PDA

View Full Version : Park City Endurance 100

Ski Monkey
05-09-2004, 04:14 PM
DEAR FRIENDS,

Planning has started for the summer 2004 Endurance 100. Mark your calendar now, download the race course maps, and start learning more about this incredible and challenging course.

EVENTS SCHEDULE
July 24, 2004 - Saturday @ 6:00 AM
100 Mile Team Relay Race
100 Mile Race Solo / Century
100 KL Race Solo / Euro Century
50 Mile Race Solo / Half Century

COURSE STATISTICS
Stage 1: 20.64 mi with 3472 ft. of vertical gain
Stage 2: 18.98 mi with 4229 ft. of vertical gain
Stage 3: 22.09 mi with 4204 ft. of vertical gain
Stage 4: 16.73 mi with 2463 ft. of vertical gain
Stage 5: 21.56 mi with 4259 ft. of vertical gain
Grand Total of The E 100 race course: 100 miles of rolling alpine single track trail with a total gain of 18,627 ft.

COURSE ROUTE
The E100 course winds it's way across the backside of Park City's Wasatch mountain range. It connects three world class mountain resorts and maintains an elevation from 7,000 up to 10,000 feet. Go to our race course page to learn more and to see the course maps. Each stage has elevation gain, maps and directions available for download and printing. It is a complex course and a great trail so start pre riding it now.

http://theendurance100.com/

Topo: http://www.borisart.com/e100/maps/totalmap1.pdf
Stages: http://www.borisart.com/e100/race_course_print.php

Anyone interested in the team one?

edit:

So, people that are in:
phUnk
altagirl
mr. altagirl
frizzo (if he gets a job)
monkey

interested:
flykdog
telephil
inspector gadget

phUnk
05-09-2004, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by Ski Monkey

Anyone interested in the team one? Fack yeah!

Note: I have no experience whatsoever. I sometimes forget which brake is the front and which one is the back. I've forgotten my bike shoes on more than 1 ride, in 2 days. I ride in a dented in Giro 9 helmet. I shaved 5 teeth off my big ring riding cement ledges at the U with JayFrizzo. I am a barney. With this said, I have no reservations about riding as fast as possible and waiting to puke until after my stage is done.

So, do I get the job? http://tetongravity.com/ubb/icons/icon14.gif

altagirl
05-09-2004, 06:27 PM
Mr. AG and I will do it too. I have DH qualifications, but no XC qualifications. I'll do it anyway, provided there will be lots of beer drinking afterwards. :)

Stage 4 includes my favorite PC descents. But they all look like they have nice sections and I plan on doing a lot more riding up there anyway.

phUnk
05-09-2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by altagirl
Mr. AG and I will do it too. I have DH qualifications, but no XC qualifications. I'll do it anyway, provided there will be lots of beer drinking afterwards. :)

Stage 4 includes my favorite PC descents. But they all look like they have nice sections and I plan on doing a lot more riding up there anyway. So, are we going to try to create a Maggot team (possibly 2 of em if people like Powho sack up) ?

altagirl
05-09-2004, 06:34 PM
I'm up for it. It's 3-5 people per team, right? I'm figuring we want 5 people on each team, and we probably do have enough people for 2 teams if enough people step up. I'm sure we could get Rotney to do it too if we need an extra person.

phUnk
05-09-2004, 06:44 PM
The site says "helmet required," but I assume those hardhats with two beer can holders and drinking tubes attached are acceptable, right?

jayfrizzo
05-09-2004, 07:32 PM
I want in, too. I'll even shave my shoulders for the event.

J-

PS: If I get a job. </obligitary>

Plakespear
05-09-2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by phUnk
I am a barney.

No you're not. You are a FRED.

skiguide
05-09-2004, 08:24 PM
sure, i'm in .....

125cc or 250 cc????

otherwise, F-that!!!
:D

good luck, mags.

Ski Monkey
05-09-2004, 08:25 PM
Stage four definitely looks like a fun stage. Stage three looks like a burner.

I think we try to do 5 people on a team.

So, people that are in:
phUnk
altagirl
mr. altagirl
frizzo (if he gets a job)
monkey

Looks like more than one team is doable and would add to the fun.

Hard hat beer can holders are a great idea.

Lots of beer drinking following the puking is another great idea.

skiguide
05-09-2004, 08:38 PM
i could come anyway and drink and puke wildly in a strong show of support if you like:)

But alas, i gave my damn '96 Giant mtb away cuz it didn't have any suspension, so that's really why i won't ride;)

altagirl
05-09-2004, 08:53 PM

Looks like more than one team is doable and would add to the fun.

I'm seeing the real competition being between maggot team A "Ninjas" and team B "Pirates".

phUnk
05-09-2004, 09:41 PM
Full disclosure: My philosophy on this race is to train my ass off for it, ride at 99% of my puke threshold, do my best, and not give a shit how hard any of my teammates ride as long as we all have fun.

So, yeah. Fun over competitiveness. Shit, I'm really just in it for an excuse to shave my legs like silky smoov TelePhil.

If we get too many people for 1 team but not enough for 2 teams, two people could ride some of the stages together, if just for kicks.

Also, it would really help the cause if skiguide showed up, half nekkid, with a nalgene bottle. Great. Thanks.

jayfrizzo
05-09-2004, 10:40 PM
Also, it would really help the cause if skiguide showed up, half nekkid, with a nalgene bottle. Great. Thanks.

As long as she doesn't snow up with Pocket Rockets, telling you to "take it like a man."

zion zig zag
05-09-2004, 11:25 PM
I'm down for it. Damn, I wish I still had the superlight. You think I could talk Telephil into letting me use his "heavy bike";)

Telephil
05-09-2004, 11:50 PM
Originally posted by flykdog
I'm down for it. Damn, I wish I still had the superlight. You think I could talk Telephil into letting me use his "heavy bike";)

Not a chance my friend. If I'm riding 100 miles damn if I'm not riding it will a full suspension bike, maybe.

altagirl
05-10-2004, 07:25 AM

I don't think your bike is that much heavier than Mr.AG's bike.

InspectorGadget
05-10-2004, 04:12 PM
I wanna play.

Standard excuses about physical limitations apply.

Ski Monkey
05-10-2004, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by InspectorGadget
I wanna play.

Standard excuses about physical limitations apply.

Is that the wrist limitation or your "other" ones. ;)

zion zig zag
05-10-2004, 05:36 PM
We should all get together and ride all the legs of the race. One leg at a time of course.

phUnk
05-10-2004, 05:56 PM
We should all get together and ride all the legs of the race. One leg at a time of course. I don't know, I always ride with both legs at the same time...

altagirl
05-10-2004, 06:57 PM
IG - you healed up in time?

I agree about getting together and riding each leg - it's a good excuse to get together and ride and they'd all be good practice.

You guys have me all motivated. I went out and rode Jacobs Ladder/Corner Canyon this afternoon for my 4th XC ride in 3 days.

Telephil
05-10-2004, 07:02 PM
IG - you healed up in time?

I agree about getting together and riding each leg - it's a good excuse to get together and ride and they'd all be good practice.

You guys have me all motivated. I went out and rode Jacobs Ladder/Corner Canyon this afternoon for my 4th XC ride in 3 days.

heh, slowly being converted I see.;) BTW, thinking I should join you guys for the Brianhead DH and give the super D a try, just for the hell of it.

altagirl
05-10-2004, 07:10 PM
Most super D courses I've seen are easier than Porcupine - you'd be all set!

To be honest, I am on a climbing kick. My new bike climbs well and I've started to like it, and have lost my "This $&%@^# sucks I'm never doing it again, This sucks I'm never doing it again" mantra I used to have in my head while climbing, which seems to help too... ;)

You won't convert me completely, because a real DH bike is like using fat skis on a powder day. Soooo much more fun. But hiking and tearing up groomers can be fun too...

InspectorGadget
05-10-2004, 10:22 PM
My limitations for the context of this discussion are related to my broken bits - to say nothing of the complete loss of what conditioning I did have five weeks ago. Can we please just ignore my "other" limitations? Bastard! You promised not to say anything!! ;)

Friday is a big day; I'm hoping the cast comes off and the pins come out. I expect them to re-cast my arm, but hopefully not for too long. Rehab? Little or none would be good, but we'll see.

The race is far enough out on the calendar that I think I'll be back on the bike and able to do some training rides on the course with y'all.

edit: forgot the winkie^^^^

altagirl
05-11-2004, 07:17 AM
Sweet! Hope Friday goes well for you!

Ski Monkey
05-11-2004, 10:56 AM
Good luck IG, let us know how it goes!

Sorry about outing your other limitations, I thought it was public knowledge after the last little incident. ;)

InspectorGadget
05-11-2004, 01:17 PM
Sorry about outing your other limitations, I thought it was public knowledge after the last little incident. ;)

Oh, you're right; it was short term memory loss on my part. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the encouraging words AG & SM. I am serious about joining the team for the PC race if at all possible. I think hiking the trails for some exercise and inspection might be a good idea.

phUnk
05-16-2004, 02:22 PM
Interesting bit on mtbr.com forums with some distance/vertical/times very similar to the E100 race stages:

Tour of Canyonlands, Moab
25 mi. loop that included one big climb, a fire road descent, a
rolling section that had very little technical terrain, a 400-ft hike a
bike climb, and a very technical descent (Amasa Back). Total
climbing was approximately 2000 feet for the course.

SPORT WOMEN, 2:16, 11.0 mph
EXPERT WOMEN, 1:57, 12.8 mph
SPORT MEN, 1:52, 13.4 mph
PRO WOMEN, 1:50, 13.6 mph
EXPERT MEN, 1:36, 15.6 mph
PRO MEN, 1:29, 16.9 mph

King of the Rockies, Winter Park, CO
25.8 mi. point-to-point course with 4011 feet of climbing. Mix of
fire roads and singletrack, with a decent amount of technical
sections. The entire course sits at over 8700 feet of elevation.

SPORT WOMEN, 2:34, 10.1 mph
EXPERT WOMEN, 2:18, 11.2 mph
SPORT MEN, 2:05, 12.4 mph
PRO WOMEN, 2:04, 12.5 mph
EXPERT MEN, 1:56, 13.3 mph
PRO MEN, 1:45, 14.7 mph

Ski Monkey
05-16-2004, 06:10 PM
Cool stats. I was thinking under 2 hrs per stage shouldn't be a problem. I am going to try and ride stage 3 this week sometime, we'll see how it goes.

jayfrizzo
05-16-2004, 06:41 PM
2 hours? 12 mph, really? That seems fast to me. But then again I'm not much of a XCer.

Though is the course like phIzzy says, little tech terrain?

J-

phUnk
05-16-2004, 08:27 PM
Cool stats. I was thinking under 2 hrs per stage shouldn't be a problem. I am going to try and ride stage 3 this week sometime, we'll see how it goes. Based on those numbers, mapping those times/distances to my shoreline to bobsled to the U route, I'm facking slow.

I'm talking "JayFrizzo on the in-run to a 20 foot tabletop" slow.

I've been chasing chickens and eating 20-raw-egg shakes though, so I should have the eye of the tiger soon.

Monkeyman, I'd like to drive up and join you for that stage ride. I'd even take the day off from work to get the timing right if need be. Let me know.

Ski Monkey
05-16-2004, 09:48 PM
Monkeyman, I'd like to drive up and join you for that stage ride. I'd even take the day off from work to get the timing right if need be. Let me know.

I'm thinking tues. my legs should be good again. The bird was sick today and I don't think I'm going to be up for a 22 mile ride tomorrow. My schedule should be pretty open tues. so maybe we do it late tues afternoon? Let me know what works best for you.

I may be way off with my sub 2 hour stage guess, but I'm thinking after we are done training by chasing multiple chickens and eating 40 plus raw egg shakes. ;)

jayfrizzo
05-16-2004, 09:53 PM
All that drunk pilled-up stuff aside, I'm going running Monday Morning but will go for a ride with you dirty monkeys tuesdya.

J-

phUnk
05-16-2004, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by jayfrizzo
All that drunk pilled-up stuff aside, I'm going running Monday Morning but will go for a ride with you dirty monkeys tuesdya.

J- You gonna ride that warlock 22 miles at elevation?

I couldn't even get you to ride it to my house.

jayfrizzo
05-16-2004, 10:06 PM
You gonna ride that warlock 22 miles at elevation?

I couldn't even get you to ride it to my house.

I said it, and I'll do it.

Unlike you, who said you'd ride downtown Saturday and instead took a nap.

Whassup now, bizzle?

zion zig zag
05-16-2004, 11:23 PM
Damn, I don't think I'm ready for a 22 miler right now, but if Frizzos gonna do it on his DJ bike I'd give it a shot. Is tuesday afternoon set in stone? I could go in the am or anytime wendsday, but don't reschedule all your schedules for my schedule.

Telephil
05-16-2004, 11:33 PM
I would be up for tuesday as well, but it would have to be morning, earlier the better. Not phUnk early, like around 8 or so.

phUnk
05-17-2004, 10:53 AM
Whassup now, bizzle? You're gonna get fucked.

Proper fucked.

To everyone else: I've already told work I "have a doctor's appointment" Tuesday afternoon, so I'm doing it then no matter what. Also, I assume that I'm Frizzo's transportation if he continues with his misguided intentions of trying to do this ride, so we'll want another hour or so after the ride, to wait for Frizzo to finish.

"Does it just keep going up like this the whole time?" -JayFrizzo, about 20 minutes into the Dry Creek ride.

Bwa!

altagirl
05-17-2004, 11:02 AM
I can do Tuesday afternoon (I can be in PC by noon at the earliest). I'm not sure how ready I am for that either, but I'll do it anyway...

jayfrizzo
05-17-2004, 11:21 AM
I actually just looked at Stage 3. 22 miles with 4200 foot elevation gain. Why start out with the hardest stage?

Everyone's gonna get fucked.

Improperly fucked.

You're gonna need at least 3 hours, with breaks. More time with phunk, who likes to stop every 2-3 minutes and talk about how cool he is. :)

Edit: Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure I'll be the slowest one there. Are we gonna practice the "wait for the guy behind you at forks in the trail" etiquette? If so -- and we should cause I know for sure I'd get lost as fork w/o it -- and you guys don't want to wait for me I'll bag it.

Edit Edit: Doh! I got so caught up in phUnk bagging on me that I forgot about an interview Tuesday. So I'm out unless you suckas decide to ride in the evening.

J-

altagirl
05-17-2004, 11:27 AM
I'd throw my vote at starting with an easier leg too... but whichever one you guys want to do is fine.

skibe
05-17-2004, 11:44 AM
I will be in PC Tuesday so I might join the crew for a ride. That way frizzo can have somebody to talk to at the back of the pack. Where is everyone meeting?

zion zig zag
05-17-2004, 12:35 PM
I agree on starting with an easier leg. All you suckas with your sub-38 pound, super duper xc racing machines don't see the pain of a 4200 ft climb.
Anyway I guess I'm out, can't do the afternoon. Ski Monkey et al, can you go anytime next week? I definitley want to do a couple of the stages before the big day.

phUnk
05-17-2004, 01:48 PM
JayFrizzo: I wasn't bagging on you, Polly Prissy Pants, I was trying to prepare you for a suffer-fest. You don't have an XC bike you don't ride XC. That's going to make a 20 mile XC ride pretty interesting for you. In summary: suck it. :p

Flyk: Sorry you can't make it. My bike's probably about 32 pounds and I'm missing my two easiest rear cogs, so we'd probably be about even.

I vote for an easier stage too, but I'm up for whatever.

I'd also be up for doing it again next week.

Word.

Ski Monkey
05-17-2004, 04:12 PM
flyk: I'm good for whenever. I am usually in slc mon. and wed. mornings but other than that I just need a little warning.

The only reason I said stage 3 first was because none of the other stages are open yet(snow). You can't access the midmountain trail from spiro on stage 1 & 5, the upper parts of stages 2 & 4 are also unpassable still. The Spiro midmountain trail connection should be opening in the next week or so I would imagine.

And, none of us may be ready for it, but at least we'll know where we stand. I'm expecting some pain. And for all you bitchin' about bikes I'm doing it on my rigid. My new bike is still a few weeks off.

Does 4ish should like a good time tomorrow? I should prolly check the weather....

edit: frizzo, yeah we'll be doing the wait for the group at the forks. Looking over the directions it looks like there might be some route finding breaks as well.

zion zig zag
05-17-2004, 04:37 PM
flyk: I'm good for whenever. I am usually in slc mon. and wed. mornings but other than that I just need a little warning.

My new bike is still a few weeks off.

Cool, I'll let you know as soon as I can. I just have to trust you on the trails, cause I don't any of them in PC.
What bike you getting?

phUnk
05-17-2004, 04:37 PM
Looking over the directions it looks like there might be some route finding breaks as well. Meaning "We're probably going to die, lost, in the mountains, with nothing to eat but the slowest among us."

It's times like that that I am proud to be fast, skinny, stringy and gamey. :D

I think we should leave a bit earlier than 4. How about 3? Weather.com says it'll be 72°F all afternoon with some wind that dies down around 3pm.

Ski Monkey
05-17-2004, 04:42 PM
Meaning "We're probably going to die, lost, in the mountains, with nothing to eat but the slowest among us."

It's times like that that I am proud to be fast, skinny, stringy and gamey. :D

Likewise. ;)

I think we should leave a bit earlier than 4. How about 3? Weather.com says it'll be 72°F all afternoon with some wind that dies down around 3pm.

3 sounds good to me. I just didn't want you to have miss too much work.

flyk, likely be the spec. stumpjumper fsr elite.

altagirl
05-17-2004, 05:27 PM
3 is fine for me too, but I'm off work at 11am every day lately, so earlier works too.

phUnk
05-17-2004, 10:56 PM
Where should we meet at 3?

Altagirl, my # is 801-230-1697 if you want to carpool or just coordinate our... coordinates.

Ski Monkey
05-17-2004, 11:08 PM
How about in the main parking lot at Silver Lake(by the goldener hirsch)? That's where the stage starts.

altagirl
05-18-2004, 09:06 AM
Sounds good.

phUnk
05-18-2004, 11:07 AM
Woah. Did you guys see this little tidbit on the E100 website?

1. 100 mileTeam Relay: $250 per team (3 to 5 riders)

:eek:

jayfrizzo
05-18-2004, 11:22 AM
:eek:

That's $50 each. WTF, I know a lot goes into a race, but it's being staffed by volunteers.

Ef that.

phUnk
05-18-2004, 11:51 AM
For $50, it better be BJI.

And I want mine after I run my stage. :cool:

Stoysluttie1
05-18-2004, 01:14 PM
well. I'd be in if i had the money. I just rode a 40 the other day.

I don't u nderstand why it is more expensive to torture yourself even more. 90 bones for 50 miles and 175 for 100??? Should there even be a difference?

cololi
05-18-2004, 01:33 PM
Lets see, I just rode 9 miles (mostly on road), climbed about 1,000 total feet (very easy climb) and finished in 45 minutes. I would die.

SLCFreshies
05-18-2004, 11:46 PM
How did Stage 3 go today? Anymore snow? Do it in under 2 hours?

I just read about this race, and was SO psyched to do it, but then I realized my friend is having a wedding the same weekend. In Puerto Rico. Arg.

Anyways, good luck to all of ya doing the race. If anyone wants to ride this week, send me a PM. I'm on vacation (/cheer), and would be up for a nice long ride.

altagirl
05-19-2004, 07:54 AM
Um, no. The directions had about a hundred lines to them... so I think at some points we were stopping and trying to figure out where we were going next more than we were riding. About halfway through we lost the trail - there was a very thin overgrown trail that you could sort of make out through the brush which could possibly have been it, but I hope not - it needs some work if it is. Ski Monkey got a flat, and weather looked like it was rolling in, so we climbed up Royal street for a few miles to get back to the cars. We did have to walk through several patches of snow, but just when you're crossing runs where they blew it 10 feet deep. Othewise the trails were pretty much dry. Spin Cycle was sweet, but there are a bunch of trees down and one gigantic boulder that slid into the trail. Hopefully next week mid-mountain and the top of Spiro will be clear.

Mr.AG and I are planning to ride Mueller Park sometime this afternoon, and then I'm thinking Jacob's Ladder and the Quarry trail later in the week.

Telephil
05-19-2004, 08:14 AM

Mr.AG and I are planning to ride Mueller Park sometime this afternoon.

What time?

SLCFreshies
05-19-2004, 09:38 AM
Ya, when? I'd be up for Mueller Park. Last time I tried to ride it (a month ago), there was still a lot of snow. I'd be able to go later this afternoon--like 3'ish or so.

altagirl
05-19-2004, 09:55 AM
Unfortunately it depends on how Mr.AG's day is going at work... I'll try to get him to commit to a time soon.

SLCFreshies
05-19-2004, 10:13 AM
Cool--no rush though. I love how it's light out until 8:30PM these days. My parents are in town and we're going to Kennecott (don't ask :p). I'll shoot to be back at home by 3PM or so.

Ski Monkey
05-19-2004, 12:32 PM
Yeah, as ag said it was a pretty interesting ride. Much more route finding that I thought it would take. I think we still managed to get close to 4k in vert even though we didn't do all the mileage. I'm geussing we came in around 12-14 miles. The phase we cut out was the lost prospector loop that is pretty consistant in elevation. When I get my new back tire I am going to go poke around lower d.v. and see if i can find the trail back to silver lake. Maybe tomorrow afternoon.

altagirl
05-19-2004, 01:21 PM
Looks like we should be at the trailhead by 4pm.

phUnk
06-03-2004, 07:20 PM
Bump b/c I'm at work and rather be riding right now.

Ski Monkey
06-04-2004, 05:17 PM
anyone looking to ride next week?

powderwhore
06-04-2004, 05:46 PM
I'm always up for a ride. Give me a ring yo!

altagirl
06-04-2004, 09:30 PM
Sure, let me know when.

phUnk
06-06-2004, 05:53 PM
I like to ride my bicycle.

Ski Monkey
06-15-2004, 12:11 PM
Registration is now open. If we register within the first 100 people we get a kelty hydro pack.

Who is still interested? I am going to assume phUnk, altagirls and myself.

phUnk
06-15-2004, 12:32 PM
Registration is now open. If we register within the first 100 people we get a kelty hydro pack.

Who is still interested? I am going to assume phUnk, altagirls and myself. Yes.

Let's just front the money for the 5th person so we can register now, and actually find the last person at our leisure.

Fuck it. I'll ride two stages if need be. I'm not afraid.

JayFrizzo said his faster-than-light buddy "Durango Dan" might be into it. I'll try to remember to ask him.

jayfrizzo
06-16-2004, 09:57 AM
I get a hydro pack as a finder's fee for Durango.

phUnk
06-16-2004, 12:32 PM
I get a hydro pack as a finder's fee for Durango. Fair enough.

(Note to everyone else: Frizzo needs the hydro pack more than anybody else. The freaking guy sweats so much biking in the sun that he ends up looking like Grandpa Simpson.)