PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Road Bike

Red Baron
05-27-2004, 08:50 PM
Sub $500 please...total road bike newbie here, my GF just bought one so now I have to as well... :rolleyes:

51 to 54cm, I'm 5'8"- just need something fun to learn on, not something to win the Tour...

Anything out there?

I know Cornholio's thread down the page has some stuff and PM's have been sent...

Thanks,

Steve

UTdave
05-27-2004, 10:24 PM
sub 500 won't get much in a new raod bike. In fact it won't get you anything with most companies. Look used for something with 105 componentry about 1-3 years old and you should find something. With a roadbike fit is key. If you want to enjoy yourself then you have to be comfortable. Roll eyes aren't necessary because road riding is fun as hell (and painful as hell going up LCC:o ). Back to the fit issue if possible try to find a used bike locally that the seller will let you test ride. If you want I might be able to come along and offer fit advice (I have some pretty good fitting experience but in no way am I all knowing). Look on the roadbikereview.com classifieds and maybe ebay as well. Another important factor is frame and fork material. Early aluminim frames were harsh but that problem has lessened over time. Steel is comfortable but adds a bit of weight. Carbon is out of your price range. Do not buy a bike with an aluminum fork. At minimum the fork should have carbon legs. Steel forks provide a good ride but weigh a ton. The bike is only a starting point. You will need good pedals, I reccomend the Shimano SPD-SL models ( I use the 6400) or Look pedals. Road specific shoes are also important. They offer good energy transfer to the bike and help prevent "hot spots" on the foot. If you have any more ?s pm me.

edit: get a triple or be prepared for a ton of pain on the canyon roads.

fondigley
05-27-2004, 11:08 PM
I would recomend a used bike as well, you can't get anything decent for under 500. My girlfriend wanted to get into road bikes, caused she wasn't happy with mountain biking (a sport I love), so this past october she bought the specialized allez sport. It is a great starter bike, has the carbon fiber fork and seatpost to dampen the vibrations made from the road. New it was around 800 dollars, which for the price was a hell of a deal. We looked around and talked with many people at bike shops and they suggested that bike as the best pirce for the money. So I would suggest you splurge a little more if you want a new bike, if not go used. They are just as good as new, usually.

Benny Profane
05-27-2004, 11:45 PM
Don't get anything less than this: http://www.lemondbikes.com/2004_bikes/alpe_d_huez.jsp about 1200, but you'll own it for at least ten years.

Red Baron
05-27-2004, 11:58 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, I should have been clear; I'm totally looking for a used bike and not even looking at new stuff. I've been shopping with Kelly for her bike a few times, she bought a brand new Kline that's really nice, and is picking it up in the next few days.

Much like when I started skiing, I think the idea is to get a used bike that will let me learn, and figure out what I like and don't like, and then I'll get a "real" bike - new and customized to my liking. I think I'll like to road bike and much as I like to run and mountain bike, so it'll be a great sport to have...

That said, I think I can find a used Allez or something similar for around 5 bones, so if anyone here has any leads, I'm all ears...

Spats
05-28-2004, 03:43 AM
I'm going to tell you to get a recumbent because you will enjoy it and ride it more. But since you are unlikely to do this, here's my road bike advice:

You'll need a triple front chainring or you won't be riding up any canyons.

Make sure the fork and brakes have clearance to put on fenders. Otherwise you will be unable to ride on wet roads.

Clipless pedals will help you ride more efficiently. However, for a $500 bike, just buy a pair of Power Grips and use your street shoes. Note that many styles of road cleats leave you literally unable to walk (Look, for instance). If you actually find yourself riding frequently, you can upgrade the bike and get clipless shoes and pedals.

Buy a comfortable seat that is wide enough to actually support your sit bones. The weight you save by using a torture rack like a Flite is about equal to a good burp. And please get one with the cutout in the middle, cycling-based impotence is NOT a joke. I have a Terry Liberator on my mountain bike.

Get the widest tires you can fit on the bike. They will roll better, grip the road better, and ride much smoother.

Vinman
05-28-2004, 08:13 AM
A good road bike for under 500 will be tough to come by. Ebay, classifieds in local paper. Make sure the bike fits, nothing will ruin your day more than riding a bike that does not fit right. If you are 5'8' you are probably looking at a 51-52-53 at most depending on what make of bike it is.

Thing to look at when looking over a used bike.
Check the welds/braises(sp?) for cracks, rust

rock the rims laterally to feel for a bumping snsation to check for play in the hubs/bearings

put the bike vertically on its rear tire and bounce it to feel for loosness in the head set

put the pedals in the vertical position and rock laterally to check for play on the bottom bracket

Shift up and down in all cogs and chain rings while riding

Look down the seat tube for rust if it is a steel frame

Look for cracks or large scratches in a carbon fork

Check the stem and handlebars for cracks

Viva
05-28-2004, 09:04 AM
Lot's of good comments here. I will add that, as a novice, you're better off getting a used bike at a shop. They will take the time to fit you and swap-out a few parts in order to get you the best possible ride. A shop is also likely to cut you deals (say, 10-20% off of retail) on any accessories you buy, like shoes, pedals, etc. Down the road they may even give you a free wheel true.

A triple-ring crankset isn't essential as you can always get a rear cassette that goes to 25 or even 28.

Good luck!

Viva
05-30-2004, 12:10 AM
Yo, check this out. It's close by too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=7298&item=3680340869&rd=1

cantunamunch
05-31-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Spats
Clipless pedals will help you ride more efficiently. However, for a $500 bike, just buy a pair of Power Grips and use your street shoes. Note that many styles of road cleats leave you literally unable to walk (Look, for instance). If you actually find yourself riding frequently, you can upgrade the bike and get clipless shoes and pedals.

Spats, a Lake CX125 (http://www.pricepoint.com/detail.htm?stylepkey=11752&detailName=Lake%20CX%20125%20Road%20Shoes&style_id=285%20LAKC52&dept_id=&deptName=&sub_id=&subName=&lprice=24.98&hprice=24.98) will fit a Look pedal and keep you walking. The only drawbacks to this 'training' shoe are that you can't clip in from the back of the pedal so a little more accurate toe placement is needed, and on some low-width (Q) cranks the instep strap rubs the drive side crank.

The bikes posted to Cornholio's thread were carbon fiber; I would be suspicious of any Al frames of that age and wouldn't spend money on them. Steel or CF is the ticket, especially if you're at all, hmmm, 'well-fed' at the end of winter, in which case steel is far more preferrable. You can respace a steel frame but not an AL one.

That Modo Volare is a budget descender's dream, worth far more just for the parts than they're asking- there were more than a few 'frame only' Modo Volares and Modo Vinceres back in Y2K on Ebay from people wanting to dress up more expensive frames. That said, getting a reasonable 'climbing' range out of a Campy 10sp double is not $cheap$, that chain is a PITA, and the geometry is a little racy if you tend to lower back problems.

If you don't get a triple, you might investigate a compact double like Shimano RSX.

If you don't get a shop bike, make sure that whatever wheels are on there will last you for most of a season at least. The worst thing you could get is an Al frame with a 6 or 7spd rear and a cracked, hopping or otherwise unsound rear wheel.

Stoysluttie1
06-01-2004, 09:03 PM
RB...check your pm

Telephil
06-01-2004, 09:17 PM

You'll need a triple front chainring or you won't be riding up any canyons.

huh? Depends I guess.

Spats
06-02-2004, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by Telephil
huh? Depends I guess.

If I tried to ride LCC with a double, I'd need them too.

Mr. Altagirl
06-02-2004, 09:29 PM
I'll sell you my DH bike and put some nice slicks on it for you. Pedaling up LCC will be tough but coming down will be fun. Plus, think of the cool looks the Lycra wearer's will give you as you take your turn in the pace line.

UTdave
06-02-2004, 10:56 PM
If I tried to ride LCC with a double, I'd need them too.
I've ridden LCC on my Allez Comp double. It hurt. But since I worked in a bike shop I had to have a double because I ain't no sissy bitch;)