PDA

View Full Version : Kirkweed Krew- rounding up a summer ride pack

Superstar Punani
05-03-2004, 12:26 PM
Who's in? :D

lph is probably the best guide and has the most knowledge of the Tahoe trails
I heard Hardrider found his new addiction.
Spats rips, even on a rented Walmart bike.
Arty50 can be easily talked into guinea pigging stuff.
Sobchak has a bike, but he'll probably be skiing until October.
Kellie wants a bike
Clack needs to get gas money for Tahoe
Watersnowdirt is recovering and will soon be back in action
Nater, Lego, etc has a bike
Anyone and everyone else I've missed up for some summer riding?
(Edit- Tyrone sorry man! I thought you were skiing w/ Sobchak until October too :D)

All non-summer-skiing Kirkweeders unite! We can eaither hit up the Chair 2 MTB park, or trip up to Northstar for some DH steeze.

Mmmm....summer...all we need to do now is convince lph to add a speedboat to his list of toys :D

Viva
05-03-2004, 02:07 PM
I'll be in the area for Western States, around June 23-29. The race starts on Sat 26 and goes through Sun and I won't be riding on those days.

I'll be spending the Fri night at a place called Red Star Ridge, which you can see from Emigrant Pass at the top of Squaw. There's probably some decent riding around there and any of you are welcome to hang out there with me and the crew.

Tyrone Shoelaces
05-03-2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Punani
Whose in? :D

lph is probably the best guide and has the most knowledge of the Tahoe trails
I heard Hardrider found his new addiction.
Spats rips, even on a rented Walmart bike.
Sobchak has a bike, but he'll probably be skiing until October.
Kellie wants a bike
Watersnowdirt is recovering and will soon be back in action
Nater, Lego, etc has a bike

I see I've been summarily kicked out of the Kirkwood crew. :(

...or maybe just reduced to an "ect" :( :(

Telenater
05-03-2004, 02:53 PM
I'll be up a lot of weekends with my bike and interested in riding, hiking, or just drinking beers.

Just got a new front fork and a crankset that won't flex when I get out of the seat to crank.

Superstar Punani
05-03-2004, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Tyrone Shoelaces
I see I've been summarily kicked out of the Kirkwood crew. :(

...or maybe just reduced to an "ect" :( :(

Do you see what happens, Larry, when you miss the closing day at the 'Wood?
:D

CS
05-03-2004, 03:14 PM
I'd definately be up to making the trek North anytime you guys head to Northstar for some DH madness, or, anytime I'm sick of the heat (which is already happening).

watersnowdirt
05-03-2004, 04:04 PM
looking forward to getting back out there. exactly one month from tomorrow. Not that I'm counting.

divegirl
05-04-2004, 01:41 PM
Yo, yo!! Check this out - Lego and I went mountain biking on Sunday, and I just have to say, I totally ate shit after going around a hard turn, and now have the scars to prove it. Oooh, I feel so burly! Grrrrrr............
It was my second mountain biking experience! I love it!
Oh, and Pu - I'm in for any mountain biking trips with the crew. I'd like to explore the bay area trails, too, sometime during the summer. I'm a Jong, but ehhh, that will get better with time :)

Spats
05-04-2004, 03:04 PM
Anytime, foo. You've got my cell.

Arty50
05-04-2004, 06:13 PM

It's the helmet. :D

Kellie
05-04-2004, 11:53 PM
Who's in? :D

Kellie wants a bike

Mmmm....summer...all we need to do now is convince lph to add a speedboat to his list of toys :D

If I get my act together and get said bike, carpooling can certainly be arranged!!!! Punani, when are you going to take me to these trails you speak so highly of?!?

And, let's keep lph's priorities clear: snowmachine, and then a boat :-)

powder11
05-05-2004, 06:41 AM
im finally moving after 6 yrs of procrastination! i'll be out to tahoe/reno sometime this summer, my gf is going for job interviews and we are going to scope out a new crib for the fall. looking forward to meeting y'all and hook up for a bike ride. btw, if anyone knows of orthopedic surgeons in the tahoe/reno area who hire physician assistants, please pm me.

watersnowdirt
05-05-2004, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by divegirl
Yo, yo!! Check this out - Lego and I went mountain biking on Sunday, and I just have to say, I totally ate shit after going around a hard turn, and now have the scars to prove it. Oooh, I feel so burly! Grrrrrr............

girl - you are my kind of rider! I cannot wait to ride with you, L!!!!! scars and bruises rock! ;) I have to say, since my surgery, it's the first time I've been bruise free in a long time. It sort of feels weird to look down at my legs and not see any black and blue! that'll all change in a month. :)

hardrider
05-05-2004, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Kellie

Im working him for the sleds, ya'll focus on the boat.;)

Telenater
05-05-2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by hardrider
Im working him for the sleds, ya'll focus on the boat.;)

I'm going to continue being morally opposed to the use of sleds for backcountry access. (until I have access to a sled anyways...)

Clack
05-05-2004, 07:56 PM
If I get my act together and get said bike, carpooling can certainly be arranged!!!! Punani, when are you going to take me to these trails you speak so highly of?!?

Kellie- Got my bike. Now all you need to do is get yours and be at the trailhead (five min from your door) at 7:00 on any given Monday, Wednesday, or Friday. No need for Tam when we've got Diablo right here.

lph- snowmachines and boat. You saved a bit on the slush fund from my hiatus this year. Could be a down.

I'd bring my boat up but lph's crowd will laugh me off the lake. It does fit well in the Delta though if the bay area mags are interested.

tyrone- once again it's on

Clack

divegirl
05-06-2004, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by watersnowdirt
girl - you are my kind of rider! I cannot wait to ride with you, L!!!!! scars and bruises rock! ;) I have to say, since my surgery, it's the first time I've been bruise free in a long time. It sort of feels weird to look down at my legs and not see any black and blue! that'll all change in a month. :)
Likewise!!! I can't wait for you to get 100%. Do you have an update for us? Haven't heard much regarding your injury...maybe I haven't been looking? Sac is far away from all you bay area trail people...but we'll figure a weekend to meet up in Tahoe to MTB. Can't wait! :)

watersnowdirt
05-06-2004, 10:40 AM
Rehab is going really well. The surgeon originally estimated 4-6 months before I can resume activities. Pain will stick around for about 1 year, but at least I'll be able to do stuff.

Of course, I've never even considered the 6 month timeframe. It's been 4 months in my mind since the beginning. 4 months will be June 4, so I'm rounding the bend as we speak.

Right now, I can hike and that's about it. I'm doing as much as I can, and starting to feel like a human being again. My shoulder/arm doesn't hurt too much anymore, and I have full range of motion (woohoo!). Strength is practically non existent in that arm, so as of this week, I start to strengthen it.

so, all in all, things are looking good, and I'm can see the light at the end of the tunnel. When I get back on a bike, it will have been exactly 8 months and one week since the injury and subsequent surgery - by far the longest recovery period I've ever had to deal with. So needless to say....

I CAN'T FACKING WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Kellie
05-06-2004, 10:21 PM
okay, I need to get my act together!!!!

Clack, you guys really go three times/week?!?!? HARD CORE!!!! What kind of bike did you get? Are you loving it? How long do you ride for . . . I generally have to be at work by 8 . . .

WSD and Ty, what kind of bike do you guys have? You have the same one, right?!? And you love it?

This whole sport is so overwhelming!!! I think I'm going for a ride and some education on Monday though, so we'll see if I get hooked :-)

Tyrone Shoelaces
05-07-2004, 09:26 AM

WSD and Ty, what kind of bike do you guys have? You have the same one, right?!? And you love it?

Yup pretty sure we both have similar Santa Cruz Superlights......Sometimes I wish it had a little bit more travel, but for the type of riding I do 90% of the time, (fast XC, climbing, singletrack, etc.) it's perfect:
http://www.santacruzbikes.com/graphics/bikes/superlight.jpg

Telenater
05-07-2004, 11:33 AM
Kellie,

There are lots of good bikes out ther right now. Find a good shop and demo everything you can. Lots of bike shops will let you apply some cost for bike rentals to the purchase of a bike.

However, the superlight should definitely be on the short list of bikes to checkout. I haven't ridden one, but I own it's predecessor (SC Tazmon) and for a lightweight single pivot it's a very nice setup.

watersnowdirt
05-07-2004, 12:42 PM
yup. i'm on the same super light as Shoe. Sadly, it's locked into a trainer in my living room right now :(. But I love it. It's a damn sweet right if you can part with the $$$.

freshies
05-07-2004, 03:03 PM
SC Superlights rock - nice, simple ( i mean that in the best way..) single pivot design. you can get 'em fairly cheap these days too.....i hooked an old GF up w/one, XT and Fox Float 100RL for about $2100...

now, i highly reccomend the Blur.....Ferris Bueller quote: "If you have the means to acquire one, I highly reccomend doing so..."

The Blur just plain rocks.....

Kellie
05-09-2004, 11:10 PM
should i regard $2100 as cheap??? dear lord, i don't know if i should go near this sport!

how much travel does the superlight have? so far, the bikes i've looked most seriously at have 4" on each . . . is that about right?

White Chocolate
05-09-2004, 11:31 PM
should i regard $2100 as cheap??? dear lord, i don't know if i should go near this sport!

how much travel does the superlight have? so far, the bikes i've looked most seriously at have 4" on each . . . is that about right?

Have you looked around for used bikes? it's definately the best way to get into a decent bike for cheap right off the bat. And if you plan on doing any downhill oriented riding or plan on coming back up here to ride :D you probably would want something more substantial then the superlight (which has 4 and 4). Don't let all those crosscountry california nerds sway you away from the light ;)

Kellie
05-09-2004, 11:56 PM
Craig told me I should come up for a trip and make the collective you take me "shopping" . . .

Yeah, I'm definitely going to look for used . . . and I have no idea where I'll be living anytime soon - though I know where the promised-land is and I haven't forgotten it :-)

freshies
05-10-2004, 10:49 AM

I have to respectfully disagree w/WC on needing more than 4' of travel......really, as this will be your first MTB, and you live in CA, which means you will climbing a lot on the trails you will ride (everything in Tahoe, Downieville/foothills area, Marin, etc), anything more crosses into the "freeride" or DH catagory, which would prob'ly be overkill for ya......

4' and a 100mm up front is a nice balance for good all around riding.....see if you can find a superlight or blur used somewhere (first determine size frame you need: prob'ly small or med i am guessing), then you can swap out stem and post to dial in fit...but if you are gonna buy used, the frame needs to fit you.....that's the most important thing to consider...

altagirl
05-10-2004, 11:04 AM
I think it depends both on the bike and what you enjoy.

I just got a 575 (http://www.go-ride.com/prod_frames_yeti.html) (5" front 5.75" rear travel) and it's just as light or lighter than my old 4"/4" XC bike and climbs much better with the 5th air.

You're not going to find a used 575 though, since they just came out this spring, but they're still a great bike for the price.

watersnowdirt
05-10-2004, 12:49 PM
I'm with Freshies. A superlight is a great bike and will be fine for 98 percent of what you'll do . It handles Downieville like a champ, absolutely anything around the Bay Area.

Here's one on Craigslist for $1400...

http://www.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/30652175.html

Also, you're more than welcome to borrow my old bike (definitely a beginner, heavy hard tail, but does the job) any old time.

lph
05-10-2004, 02:36 PM
I guess i gotta check this forum more often. come to find out you guys are going to 'work on me' to buy a ski boat and a couple sleds. ;)

i have so many friends with ski boats it would be a waste for me to buy one. although, i am usually tagging along, which i hate. might have to buy my own.

kellie, superlight is a great bike, but for your first bike, it is alot of money to spend, cause you don't know how much you are going to use it, and whether you need to spend that much on a bike. that amount of travel is perfect, you won't be hucking any big drops on that bike, but you will be able to hang on almost any descent.

lets do a weekend in july. in june i am off the second weekend and will most likely be riding.

any of you guys roadbike? gonna do the ride around the lake on sunday june 6th should be a blast. you can do it on a mtn bike, might take a bit longer though. ;)

freshies
05-10-2004, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by lph
I guess i gotta check this forum more often. come to find out you guys are going to 'work on me' to buy a ski boat and a couple sleds. ;)

i have so many friends with ski boats it would be a waste for me to buy one. although, i am usually tagging along, which i hate. might have to buy my own.

kellie, superlight is a great bike, but for your first bike, it is alot of money to spend, cause you don't know how much you are going to use it, and whether you need to spend that much on a bike. that amount of travel is perfect, you won't be hucking any big drops on that bike, but you will be able to hang on almost any descent.

lets do a weekend in july. in june i am off the second weekend and will most likely be riding.

any of you guys roadbike? gonna do the ride around the lake on sunday june 6th should be a blast. you can do it on a mtn bike, might take a bit longer though. ;)

hey lph, i road ride as well, and am planning on doing that ride around the lake ("america's most beautiful ride", or whatever they call it), and would LOVE to hook up w/you and ride it. The GF and I had planned to do it together, but since she blew out her ACL a few weeks ago, its not gonna happen.....so had planned to do it solo, but would be great to hook up and ride w/ya!

shoot me an email and we can make a plan to meet somewhere before the ride that morning: robhumphreysatcomcastdotnet

watersnowdirt
05-10-2004, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by lph

nice - you went from not thinking you should get one to wanting to get one in less than 30 words! woohoo! I'll support that!

lph
05-12-2004, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by watersnowdirt
nice - you went from not thinking you should get one to wanting to get one in less than 30 words! woohoo! I'll support that!

damn peer pressure! ;)