PDA

View Full Version : Any advice would be appreciated

InspectorGadget
05-01-2004, 03:05 PM
I currently ride an '03 Epic Comp (http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=5777&JServSessionIdroot=b5a8f0vxuk.j27007) that I am thrilled with; but, my broken arm will prevent me from riding my beloved Epic until mid-summer. Come August, I have the ability to purchase either of the following 2004 models at a very attractive price:

Stumpjumper FSR Pro Disk (http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=6793&JServSessionIdroot=b5a8f0vxuk.j27007)
Epic Pro (http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=6753&JServSessionIdroot=b5a8f0vxuk.j27007)

Knowing that I have access to the 2004 models, I have a friend that is hammering me to sell him my Epic Comp. I do most of my riding in and around Salt Lake. I'm not racing - or I would stay with an Epic - but I also haven't ridden the SJ FSR's and thus can't make a fair comparison. If you had your pick between these two bikes for your do-all XC ride, which would you choose and why?

Thanks in advance for your help,

IG

P.S. Yes, I have asked these questions at the mtbr site as well.

zion zig zag
05-01-2004, 03:22 PM
Stumpjumper, hands down. Disc brakes, more travel, MUCH better fork. That sid fork on the epic would be super flexy on the rocky trails around here.

hev
05-01-2004, 06:06 PM
enduro sx.

InspectorGadget
05-01-2004, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by hev
enduro sx.
http://www.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/2004/bikes/04SXFrame_d.jpg

No, no . . . . too free-ride for my taste. Maybe I should have said All Mountain rather than XC; besides, I only have the two models listed to choose from.

Thanks for playing.

mntlion
05-01-2004, 06:59 PM
FSR, epic is too XC race and rides more like a hardtail than a dully. The newer brain fox shock is way more adjustable than the first years, but still its a XC race machine and not very active.

Epic is to XC what the Enduro is to freeride ?
does that make sence?

bagtagley
05-01-2004, 07:32 PM
mntlion = smart guy

couldn't agree more. I can understand your love for the Epic, but it really is designed to be a race bike. The geometry is extremely steep, even for an XC race machine. I'd say, for your purposes, the SJ would be an excellent choice. Who knows, it might even be a step towards a full-on freeride machine :D

mntlion
05-02-2004, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by bagtagley
mntlion = smart guy

quick I have to call my mom and tell her

I am so smart

S M R T

InspectorGadget
05-02-2004, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by flykdog
Stumpjumper, hands down. Disc brakes, more travel, MUCH better fork.

Originally posted by mntlion
Epic is to XC what the Enduro is to freeride? ...does that make sense?

Originally posted by bagtagley
mntlion = smart guy
...couldn't agree more. I can understand your love for the Epic, but it really is designed to be a race bike.
As explained to me in simple terms:

Enduro = Freeride or XC

Stump = XC or race

Epic = race

Thanks for the feedback, I believe my best choice is the Stumpjumper.

White Chocolate
05-02-2004, 08:05 PM
http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=6750&JServSessionIdroot=r1npgv44u7.j27006

I would try to do a test ride on the new epic comps. the rear shock got retooled, it is lighter, and there is a 4" fork on the front, which slackens out the head angle a tad bit. mountain bike action just reviewed the 2004 s-works epic, and apparently the rear end is much more plush. definately worth an investigation

InspectorGadget
05-03-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by White Chocolate
I would try to do a test ride on the new epic comps ...

WC,

I have two concerns:

1. I may have to commit to one or the other before I'm able to test ride.

2. The Epic Comp is not one of the bikes I have to choose from.

My decision would be much more difficult if the components on both bikes were identical, rather than similar. The disk brakes - which are nice, but not critical - and better fork on the Stumpjumper are hard to ignore.

Maybe bagtagley's right, I may be inching toward a "full-on free-ride machine."

homerjay
05-03-2004, 11:18 AM
I'd throw a fox fork on an epic and call it good.

White Chocolate
05-03-2004, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by InspectorGadget
WC,

I have two concerns:

1. I may have to commit to one or the other before I'm able to test ride.

2. The Epic Comp is not one of the bikes I have to choose from.

My decision would be much more difficult if the components on both bikes were identical, rather than similar. The disk brakes - which are nice, but not critical - and better fork on the Stumpjumper are hard to ignore.

Maybe bagtagley's right, I may be inching toward a "full-on free-ride machine."

Whoops, well the same still applies for the pro :D The stumpjumper bike has also gotten awesome reviews, so i would call it a win-win situation for you. And as for the enduros, they cross country very well. Of course you will end up travelling down a road requiring a big bike very quickly ;)

flowtron
05-03-2004, 02:33 PM
Definitely the Stumpjumper. Its a much better all-around trail bike. The rear shock is super adjustable...it has lock out, pro-pedal(Fox's version of stable platform) and full open.
With pro pedal on you will still be able to climb like a monkey on an Epic, but when it comes time to go downhill a flick of the switch gives 4 inches of quality, high volume air, fully open travel. And disk brakes to stop you when you get movin.

The brain shock on the epic is cool, and redesigned a bit this year to be a bit more active, but it still is relatively harsh on first hits and eventually closes up.
Plus the new SJ frame design is dope, its more laterally rigid and lighter.

schuss
05-03-2004, 06:28 PM
stumpy or enduro. Specialized tend to be more aggressive and XC oriented, so whatever bike you get will be able to mix it up on the trail as well as most. Also, this is a Trail bike, since if you aren't racing, theres no need to punish yourself with light, stiff, harsh rides. I have a sugar thats probably not set up right, and I'm lovin' it, since its about the ride and how much you enjoy the bike, not how fast it can go.

InspectorGadget
05-05-2004, 04:53 PM
I like the answer I received from an MTBR member:

As far as choice goes I'll quote my LBS head mechanic when I asked him which bike to go with: "The only brain you need is between your ears." I vote for the stumpy unless you're racing.