PDA

View Full Version : XC tire recommendation?

dipstik
05-03-2004, 06:12 PM
I know nothing about tires, except that mine have about as much traction as slicks in snow.

Anyway, I want to invest in some new ones. I'll be using them for singletrack mostly (sometimes rocky, sometimes hardpack, sometimes loose stuff), rarely on pavement (except to get back to the trail head) and rarely in wet conditions. I guess I'm just looking for a good all around tire with good traction in most conditions. Does such a tire exist? If so, can I get it for around $50?

altagirl
05-03-2004, 06:15 PM
What size are the tires you're currently using?

dipstik
05-03-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by altagirl
What size are the tires you're currently using?

26x1.9

altagirl
05-03-2004, 06:39 PM
Well, there's your #1 problem if you want more traction. Go to a 2.1 or even a 2.3. You just have to realize that you increase rolling resistance as you increase width, but you gain traction. I certainly wouldn't go below a 2.1 unless you're racing or something.

The 2.1 Maxxis High Rollers that came on my 575 are the smallest I've used in years, but they're working surprisingly well so far.

trainnvain
05-03-2004, 06:42 PM
First off, you live in New England so you will be riding in wet conditions a lot. Rain or no rain.
Tire of choice for XC around here seem to be Michelins in that funky green, IRC mythos XC 1.9 and 2.1's, IRC Backcountry in 2.3/2.1 and WTB Velociraptors.

If you're on those Spec. Rocksters I don't blame ya for wanting to swap out.

zion zig zag
05-03-2004, 07:41 PM
continental explorer pro for a 2.1 and vertical pro for 2.3

Spats
05-03-2004, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by flykdog
continental explorer pro for a 2.1 and vertical pro for 2.3

Ding! "Vertical Pro" is the correct answer unless you ride in mud a lot.

Theodore
05-03-2004, 10:38 PM
Same question but for tubeless. I have a CrossMax UST wheelset. I have Hutch Pythons on there now, but I'd like a more aggressive shoulder design to bite in on hard fast turns.

*edit* I was always fond of the Specialized Team Control and Team Master, but they didn't get the greatest reviews on mtbreview.com Anyone have any experience with the tubeless versions of these?

L8APX
05-04-2004, 07:42 AM
not sure what type of trails (moist, loose, hard...) your riding, but on my xc I run Mich Hot S 2.2. They are 630 grams and I run them tubeless on cross max xl's. They are sweet. With the tubeless they are lighter than most 2.1 tubeless tires and about the same as a 550 gram tire + tube combo. give them a shot they're hot.

homerjay
05-04-2004, 08:20 AM
I'd recommend IRC Seracs. As soon as my stock Kendas wear out, the Seracs will get the call.

Viva
05-04-2004, 08:49 AM
I'm currently running the WTB Mutanoraptor (?) front and the Conti Survivor Pro in back. Both are 2.3. Bike is a hardtail. The Survivor Pro is a very nice tire and, so far, has worked very well in the limited conditions I've ridden in. I guess that it will be probably only average on hardpack, though. The Mutanoraptor hasn't impressed me at all. Mediocre tracking, does better at lower pressure.

I would love to try the Michelin Hot S. That tire reminds me of the old IRC Yeti from about 10 years ago, a great tire.

I'll be using these tires for at least a couple of more months. Once Oregon drys out, I expect to see a fair amount of hardpack and will switch over.