:05 AM
somebody at Smith Optics USA needs to have a word with their representatives at Smith Canada, whose customer service sucks royal dick. :fuckyou:Smith Optics Canada :fuckyou:

spotted dogs
10-27-2009, 11:29 AM
agreed with the Canada sentiment....sent several emails all unanswered for some issues with my kids goggles getting water between the lenses

mmcpheet
04-02-2010, 05:33 PM
Too bad the Canadians aren't seeing the same level of service, http://oldschool.tetongravity.com//ubb/icons/icon14.gifhttp://oldschool.tetongravity.com//ubb/icons/icon14.gif for Smith USA customer service.

fool
12-09-2012, 08:35 PM
did smith start making "lesser quality" shades specifically to sell on SAC? I ordered one pair of "Bauhaus" shades well over a year ago and they were very well made, I still wear them actually. Solid hinges that open/close smootly and they fit really well. So i ordered another pair when they came back on SAC a year or so later. I didn't receive the same dope glasses. Fit was awkward, the hinges were much cheaper, and the overall feel wasn't up to par with the original ones i ordered. Never really wear the newer ones, but still have them because they're ok for the 30 bucks i spent. What gives?

p.s. another thing to note, the "good" ones were made in Italy, the cheapo ones in Tunisia.

Another positive experience: my Bauhaus sunglasses hinge ripped off of the eyepiece frame a few weeks ago, sent them in and I'm getting a new style as a replacement. I wore those sunglasses to death, probably owned them for five years or so (and I think I got them on SAC as well). I also have been rocking the Pivlock v2 Max's for running/biking and they've been great. However, my ignitor lens didn't hinge appropriately with the frame: sent it in, replacement about a week later.

In short, Smith :yourock::yourock::yourock:

And yes, bumping from the grave.

The Reverend Floater
12-09-2012, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the props guys...and the feedback on Smith Canada. We work hard to keep our customers loyal and our loyal customers happy.

Re: Bauhaus, no--we don't make special product for SAC or anything like it. That said, it is disappointing to hear you had an inconsistent experience. Sounds like the sourcing changed on that model to a less quality factory.

Re: Canada. I'll look into this and definitely let your comments be known.

RootSkier
12-09-2012, 10:40 PM
Re: Canada. I'll look into this and definitely let your comments be known.

Just make sure they don't fire the new guy.

Super G
12-10-2012, 07:40 AM
glad to hear everyone is stoked for the most part. Come on out to visit our HQ and go heli skiing with us. We'll pick up the tab...
https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/254745-2012-2013-Smith-Optics-We-Make-The-Great-Days-Better-Contest

powder11
12-10-2012, 07:48 AM
somebody at Smith Optics USA needs to have a word with their representatives at Smith Canada, whose customer service sucks royal dick. :fuckyou:Smith Optics Canada :fuckyou:

agree 100%. I'd rather be told flat out no than be given the run around like that. I finally gave up on Smith Canada and used a US address for warranty from the states on some turbo fans that broke a few yrs ago. Problems solved quickly with no questions asked. Still using the same prodigy turbos after 3-4 seasons of heavy use. Might be time for another "warranty":rolleyes: Just kidding...

The Reverend Floater
12-10-2012, 11:54 PM
Hey Folks,

If anyone else has any issues with our Canadian Customer Service, please send me a PM and I'll make sure you get taken care of...Canadian Mags will not suffer such injustice!

Cheers,

The Rev

skiitsbetter
09-16-2015, 03:46 PM
PM sent ^re: Canadian warranty. (don't have original receipt)