PDA

View Full Version : busted presta valve?

dipstik
05-26-2004, 09:44 PM
There I am pumping up my tire and that little thing at the end of the presta valve snapped right off...letting all the air out. It will still fill up with air, but there is nothing to hold it in except the little plastic cap, but some air still leaks out. Is this a common problem with an easy fix or should I just throw in a new tube?

Second question...how do you measure tire pressure on a presta valve tube?

Big Hit77
05-26-2004, 10:42 PM
Just get a new tube...for the 3 bucks it will be worth it not to have a problem on the trail with a tube. I know that i have gotten to the point that if i have any problem with tubes, i just replace it.

lph
05-26-2004, 10:59 PM
not uncommon.

the little stem on prestas are pretty fragile. i have had it happen, usually from pulling on the pump where it attaches to the presta valve.

gotta replace the tube.

duboix
05-27-2004, 05:24 AM
presta sucks. anyway, replace the tube.

as for the pressure metering - you have the pump with pressure gage, don't you? just use it to meter the pressure.

CS
05-27-2004, 09:08 AM
It happens. Just replace it, and in the future, don't open it up all the way. Go about 3/4 so it's less prone to bending/breaking.

cantunamunch
05-27-2004, 09:13 PM
This sounds like a consequence of grabbing the pump head off the valve instead of holding the valve between your fingers and sliding the fingers up.

Yes, it happens. It needn't. Good thing you're not running tubs.

You can also get a Presta gauge (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=19650849&memberId=12500226) for cheap.

bagtagley
05-28-2004, 08:03 AM
There's not better tire pressure gauge than your hand in my opinion. Just push down on the middle of the tire w/ the bottom part of your palm. You'll eventually get used to what feels right.

cantunamunch
05-28-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by CS
It happens. Just replace it, and in the future, don't open it up all the way. Go about 3/4 so it's less prone to bending/breaking.

Forgot to say: use the above advice and also tap the valve a few times with your finger before you put the valve head on.