PDA

View Full Version : Car shuttled this morn

zion zig zag
05-20-2004, 12:59 PM
GT40 and I went to explore some new trails this morning and found some good ones. 7.5 miles of downhill, all singletrack. The good news is this started at the base of snowbasin, so when the lifts open, about 15 miles and 4000 vert feet. All DH, all singletrack. I can't wait.

CS
05-20-2004, 01:06 PM
That is so weak. You should totally ride up all that shit. Car shuttles, pfffft.

zion zig zag
05-20-2004, 01:10 PM
Phil, how did you get CS's password?

zion zig zag
05-20-2004, 01:17 PM
basin bike trail map (http://www.snowbasin.com/files/trail_map_s.pdf)

CS
05-20-2004, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by flykdog
Phil, how did you get CS's password?

heh, poor Phil, always picked on.

That map looks pretty sweet. What lifts will they have spinnning for biking?

bagtagley
05-20-2004, 02:50 PM
Not enough red in that map.

zion zig zag
05-20-2004, 03:18 PM
CS, just the needles gondola, but you can get just about anywhere from there with minimal effort.

Bagtagley, yeah, I'm hoping they keep adding to the trails, if not, maybe a few rogue trails will go in. The blue ones that I have hiked look like they will be good fun though.

Arty50
05-20-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by CS
That is so weak. You should totally ride up all that shit. Car shuttles, pfffft.

You took the words right out of my mouth. You've gotta earn those lumps. I'm one of those strange idiots that actually loves slogging uphill. Damn, now I feel like a hippie telemarker... :D

Telephil
05-20-2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Arty50
Damn, now I feel like a hippie telemarker... :D

Easy there. Flyk, what CS wrote was my first thought. No respect, no respect. You in for Brianhead over the 4th?

Woodsy
05-20-2004, 04:08 PM
I heart Telephil the hippy:D

had my friend who owns a bike shop in MT question my manhood for owning a 23# bike.

I said well how the fuk do you get your monster uphill?"

he replied, however, someimes i push it

CS
05-20-2004, 04:26 PM
You took the words right out of my mouth. You've gotta earn those lumps. I'm one of those strange idiots that actually loves slogging uphill. Damn, now I feel like a hippie telemarker... :D

Well, it was said fully tongue in cheek, because, well, I happen to totally enjoy car shuttles, and lift riding. Not that the uphill slog doesn't hold a certain place in my heart. But there is definately somthing to be said about stepping out of a car/gondy/chair, grabbing your bike, and going down, down, down, and hey, there is the ride back up, just waiting for you.

Oh, and you did have one thing right, Phil is a hippy telemarker.

InspectorGadget
05-20-2004, 04:30 PM
You've gotta earn those lumps.

Agreed, I believe you have to earn the descent.

Riding the lift or doing a car shuttle is one of those guilty pleasures.

GT40
05-20-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by flykdog
GT40 and I went to explore some new trails this morning and found some good ones. 7.5 miles of downhill, all singletrack. The good news is this started at the base of snowbasin, so when the lifts open, about 15 miles and 4000 vert feet. All DH, all singletrack. I can't wait.

There are 3 different trails going down. We hit two of them. There is one section of trail that I will pay ppl, to let me watch them try to clean it. :eek: :eek:

Great fun and I'm already to go hit more of it next week. I'm new to this game, but it is sooo much fun. Except I think my bike weights 60#s.;)

Particle
05-20-2004, 04:47 PM
OK - reality check. If this were a bike forum, OK, the hippy climbers would have a leg (or something) to stand on.

BUT, we're all skiers here. Do any of you feel guilty riding a resort chair while skiing? I'll dare say not.

Until phil, IG, Arty, etc...spends an ENTIRE SEASON touring, I don't want to hear another peep about 'oh you didn't earn that DH on your bike you pansy shuttler'.

Which isn't to say I don't enjoy the climb, the way down is just much much more fun.

OK? OK. Glad we got that straightened out.

CS
05-20-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Particle
OK - reality check. If this were a bike forum, OK, the hippy climbers would have a leg (or something) to stand on.

BUT, we're all skiers here. Do any of you feel guilty riding a resort chair while skiing? I'll dare say not.

Until phil, IG, Arty, etc...spends an ENTIRE SEASON touring, I don't want to hear another peep about 'oh you didn't earn that DH on your bike you pansy shuttler'.

Which isn't to say I don't enjoy the climb, the way down is just much much more fun.

OK? OK. Glad we got that straightened out.

my man

hev
05-20-2004, 05:01 PM
funny, I try to shuttle or lift ride with bikes as much as possible, where as I often choose to earn my turns on skis. occasionally i feel guilty about shuttling bikes, but i raced xc for years and now feel i have paid my dues.

bagtagley
05-20-2004, 05:26 PM
Try doing DH all day long, then tell me you haven't earned those shuttle runs.

If I climbed to the top of Snowshoe on the big bike, I'd be lucky to get 2 runs in before I was done. The lift/shuttle lets you quadruple your DH pleasure, and you're still getting one hell of a workout.

I do enough climbing in my day-to-day riding, I got no problems getting rides to the top every once in a while.

altagirl
05-20-2004, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by GT40
Great fun and I'm already to go hit more of it next week. I'm new to this game, but it is sooo much fun. Except I think my bike weights 60#s.;)

I actually rode that bike on the whole Slickrock trail. (Have you weighed it? I never did - but it's got to be over 50#...) I got a lot of stares and walked a lot, but I had so much more fun on the descents it was probably the best ride I've ever had on that trail without a motorcycle.

Anyway, I like doing both. I'm enjoying climbs these days and XC rides, but I also can't wait for DV to open their lifts for the summer. And I'm not going to feel guilty about it. :D

phUnk
05-20-2004, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by hev
but i paid for the lift-ticket/gasand now feel i have paid my dues. Fixed for me.

schuss
05-20-2004, 06:52 PM
just bike up the damn thing, ya bunch of wussies... ;)

Found a sweet DH section at my local spot today, nice open blasting over roots and rocks. Not quite at the "bomb down technical singletrack" confidence level, but close.

InspectorGadget
05-21-2004, 05:17 PM
Until ... IG ... spends an ENTIRE SEASON touring, I don't want to hear another peep about 'oh you didn't earn that DH on your bike you pansy shuttler'.
Touché

BTW, that's touché with a T, not with a D. :D

Particle
05-21-2004, 07:49 PM
IG--I decided I liked your x-ray avatar idea :)

And on the bike topic--I WISH I got to shuttle more; but the reason I sold my DH/freeride bike and got my trail bike was b/c frankly I end up riding up everything I ride down 99% of the time. Which is still totally worth it. I just REALLY like the shuttles when they happen :D

Stoysluttie1
05-22-2004, 10:28 AM
Nice! We'll have to trade trails Kev and GT!!!

About going up to earn.. I agree. I spend a majority of my time climbing. But I sure like shuttles on the 'off days.'

InspectorGadget
05-22-2004, 05:48 PM
IG--I decided I liked your x-ray avatar idea :)
I think your x-ray beats mine by a country mile; what the hell did you do to your poor self?