PDA

View Full Version : First ride TR

dipstik
04-20-2004, 07:22 PM
I got a new bike a little more than a week ago, and I’ve been having such an awesome time on it. There is this “rail trail” in my town that is basically a flat gravel walking area that goes through the woods. Pretty boring. I had been running there before, and I recalled seeing some mountain biking trails that came off of the rail trail, so I decided this would be a perfect place to go try out my new bike. The trails that I went on would probably be considered beginner trails to most of you, but because it was my first ride on a new bike, and my first time riding with clipless pedals, it was a different story. I tried out the clipless pedals in my yard for a little bit before I left and found it to be fairly easy to clip in and out, but on the trail it proved a lot harder. I fell a few times…ok, I fell A LOT of times, but I got right back up and kept after it. Most of the times I fell were when I was stopping, because I forgot to clip out well in advance, so I kind of just slowly tipped over. Didn’t really hurt much, but it could have been a bitch had I fallen into poison ivy or something.

Probably the funniest thing that happened on my first ride was when I was climbing this steep hill and I kind of wanted to stop because I was so out of breath, but I couldn’t clip out. I knew if I stopped pedaling I would fall over onto some rocks, so my only choice was to keep pedaling like mad until I got to the top of the hill. Needless to say I felt pretty stupid, and I was completely exhausted, but it proved to me (even though I didn’t want to believe it) that I still needed more practice unclipping.

It’s been a week since I got the bike, and even though I’ve been really busy with work and school, I’ve managed to log some good trail time, and some time in my backyard. I have a bunch of roots and a few stumps in my yard and I’ve been practicing on those. I think I’m making good progress too. The stumps I thought were hard last week are now mere bumps in the path. I’ve also had my eye on this big stump (when I say big stump I mean like a foot or two tall…I have a pic but I’d be too embarrassed to post it) ever since I started looking at bikes, and after much trepidation I “sacked up” and “hit it” Friday afternoon. I don’t think I could have been more stoked after I cleared the thing, even though it turned out to be a lot easier than I thought. :D

So far I am loving this mountain bike thing. I’m having such a great time learning how it all works, even though I’m falling on my ass a lot. It’s also pretty cool to explore all these trails that I’ve never been on before, definitely a unique experience.

So far the bike itself is doing good, though I could use some better tires, and I think a riser bar is in my future. Here is a pic, I thought it would look tougher if I leaned it against some propane tanks :rolleyes: oh and don't rag me for those reflectors, I already pulled 'em off.

http://biglines.com/photos/blpic22337.jpg

Crinkle
04-20-2004, 08:03 PM
hey dipstick, glad you are stoked about the bike. Depending on the type of pedals you have, you might be able to adjust the tension release on it. On the back of the pedal there might be a Alan screw, that you can loosen/tighten. If you loosen it up, it should release easier. You shouldnt be having that much trouble getting out of the pedals. If you can't adjust, think about taking it back to the shop to ask for some help. LBS is the best place for info and help.

keep it up, you'll be killing it soon, now find some hills and start climbing.

gonzo
04-20-2004, 09:07 PM
nice bike...when you are done with the pedal adjustments, take the reflectors off. that is what the cool kids do.

CantDog
04-20-2004, 09:14 PM
Dip, sell the pedals and buy time ATACs. Trust me, best thing you can do to your bike. You'll never have entry/exit problems again.

I hope you took that picture before you rode it, because it doesnt have any mud on it. Shame on you!

dipstik
04-20-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by CantDog
I hope you took that picture before you rode it, because it doesnt have any mud on it. Shame on you!

I took a whole bunch of pics the minute I brought it home, so in that pic the bike had not seen more than a parking lot.

Crinkle: The guy at the shop adjusted my pedals pretty low, and I still was having trouble so he put them even lower. I think on that first ride the fact that I didn't know the motion/feeling of how to unclick yet was more of an issue than the release setting being too high. As of now I can click in/unclick really easily. It was just those first few rides...

flowtron
04-20-2004, 09:39 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by CantDog
[B]Dip, sell the pedals and buy time ATACs. Trust me, best thing you can do to your bike. You'll never have entry/exit problems again.

Actually with the increased float provided by ATACs compared to SPD type pedals, many people feel they are 'harder' to get out of because there is more allowable motion before the release. Newbies tend to dig on SPD type peds because its easier to feel when they are in or out.
In really muddy conditions ATACs will be a hell of a lot easier to get into though as there is nothing to pack with mud.

Crinkle
04-21-2004, 07:41 AM
if they are SPD OEM type, they are probably junk, like mine. I have backed my Tension screw out almost all the way and i still get stuck in them sometimes. I actually got hurt last week when i couldnt get out in a rocky technical section. Yesterday I broke the front clip on one side, don't know how. They are Wellgo WPD-POS i beleive. :D Good thing I ordered a pair of Candy SL's, which are coming today. Saving 150grams and a shorter stack height.

http://www.crankbrothers.com/images/products/straighton_candy_sl.jpg

homerjay
04-22-2004, 04:20 PM
Pedals need to be broken in before they function correctly. Be patient. And, don't put your foot down, that helps, too.

Take that plastic chain protector thingy off of your back wheel, while your at it.

dipstik
04-22-2004, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by homerjay
Take that plastic chain protector thingy off of your back wheel, while your at it.

what exactly is that thing for anyway?

homerjay
04-22-2004, 05:54 PM
nothing. remove it.

Jiehkevarri
04-24-2004, 02:58 PM
And reflectors JONG reflectors!!! :D

(when I bought my first real mtb and we got together on the trail start for my first "real" ride in the trails, my friend rushed to my wheels and moved the reflectors forcily with lots of violence...I still find it quite amusing that in mtb circles the reflectors seem to be one of the biggest signs of a beginner JONG, and I was totally unaware of that thing, dressed with flashy new fox racing gear and all...:))