PDA

View Full Version : Cannondale Jekyll 500 beta

Mulletizer
05-12-2004, 03:03 PM
I am strongly considering making a conserted bid for this (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3676295461&category=7297&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1). Will mostly be riding fairly technical singletrack w/significant vert but in a mellow enough fashion. No racing. It would be my first fs bike. Last bike was a fisher Aquila hartail, really well spec'ed out (and therefore stolen) which I loved. I went to my local shop, explained the situation and tested a couple of bikes with that frame so know it will fit.

Anything I should look out for? The headshock? If I go for it I'll make sure there's an agreement with the seller to not take it if the description is inaccurate (ie. the bike is not excellent condition). Any input about the components or choice of bike? Please bear in mind that many US bikes (esp Cannondale and Fisher) are twice the price here than in the US. Thanks. Mullet.

mntlion
05-12-2004, 06:56 PM
I've been on a jeckle for 5 years or so, nice ride, The fork takes cannondale tools to work on so don;t try to do it yourself and unless the local store sells cannondale they can't get the tools and so can't work on it.

That being said I get mine overhauled once a year and ride a bunch.

Also a lefty fork will ballance the travel a bit better. That frame/shock should give about 4.5 inchs travel and the headshock gives only 2-3?
headshocks are nice for scapals, leftys for jeckles

nice parts overall, guy looks anal about the parts (good for you!)

As with any bike find out when the last time the chain or whole drive train has been replaced and also brake pads. Frame warrenty is for 1st owner only, but cannondale is helpfull if it breaks.

Mulletizer
05-13-2004, 04:37 AM
Thanks mang! You are right about the fork, 3". Will have to think about that.

It all depends on how the seller is willing to play things. I recently got stung onn ebay because the goods were in way worse condition that described so I would only take that bike if I could collect it and pay on the spot (after checking it).

We'll see what happens. That money = new boots and two pairs of skis. Thatnks for the advice. :)

altagirl
05-13-2004, 07:30 AM
That's how I've bought bikes on e-bay. I still used PayPal for one - went to the guys house, checked it out, and he let me use his computer to do the PayPal transaction.

I had a 2000 Cannondale Jekyll 900SL. The only problems I ever had with it were with the CODA disc brakes it came with. And you've already got a lot of nice upgrades on there, including the brakes. The Headshok doesn't give you much travel, but it works...