PDA

View Full Version : Opinions GF cake3 dlx

powpowpowderwheels
05-11-2004, 09:54 PM
Looking for the ride to replace my c'dale f500 (hardtail). Was looking to go full suspension. I work at the LBS, so i can get Gary Fisher and Haro bikes for 10% less than cost. Which is nice. I was looking at the Fisher Cake 3 deluxe, 5" travel rear. This bike will cost me about $950 new. The shop owner thought i could get about $350 for my 1999 F500. Does $350 sound reasonable?

What do you know about this bike, or GF in general? How about the front/rear shock?

I hear the Hayes HFX-9 disk brakes are nothing but trouble. They can be swapped out relatively cheap though i think.

spill it y'all

Bike: ~29 lbs
http://fisherbikes.com/bikes/bike_detail.asp?series=cake&bike=Cake3_DLX

Full Specs:
http://fisherbikes.com/bikes/full_specs.asp?series=cake&bike=Cake3_DLX

http://fisherbikes.com/images/bikes2004/bikes_large/cake3_dlx.jpg

Edit: Oh yeah, the bike will be used primarily in the bozeman area as that is where i will be going to school next year.

phUnk
05-11-2004, 10:24 PM
http://www.mtbr.com

powderhound
05-11-2004, 10:42 PM
i would ride it, if that says anything

Crinkle
05-12-2004, 08:11 AM
definitely check out opinions on MTBR, but I'll give you mine here. I like the GF. Read good things about the cake 3. and for $950, that is a fricking STEAL. $350 for your old 99 hardtail??? depends on what you have on it. But don't expect much for a 5 year old bike. It might be better for you to keep it around as a spare, at least that is what i would do.

bigsugar
05-12-2004, 08:26 AM
Dude.

No.

That is my somewhat professional opinion, since I sold GF bikes for about five years.

reason 1: That rear triangle is gonna break if you give er at all. I know three people with Cakes, and they all three have broken the chainstay on the drive side.

reason 2: You would end up switching out the Bontrager stuff, because it sucks.

Reason 3: Manitou Black fork. plbbbbt!!!!:rolleyes:

Besides that. you don't really want to support the evil empire, do you?

What other companies can you get pro-form from?

homerjay
05-12-2004, 08:32 AM
I like the tires.

fez
05-12-2004, 08:54 AM
When you get to bozeman, you're gonna want to keep that (or any) fancy bike inside. You'll still want a beater to get around town. Throw some slicks on the c'dale and use that as your townie. I'd be really surprised to see you get that much for a 5 yo bike.

bagtagley
05-12-2004, 08:57 AM
If it breaks, they'll replace it. Besides, I rode a Sugar like a freeride bike for 3 months while I waited for my Bullit without so much as a hickup. I still see the guy I sold it to riding it. I wouldn't own a GF now because they don't make the kind of bikes I ride, but I've absolutely loved their bikes that I've owned in the past....even the POS Joshua.

Hayes brakes are set and forget. They get bad press because they don't modulate as well and aren't as responsive as hope/shimano. But, they also don't squeal like a banshee and they don't have as many issues with fade.

2 things I do agree with bigsugar on:

1. I don't trust Manipoo. People say that they've improved, but for me it's too little too late. I've broken too many Manipoos to ever go back.

2. Bontrager stuff does leave a bit to be desired. The pedals are junk and the bars are pretty weak. On the bright side, that's all stuff that can easily/cheaply/gradually be swapped, especially if you're a shop rat.

phUnk
05-12-2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by bagtagley
If it breaks, they'll replace it. And you'll be sitting on your thumbs without your bike until until it gets replaced.

Just something to think about.

Big Hit77
05-12-2004, 07:51 PM
But if he works at a shop he should have pretty easy access to a ride, no?

bigsugar
05-12-2004, 08:18 PM
Probably, but it kinda sucks to be on some other strange bike when you know that your own bike is in Wisconsin getting fixed by some schlep. Wouldn't you rather just get a reliable ride and reduce the chances of breakage?

phUnk
05-12-2004, 10:43 PM
^^^^ Good points, both you guys.

Big Hit77
05-12-2004, 11:40 PM
If he works for a bike shop that probaly means he can get stuff from quality bike parts, which means he can get Banshee frames, which means he should get a Scream frame. That thing will take any abuse....and if he doesn't like it, he could send it to me.

bigsugar
05-12-2004, 11:48 PM
Yeah those frames are friggin built. That would be a good way to go.

One thing I learned while working in a shop is not to just limit yourself to pro-formable stuff. Oftentimes, you can find better frames and parts for cheaper from lots of different places (ebay and such) There are a lot of little companies out there that make killer frames that you may not have ever heard of.

Crinkle
05-13-2004, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by bigsugar
There are a lot of little companies out there that make killer frames that you may not have ever heard of.

Please share with the class.

bagtagley
05-13-2004, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by bigsugar
Yeah those frames are friggin built. That would be a good way to go.

One thing I learned while working in a shop is not to just limit yourself to pro-formable stuff. Oftentimes, you can find better frames and parts for cheaper from lots of different places (ebay and such) There are a lot of little companies out there that make killer frames that you may not have ever heard of.

Okay, but on the same token, why go through all the BS when you've got easy access to brand new bikes at killer prices? If you really dislike the way a bike rides, then don't buy it. However, if your happy with a bike and can get a good deal, why not go for it?

I could spend weeks looking for the right frame on ebay/classifieds, dealing with the communication and then hoping the whole time that the guy isn't going to screw me. Or, I can call whatever bike company or QBP and tell them to ship me a brand new fully warrantied frame for cheaper than the used headache above.

Most boutique frame makers will deal with independent shops without a purchasing contract anyway.

Also, what makes a Fisher unreliable? I've seen more broken Ellsworths than Fishers. All bikes can break, I was just pointing out the fact that they also get replaced. If you like the Cake, get it.

bigsugar
05-13-2004, 05:47 PM
I agree. If you like the Cake a lot more than other bikes in its class, then get it. I would have misgivings about that particular bike though.
All I'm trying to say is don't just limit yourself to gary fisher and whatever brands your shop may sell. There have been several alternatives presented in this thread, all valid.

Another thing to consider would be just getting a frame and spec'ing the bike how you want it. You work in a shop so you can get hook-ups on components and you have access to all the stuff you need to build it. If you've never done it, it's kinda gratifying.:)

Art Vandelay
05-13-2004, 07:45 PM
Don't sell the ht. Keep it for trials/urban on campus, and to get to class.

hev
05-13-2004, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Big Hit77
If he works for a bike shop that probaly means he can get stuff from quality bike parts, which means he can get Banshee frames, which means he should get a Scream frame. That thing will take any abuse....and if he doesn't like it, he could send it to me.

FYI, they are out of Large Screams....damn QBP(this whole time I thought it was QPP lol). I am trying to figure out what to get. Chaperal or Azonic Recoil. The recoil comes with a romic and seems to get great reviews....any advice would be apreciated, hit man.

sandytheskier
05-14-2004, 08:30 AM
Shifters kind of stink, Deor LX don't really hold up, that is an easy upgrade though. Nice frame. Ok brakes. Not a bad weight for full suspension.

Grange
05-14-2004, 10:07 AM
I'll post my opinion on GF since there seem to be more negative comments than good here. I own a Paragon and have yet to have a problem from the Bongtrager to the Shimano. Granted I live in the Midwest, but we do have to tough trails and tight singletrack. I don't really downhill much so I can only speak for xc riding. I have put a lot of miles on my bike over the past few years and really can't say anything bad about the bike except the stock tires sucked in anything other than hardpack. As long as I keep it tuned and clean I can ride up a hill better than many of the other riders out there and I believe it has a lot to do with the bike.

Big Hit77
05-14-2004, 11:32 PM
Hev given the choice i would most definately go with the Chap . I have heard much better things about Banshees warranty. That sucks about the large scream. Have you tried to go direct through Banshee?