PDA

View Full Version : changing bike fork

OffAxis
05-12-2004, 08:28 PM
Alright I have gotten everything that appears to be connected to the fork off of the bike, but yet the fork will not slide out. I am a complete mtn. bike jong, but any help would be appreciated.

Plakespear
05-12-2004, 08:29 PM
Standard headset or Aheadset style?

OffAxis
05-12-2004, 08:32 PM
Damn, I'm not sure. Whatever is the cheaper style is probably what it is. I bought a crappy bike at REI and am slowing upgrading. The fork was the first thing I bought.

How do I tell the difference?

Plakespear
05-12-2004, 08:48 PM
Are there two 5mm allen bolts on the back of the stem to clamp it to the steerer tube? An is there a 4mm bolt on the top of the stem?

Plakespear
05-12-2004, 08:54 PM
Aheadset:
http://www.sport-und-medizin.de/winter/winter2pics/aheadset2.jpg

Standard stem
http://www.erg.bme.hu/emania/2001/acostac/stem.gif

OffAxis
05-12-2004, 09:04 PM
Definitely an Aheadset. I actually just got it off. I found I had to take of a "washer" type thing off to get it out. Now here's the next question. My old fork has a "washer" (little plastic black piece) right where the fork splits. Right where the steerer tube meets the fork. My "new" fork doesn't have that, and I don't think it was meant to be removed from the other one. Do I need that?

mntlion
05-12-2004, 09:04 PM
Also if you are changing forks you have to remove the bottom of the head set that is now stuck to the bottom of the crown of the old fork. This is a "race" and it is important to change over to the new fork as well.

To remove it
1) cheap way. pry it off with a screwdriver and hope that you dont damage it.

2) bring it to your local bike shop and ask them to remove it for you with the right tools.

also if all the bolts are removed (from either kind of head set) and the fork still will not drop out try a light blow with a soft head hammer or put some wood on the top of the fork and hit softly to start with

mntlion
05-12-2004, 09:08 PM
ya you need that "thingy"

also inside the old fork you have a "star fangled nut" make sure the new fork has one too or you will have nothing to attach the top cap too.

also cut the new fork to the exact lenght of the old fork, cut it straight or file it level if you haven't cut right.

OffAxis
05-12-2004, 09:09 PM
mntlion

Sounds like you answered my question. It doesn't seem to be coming off with any ease. I'm suprised it even comes off.

OffAxis
05-12-2004, 09:11 PM
Well I guess I'm stuck with the shitty fork for the weekend. I'll go to the shop next week to get the "thingy" taken off. Thanks for all the help guys!

mntlion
05-12-2004, 09:26 PM
bring beer, trust me, bike techs like beer (or home made cookies from cute girls, or home made girls with cute cookies)

bring in all the bits and just get them to change forks...

OffAxis
05-12-2004, 09:57 PM
I will ride the crap out of it, it is just really crappy components. The frame is decent and with some help could end up being a decent cross country bike. I'm getting the parts really cheap from craigslist and so forth. Then, if all goes as planned a Kona Dawg in the fall. :D