PDA

View Full Version : Salomon boot question

UTdave
10-22-2003, 04:49 PM
OK so I need some new boots and I've been looking at Salomon. Two models in particular the Course Race and X-Wave 10. I understand the differences between those two but then I saw the Pro Model. Where does this boot fit in terms of fit, stiffness and liner quality with respect to the other two. I've been working with Earl Middlemiss at Sports Loft based on maggot reccomendations but I didn't really ask about the Pro Model.

PeachesN'Cream
10-22-2003, 05:05 PM
the pro model is the same fit as the course but the flex is softer. the course is 120 (i think) where the pro is 95. same liner i believe, though the pro model may have some sort of gel tounge or something. the pro also features a vibration absorbing foot board aka marketing hype.

i'm between the pro model and the lange 120 freeride. so if your foot is anything like mine perhaps try the lange too.

as always let the boot fitter pick a few that seem good for your foot. put a bunch of boots on your feet and kick it in the store for a bit. see what your feet think of em. oh and get some custom foot beds if you don't already have them. worth every dollar of the 125 or so you will spend on them.

good luck - bcf

milkman
10-22-2003, 05:17 PM
The pro model has the same fit and liner as the course, but different flex as BC-FLOW pointed out (although I think the course has a flex index of 130). The x-wave 10 has a comfier, more padded liner and has a flex index right in between the two at 110. I ended up with the x-wave 9 (flex index 100) because the pro model liner didn't fit my foot as well as the x-waves, and wanted a flex similar to the pro model. The 9 was also 60 bucks cheaper. The only diff between the 9 and 10 is the 10 has two extra rivits in the back of the shell to make it a little stiffer. When I tried on both boots, I couldn't really notice the diff, so went for the cheaper one.

10-22-2003, 07:04 PM
Word to what milkman sez.

Tried on XWave/Crossmax 10s and XWave 9s and picked up the 9s 'cuz they were cheaper and fit me pretty much the same. I figured I'll add some rivets if I really needed to stiffen 'em up.

Paging BakerBoy for more info. on the Pro Models -- he scored some for a little over $300 US from an English retailer.

PeachesN'Cream
10-22-2003, 07:17 PM
second that.

baker boy if you got a source on the pro model for 300 us i'd sure love to know where they came from. thats wicked cheep.

help a brotha out.

- bcf

Spats
10-22-2003, 07:56 PM
And you're not getting a pair of Daleboots because...?

UTdave
10-22-2003, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Spats
And you're not getting a pair of Daleboots because...?
because I have a hookup and can e.p. the Salomons through the shop I used to work at in IN. Then I'm going to have Earl do the footbeds. So basically it sounds like I should just stick with the two boots I originally had in mind. So now it comes down to whether I should get the X-Wave slightly softer but better fit out of the box or the Course boots.

L7
10-24-2003, 11:38 AM
Ditto on Bc flow and milkman. I think there are a few differences between the pro and course liner but nothing huge, they're pretty close. The Course/Pro fits a similar width to the Lange but the Salomon will accomodate a higher instep.

steved
04-21-2004, 05:09 PM
...and to just tag onto the end of the "Salomon Fit"....

In mid-March I tried on a few Salomon XWaves...(the resort shop didn't have any "10's"...to try..:mad: )

I'm 5'8", ~160,
Heel: pretty narrow
Instep: pretty high
Forefoot: wide

*To what ~degree does their therma- liner pack out...?

XWave8s: great, great fit...would probably like to put a bolt into it somewhere to stiffen the forward flex a hair.

XWave9s: felt really tight in both INSTEP & FOREFOOT.
(This sound right? Why I'm asking is the forward flex didn't feel any stiffer than the 8's at all??
Was this a Woman's boot THE young fellow of the shop was trying to sell me? This was at the end of the skiing day and I don't recall actually posing the question...)

*About where would the XWave10 fall...fit/Fflex-wise..?

phUnk
04-21-2004, 08:29 PM
Unless you're racing and NOT hucking cliffs, I'd avoid the Course. You just don't need that much stiffness to ski pow on fat skis. That stiffness will also bang you up more hucking.

Softer forward flexing boots are where it's at.

mntlion
04-22-2004, 08:41 AM
All X waves are the same shape, mens and ladies and modles 6 - 10

If one fits they all will

Flex Xwave 8 is a 80 flex, 9 is 90 etc. 10 softer for the ladies (or so they say)

9 vs 10 = $50 more and 2 t nuts for stiffening buy the 9 and drill it your self

As Always check the shell fit, 1-2cm behind the heel NO MORE

04-22-2004, 10:57 PM
Well, it's April now and I've put some time in my boots (110+ days)...

Aaaaaand ...

The liners are packed out, the flex ended up being too soft for me.

They did their job but I'm moving on next season.

mntlion
04-23-2004, 03:41 PM
13: too soft?
add tnuts like the Xwave 10 to stiffen. If the boot is the right size you should be able to get 300+ days on them

verbier61
04-27-2004, 02:53 PM
I'd simply say anything stiffer than crossmax 10 is insane, unless you're sethesque

BakerBoy
04-27-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by verbier61
I'd simply say anything stiffer than crossmax 10 is insane, unless you're sethesque

Seth skis on Flexons ---> NOT stiff.

I got my ProModels from some English place called Ellis & Brigham or something like that. $300 US, $25 to ship, $40 customs. Ended up not that cheap I guess. But I love the boots. Super tight fit, super thin liner that won't pack out. The liner is the Course CF Fit thermo liner, which is identical to the Course race boot. Replaced the power strap with a Booster Strap, and I'm set.

My foot, especially the heel, swam around in the LF Lange 120 Comps, whereas it feels great in the Pro Models.

There were only a couple times when I wish I had stiffer boots, and about a million times I was stoked because I didn't.

bisnibble
04-27-2004, 05:47 PM
I went from Course's to Comp 130's to Comp 120's and I am regretting all the race boots I have ever skied............ Softer really is the way to go

verbier61
04-28-2004, 12:46 AM
Seth skis on Flexons ---> NOT stiff.

I know..... in fact I said sethesque, not seth