PDA

View Full Version : Fork/Shock pump question *5th element*

skiergirl
04-29-2004, 03:12 PM
I have a blur with a Fox F100RLC and a 5th element on it. The 5th has already been returned 2 times for warranty issues. I'm now trying to make sure I'm not hurting my poor kid...

Can/should you use the same pump for 2 different brands of shocks? A few different shop guys have told me I can, but I just noticed that when I'm filling the IFP chamber (~90 PSI) the needle with set for a moment and then slowly creep down. I would guess I'm just not getting a seal?

Suggestions? Spring for the progressive pump also? Both the fox and progressive pumps go from 0-300 psi.

Anyone else have problems with the 5th elements (aside from the pile on mtbr.com)?

Thanks

CS
04-29-2004, 03:37 PM
Is that a 5th element air, or coil?

I've heard the air has had many problems. As for the coil, my rebound pretty much stopped working last year, but has been pretty money since I got it back.

The pump shouldn't matter, one way or the other. I would think.

LegoSkier
04-29-2004, 04:09 PM
I have never had problems with using whatever pump on my 5th element. The first pump I had was indeed a fox. After that got stolen I got a Buzzy's Pollinator. Both worked fine so I don't think its the brand.

skiergirl
04-29-2004, 06:16 PM
It's an Air. When I bought it (June) I believe the shock was pretty much blown from the get-go. Wouldn't rebound. Same thing just happened again. Luckily, I will say that progressive has been really good about fixing it, though it's cost me 6 weeks of riding it...

After much messing with it this afternoon, I've pretty much found that the progressive pump seals ok, it's my fox that won't... And it's just on that one valve.

Now I need to dig up my receipt and guilt the shop where I bought it into mailing me a free Progressive pump. Did your bikes come with them?

altagirl
04-29-2004, 09:36 PM
I think the biggest problem with the 5th air is that it's tricky to set up. It seemed easy reading the instructions, but by the time Mr.AG and I were done messing with the adjustments and screwing with everything it didn't work at all, wouldn't hold air, and was stuck in the compressed position. Luckily, I brought it in to Krispy, who figured it out, set it up for me and it's been working great since (knock on wood...) So yes, I'm retarded and evidently can't follow directions, but I've heard the vast majority that are sent in for repairs just aren't set up right.

I did need to buy a new shock pump for it - our old one seemed to leak air out too, but it's about 4 years old, so I figured it was more a matter of the pump being beat to hell getting thrown in the tool box and dragged around one too many times to hold a seal. Maybe Progressive just has a more finicky seal than other shocks.

altagirl
04-29-2004, 09:38 PM
Oh, and no my bike didn't come with a pump. (I've heard Talas forks are coming with them though.) But it's worth asking if they'll at least discount it for you if you bought the bike there...

schuss
04-29-2004, 09:44 PM
most bikes actually come with a pump, its just that a lot of shops take it out and sell it back to you. When I got my sugar I got the pump, and the owner ( a friend of ours) warned us about it, since apparently another shop did that to my dad on his FSR.

SLCFreshies
04-29-2004, 11:29 PM
I've had a Blur with a 5th for about 10 months now. I dunno if I've been one of the lucky ones, but I've had no problems with my shock so far (/knock on wood). My girlfriend has a Blur with a 5th as well. Initially, the main chamber wouldn't pump up, but fiddling around with the valve core got it to work correctly.

I got both the Fox and the Progressive pumps for "free," but I mainly use the Fox on both my fork and my shock. The reason is that I checked them both against my digital pressure gauge, and the Fox was more accurate. My Progressive pump read about 10psi high. A shock pump is a shock pump. As far as I know, you should be able to use any pump that fits well.

Anyways, I've found the 5th very finicky to set up. Just a small change in pressure (especially with the IFP) makes the shock feel dramatically different.

I don't follow SC set-up recommendations exactly. I've found the best setup for me is to run the IFP very low, and adjust the main chamber according to my weight and sag. The minimum for the IFP is 50psi, and I run it at 55. The VPP design negates a lot of the pedal bob on its own, so I don't think there's a need to set the IFP much more than the near-minimum. Setting it higher raises the threshold for activating the shock and makes the bike feel like an expensive hardtail. I weigh 130lbs, and I have the main chamber set at 85psi.

I primarily climb seated. If you do more out of saddle climbing, you'll need to set the IFP higher or you'll bob like a pogo stick.

Good luck and have fun with your Blur. I LOVE mine! :)

EDIT: If you put the shock pump on, and there's an air leak either (a) your shock is blown again :( or (b) you're not getting a good seal at the valve. Try borrowing someone else's pump and see if the same thing happens. Or screw the pump on a little tighter and see if that stops the leak. I have no leak with either the Fox or Progressive pumps.

skiergirl
04-30-2004, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the input.

After some more running around, I learned that the setup guide for the shock from the Progressive website is wrong. It suggests that the IFP pressure range is 75-125. Santa Cruz suggests 50-70.... So yeah, I'll see what happens. Hopefully I didn't just completely screw my shock up.

Altagirl, you have a fox on the front of your Yeti right? My Fox pump came with the bike (but I did have to ask). The LBS where I live now also said the forks come with them. You may want to check into getting a free pump.

altagirl
04-30-2004, 08:59 AM
We debated this on MTBR recently in the Yeti forum. Only the Talas forks come with a pump, Vanilla RL like I have doesn't - which seems consistent among those who've bought 575s at different shops. (Spend more money, get free stuff...) Plus, if the shop I bought it at sold Fox shock pumps I'd be concerned, but they only carry other brands.

CS
04-30-2004, 09:09 AM
SLC pretty much said it best. And yeah, you should have gotten a pump with the 5th element (at least, I did). And Altagirl,the Vanilla isn't an air fork, so you wouldn't need the pump.

altagirl
04-30-2004, 09:12 AM
Good point. I agree it would be nice for Progressive to include them, but they don't seem to be doing it for the 575. I don't think it's a bike shop issue.

skiergirl
04-30-2004, 09:21 AM
I see. I'm pretty much a jong on the whole free pump issue. I'll see if my sob story will work to get a free progressive one out of the shop in CA where I bought the bike.

altagirl
04-30-2004, 09:36 AM
Might as well - you've been having enough problems with the shock already. The only thing that sucks it that it should be Progressive giving you a shock pump - it's not the LBS's fault. You could always find an address for Progressive and write and complain - maybe they'd send one? I'd ask your bike shop for a contact address or something at Progressive if they don't hook you up.

Anyway, the pump I bought was not a Progressive one - I don't even remember the brand name but it's not Fox or Progressive. So others should work...