View Full Version : Skegg's 5:30pm 5/19/04

Superstar Punani
05-19-2004, 11:20 AM
Shit I haven't ridden in 2 weeks.....

Anyone in the Bay Area up for a ride?

101>92W>Skyline>left. go for 15 min.

Spats
05-19-2004, 12:40 PM
Still on injured reserve from Sunday's wipeout. Road is OK but trails are right out. Next week should be OK.

Superstar Punani
05-19-2004, 02:15 PM
Oh, hey Spats!

Where'd ya wipeout? Tahoe or around here?

See ya next week. I usually go Tues/Thurs or Mon/Wed/Thurs

Spats
05-19-2004, 02:21 PM
See my Tamarancho ride report (http://tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=11543) for details. I'm off Vicodin but I'm still taking aspirin. No major damage, just a lot of bruising to the lower back. Getting in and out of bed sucks.

Anxious to get out after it again.

Superstar Punani
05-20-2004, 10:06 AM
HOLY FUCK! The "new" trail I found was SWEEEEET!!!!

Started off with my usual loops. shit changes in 2 weeks. The packed down/ muddy areas had dried up and it was sort of dusty. Ate shit a few times as the front tire gets bogged down in the sandy areas

Last time I was here a couple of DH guys with the full gear told me about their favorite trail in the reserve, so I checked it out yesterday.

It's kinda hard to get to and out of the way, so you have the whole joint to yourself.

The first part was your usual singletrack bomb section. Haul ass through this...rounded a corner at full speed and noticed a couple log drops. FUUU.....!!!! Holy SHIT! I landed it and survived....reconnected, next corner, another log hop, then the next section is one of the gnarliest technical lines in the entire reserve....tight, weaving singletrack. lots of trees. Had the craziest wipeout so far this season as I bombed through a narrow goalpost of trees. left handlebar clips tree and sends me off into the bushes. I'm hoping that the leafy shit wasn't poison oak.

Back on the saddle and continue to flow down. singletrack opens up to a steep-ass section. Jam brakes too hard. rear tire skids and I'm jacknifing sideways down this rollercoaster-like steep. let the brakes go and point it down. Catch unintended air before landing into the next even steeper rocky part. At this point I had no choice but to ride it out and hope I don't die. The runout was smooth clean and buttery....more singletrack steeze then it opens up.

Adrenaline's buzzing through my body and I'm laughing like a maniac. I can't believe no one else is around.

Reached the bottom and it was a long ass climb back to the trailhead in darkness. 30 minutes, a couple of darkness-caused wipeouts and a little chainring bite on my calf muscle later I was back in my truck buzzing from the insane ride.

I usually stick to my usual 12 mile loop of 3-4 trails strung together and hardly ever explore, thinking that other trails might not be as fun, but the one I found last night was the bomb. It's the same feeling you get surfing a new spot, skiing a new resort, or banging a hot chick you've never had before.

Man I love Skegg's. The trailhead is always full of cars but you only see about 1-2 people in 3 hours of riding. Guess everyone must have their own little "secret" loops :)

(Next time I'll try to bring my digicam, but don't want to eat shit with that in my cargo pocket)

CS
05-25-2004, 03:54 PM
Just saw this. Nice freaking writeup Punani. Try not to kill yourself when riding all alone.
Once when riding a new trail, a "little drop" turned out to be a 10 feet high by 15-20 feet long road gap. Unfortunately for me, I wasn't carrying enough speed, and wrecked myself hard, but somehow managed to avoid the leg snapping boulders a couple feet away.