PDA

View Full Version : Hey Boulder area Mtb'ers!

homerjay
04-29-2004, 11:15 AM
What is the right direction to ride Walker?

Crinkle
04-29-2004, 12:44 PM
following reply found: 0 miles, Start your ride in a clockwise direction starting first on a singletrack ascent on Columbine Gulch Trail. 0.8 miles the trail begins it's descent towards the valley bottom. A series of switchbacks and a river crossing brings you to the end of the singletrack and you junction with the Eldorado Canyon Trail at 1.6 miles. Take a right onto a wide dirt road with lots of loose rock. You'll know you are on the right track if an old homestead that has seen better days appears on your left. Continue down the rocky dirt road.9 miles. Eldorado Canyon splits off into singletrack. Do not turn off. That trail is for hikers only. Continue down the dirt road until you reach the bridge at 2.5 miles. A very technical section follows until you finally need to dismount in order to carry a set of stairs. At 3.3 miles you will cross a sign for the Crescent Meadows Trail. This is an additional loop you can choose to take. Keep riding on the Walker Ranch Trail following singltrack until you reach the South Boulder Creek Trailhead at 4.5 miles. The singletrack continues another .2 miles and then turns into doubletrack. Descend once again to the valley bottom and cross the bridge at the 5.6 mile mark. Ride along the river for .4 miles before starting your final ascent towards the trailhead and parking area. Climb up the doubletrack until you reach the top at 7.6 miles.

check out http://www.trailcentral.com/trails/index.shtml

homerjay
04-29-2004, 12:51 PM
so, clockwise.

Crinkle
04-29-2004, 12:55 PM
yeah, you can do it either way. I have only been there once and I did it CW. No real advantage one way or the other.

hev
04-29-2004, 01:28 PM
I have always ridden it CW....stopped riding that place after too many falls in the sand. it's always washed out.

bagtagley
04-29-2004, 02:17 PM
Clockwise is better because there are technical DH sections that way. Counter-CW, the DH is pretty smooth, and then you end up having to hike the tech sections that you could be riding down.

You could go clockwise and take that side trail that puts you in Eldorado Canyon. I rode from 19th up to Walker Ranch and accidentally took that turn. By the time I made it home I was out of water and half dead...good times.

Mountain Junkie
04-30-2004, 08:49 AM
The right way is to start from Boulder and ride up Flagstaff to Walker.

Originally posted by bagtagley
You could go clockwise and take that side trail that puts you in Eldorado Canyon.

Ah, that trail is closed to bikes. Bad form.

bagtagley
04-30-2004, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by bagtagley
I rode from 19th up to Walker Ranch and ACCIDENTALLY took that turn. By the time I made it home I was out of water and half dead...good times.

Yeah, I'm such a dick :rolleyes: