PDA

View Full Version : Tahoe trail conditions beta needed

freshies
05-24-2004, 05:41 PM
Lego, Chili, all Tahoe area mags: whats the skinny on trails right now? Haven't been up in 2 weeks, so not sure how much melt we have had, and am heading up this w/e w/some buddies to ride. What's open right now? Hole in the Ground? Prob'ly hike-a-bike over a lot of this trail this early I would imagine? But am dying to hit it as it is one of my favs.....

I know Emigrant is open, but what else? Thx!

onehotchili
05-25-2004, 11:10 AM
freshies -

i am not sure about Hole-in-the-Ground yet. i can give the guys at the Backcountry a call... but my guess is that it would still be hike-a-bike after Andesite ridge thru some of those shaded north valleys. obviously Emigrant, Lloyds, Cold Stream, Sawtooth are all good to go. i am not sure about Western States and other trails above Tahoe City.

unfortunately, i am in the midst of training for a running relay race around Lake Tahoe in 3 weeks. so most of my time has been running although i did get a great 60 mile road ride from my house to Jackson Meadow the other day.

i will be in the Bay Area this weekend for some kiting, but will be back up Sunday night. let me know if you want to hook for some riding... i am always game for exploring the conditions of trails.

-chili

LegoSkier
05-25-2004, 06:00 PM
Just got back from some riding in the motox areas above Kings Beach. Its prime right now. Melted out and not a lot of moto traffic yet so its not too loose.

freshies
05-26-2004, 08:27 PM
thx guys...I called the guys at BC today, and they said Flume opened this week!? If that is the case, tan looks like we will hit Emmigrant on Fri aftrernoon, Flume Sat, and am thinking of maybe Crow Canyon outside Verdi for Sun....

If you guys want to ride w/my pose and I, give a shout out: cell is 415-596-9021. I will be up in Truckee Thur evening.

onehotchili
05-26-2004, 09:06 PM
Freshies -

If you and your posse can wake up earlier, I would definitely be up for hitting Emigrant in the morning on Friday (like 8/9 am). I will supposedly working from home that morning, but I was planning an 1 1/2 hour ride before actually doing any work. In the afternoon I am trekking down to Berkeley.

Let me know. It could definitely be worth it since the trails will be getting crowded later that day.

-Chili

freshies
05-27-2004, 08:54 AM
hey chili,

we prob'ly won't rally that early, as 2 of mu buds are driving from LA & Mammoth tonight, so won't roll into town until late. I am not sure how psyched they would be to rally at 7am......we will most likely ride around lunch time if you can get away for a few hours then?

onehotchili
05-27-2004, 09:44 AM
Freshies-

I might be up for a noon ride. Maybe I work first thing tomorrow. The Emigrant trail head (Donner Camp) is 5 minutes from my house so it is my default ride that I do whenever I get some time.

In any case, I might be out there when you guys hit the trail. Look for a Hawaiian looking guy riding a Yellow w/ Red Flames Independant Fabrications Single Speed mtn bike. There is only one of those frames in the world that I know of....

-Chili

freshies
05-27-2004, 10:32 AM
sweet....we will be there tmrw around noon for sure, unless its dumping rain......look for 3 guys, 2 on Blur's, 1 on a Ventanna...that'll be us.

Besides Emigrant, what else is in the best shape right now?

onehotchili
06-01-2004, 11:10 AM
Freshies - sorry i missed you last Friday. i actually got out on Emigrant a little after 12:15pm. i am not sure if you and your buds were out there, but i was looking. oh well, maybe next time...

freshies
06-01-2004, 11:25 AM
yeah, no worries. we rode it twice: Sat and Sun (the 22 mile out and back), b/c it was in such great shape.....mmm, tasty single track, lots of wild flowers, great weather....was awesome.

we did Lloyds on Sunday, that was nice too. Next time for sure!

lph
06-01-2004, 11:45 AM
did flume from spooner parking lot as an out and back (the loop which includes TRT still had too much snow on it). good ride, nothing technical :( but a good workout with beautiful views. doing that ride always reminds me of how lucky I am to live where I do. Looking down at sand harbour made me think i was in the Greek islands.

onehotchili
06-01-2004, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by freshies
yeah, no worries. we rode it twice: Sat and Sun (the 22 mile out and back), b/c it was in such great shape.....mmm, tasty single track, lots of wild flowers, great weather....was awesome.

we did Lloyds on Sunday, that was nice too. Next time for sure!

did you guys hit the tetter totters and other north shore style things before lloyd's? it is hidden but more towards the Prosser Pits where the motoX guys play.

freshies
06-01-2004, 03:07 PM
yes! i am not big into the whole trials thing (just like I am not a prk-rat on the mountain during winter-time...), but my buddies got kooky on those bad boys.....I did hit one teter-totter though..that was pretty cool....

freshies
06-01-2004, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by lph
did flume from spooner parking lot as an out and back (the loop which includes TRT still had too much snow on it). good ride, nothing technical :( but a good workout with beautiful views. doing that ride always reminds me of how lucky I am to live where I do. Looking down at sand harbour made me think i was in the Greek islands.

ah! was wondering about the loop and TRT sections....we were gonna hit it on Sun, but thought it might have been snowed-in still, plus traffic was a concern....