18+ miles

ratio of pain felt on this ride to pain felt all season of skiing:

10:1

# of snakes bunny-hopped on singletrack:

# of wild turkeys seen gobbling through the grasses:

3 flocks

#of cows blocking first creek crossing:

# of cows weighing at least 2 tons and staring right through me

# of cows who listened to me saying, "Thas agood coooww...whoooos agood cow? ahh yeahh...thasriight, mooooove to the side, whooooos agood cow be agood cow?"

# of cows weighing at least 2 tons who didn't listen at all to the above coo-ing:

Amount of time spent staring down 2 ton cow blocking creek crossing trying to figure out how I'm going to get this monster behemoth to move out of the way:

Eternity

Depth of creek at the point I fell in carrying my bike trying to get around 2 ton cow:

4 feet.

Steps closer to me 2-ton cow took when after succesfully fording the creek I yelled, "That's right bitch! Who's your mamma?! Keep chewin that grass bitch!!! I'm going to McDonald's bitch to get a double cheeseburger!!!":

Five

Speed at which I shut up and took off on my bike after 2-ton cow made his move:

Instantaneously

amount of daylight left for the last 30 minutes of ride:

0 hours 0 mins 0 seconds

amount of time spent in complete one-ness with the bike, riding in near complete darkness, with only a narrow, gray sliver of singletrack to follow through the darkness:

30 minutes.

number of "parkers" i surprised when I came crashing through the manzanitas in the dark at trailhead:

unknown (fogged up windows)

cost of sipping a post-ride black butte porter, sitting on the hood of my car, watching the sun's disappear over the horizon and the moon rise in the lake in front of me, while listening to the King's beat the Timberwolves areses on the radio:

Priceless

Viva
05-05-2004, 11:51 AM
Sweet!

skiergirl
05-05-2004, 11:52 AM
Beauty!

Telenater
05-05-2004, 12:03 PM
Damn, Damn, Damn, I shoulda been there......

NateR's reasons for bailing:

1. Compressed front shock (1996 manitou) on the driveway. Shock respond by spurting oil onto the driveway.

2. No LBS able to do a shock replacement in time for the ride.

Sounds like a real adventure. Remember our conversation on the phone about the ride?

CS
05-05-2004, 12:03 PM
Cool man.

JMO
05-05-2004, 12:45 PM
Nice work, Ty. So you've got parkers out there, too?

watersnowdirt
05-05-2004, 12:50 PM
I'm not exaggerating when I say that brought a little tear to my eye. Damn sweet, Shoe. Sounds like a frikkin crazy, great time.

Can't wait to finally ride with you this summer!

(edited .... nothing to see here :) )

InspectorGadget
05-05-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by watersnowdirt
Night Rider lights - if you need one, I can get one pro form - drop me a line.

Hey everybody, WSD has a line on lights. So generous. So very cool. ;)

Great ride report Tyrone! Those cows were definitely not from Gary Larson's herd.

Big E
05-05-2004, 01:44 PM
Awesome Shoe, cool to see the bike stoke and TR's coming around.

hev
05-05-2004, 02:06 PM
cool RR (ride report)

Tyrone Shoelaces
05-05-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by Telenater

Sounds like a real adventure.

hey speaking of which...I found a new trail that branches off from the main one. Remember after the big climb there's that road downhill section? The one where arty nearly got taken out by that car? :D Well at the bottom of the road, just as you enter into the campground area is a new trail that hugs the lake shoreline...its pretty sweet....I followed it for about 20 minutes before I realized I had better turn around due to time. Can't wait to explore it to the end.

Arty50
05-06-2004, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by Tyrone Shoelaces
hey speaking of which...I found a new trail that branches off from the main one. Remember after the big climb there's that road downhill section? The one where arty nearly got taken out by that car? :D Well at the bottom of the road, just as you enter into the campground area is a new trail that hugs the lake shoreline...its pretty sweet....I followed it for about 20 minutes before I realized I had better turn around due to time. Can't wait to explore it to the end.

Ah, how could I forget. :eek:

That's the first time I've ever seen a car on this road.

[Arty shaking in ditch]Uh...yeah...comforting...[/ASID] :D

Sweet write up. I definitely have to get down there again. I need revenge on that trail. Not only did I almost get run over, but I broke my crank and my left quad cramped up so bad I was screaming in pain. Fun shit!!! :(

Telenater
05-06-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Arty50
Ah, how could I forget. :eek:

That's the first time I've ever seen a car on this road.

[Arty shaking in ditch]Uh...yeah...comforting...[/ASID] :D

Sweet write up. I definitely have to get down there again. I need revenge on that trail. Not only did I almost get run over, but I broke my crank and my left quad cramped up so bad I was screaming in pain. Fun shit!!! :(

That was a fun ride. Mach looney on the asphalt catching air off the rollers, zipping past a car then hearing the car horn and tire screech behind me, Arty's gu pocket, Arty's crankset, Arty's chain.

Tyrone Shoelaces
05-06-2004, 12:14 PM
Arty -- 'Nater and I are planning on doing this ride just about every Tuesday evening starting around 6-ish (I can't this next coming tuesday however, 'cause I'll be out of town). You should come on down and ride with us.....bring some of yer Tahoe cronies down too...then we can have apres-ride feasts at the Murder Burger like last time or BBQ fests at my place :)

Telenater
05-06-2004, 12:19 PM
Arty -- 'Nater and I are planning on doing this ride just about every Tuesday evening starting around 6-ish (I can't this next coming tuesday however, 'cause I'll be out of town). You should come on down and ride with us.....bring some of yer Tahoe cronies down too...then we can have apres-ride feasts at the Murder Burger like last time or BBQ fests at my place :)

I'm liking this idea more and more every second I think about it.

Vinman
05-06-2004, 01:00 PM
Most cows will move for you if you pat them on the rear a bit. BUT for you own safty stand well to the side as not to get kicked AND try this only if you are sure it is a cow and not a bull. PS. never try to milk a bull.

Arty50
05-06-2004, 01:25 PM
Ahhh...yes. How could I forget the Gu packet. As a public service announcement, I would like to notify everyone that keeping a Gu packet in your pocket is a bad idea...especially when you fall on said pocket.

I'm definitely down for this. If the others want to carpool, we can even take the diplomat mobile for a cushy ride down there. One problem though, I only have two bike carriers. I do accept bribes.

divegirl
05-06-2004, 01:31 PM
So is this ride for JONGs, too? Can I come along, maybe even lag behind (cuz I'm a mtb jong), but still participate in the ride & festivities? Will there be other JONGs there, too? :)

Xover
05-06-2004, 02:28 PM
i hate snakes

Telenater
05-06-2004, 02:59 PM
DG, There isn't that much technical riding there (except for Micky mouse, and from what I've heard that's one that deserves body armor). I suspect you'll do fine.

TS, any good routes for getting to the top of Flagstaff peak and then bombing down the trail we used to go up last time?

Tyrone Shoelaces
05-06-2004, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Telenater

TS, any good routes for getting to the top of Flagstaff peak and then bombing down the trail we used to go up last time?

The only other way is to do the route (the part that circumnavigates around Flagstaff) reverse. i.e. Ride past the trailhead for the beginning of the rocky climb we did last time, ride the singletrack to the road and climb the road to the top of flagstaff.