PDA

View Full Version : Whistler memorial day mud fest

White Chocolate
05-31-2004, 11:13 PM
Today i made the pilgrammege to mecca, aka the whistler mountain bike park. Having not been there in 2 years, and riding a hardtail there for the first time, i was kinda nervous. It was raining when we got there, and as it turned out all of the sweet trails that you see in the movies were closed. So what did we do? ride all the crappy bumpy intermediate trails that get no glory. I can tell you that riding in sloppy mud on a hardtail on a very bumpy trail is a giant kick in the pants. We also rode a trail called lower crack addict, which is in the woods, has tons of rocks, gnarly roots, and giant holes, and some nice slippery woodwork. did i mention that it was steep? The only reason that this trail was open is because it is so gnarly and bombed out, the mountain isn't really worried about additional erosion. I can tell you that riding said trail in the rain with a crazy layer of mud on everything and brakes that are shithoused was so ridiculous and funny that i will be remembering those couple of runs for a while. I also took care of some buisness by doing the 2 biggest drops i have ever done. Both approaching 7', and one requiring you to hit it at speed to clear about 4' to the landing. I was so pumped that i didn't care that the money trails were closed. I can also report that the bikercross course will be seen in a lot of movies that will be filming this summer. It is big :eek: And the green monster....WTF?! it's a step up close to 8' to the top of a box, and then jump off the backside.