PDA

View Full Version : Russian Mob wants my AC1

Mr. Altagirl
04-20-2004, 08:43 AM
So I'm trying to sell my AC1 on MTBR and I get an email from a grammatically impaired miner from Moscow. He is willing to buy my bike with a certified cashiers check and will arrange shipping himself. AG does some snooping on the web and finds this to be a very common fraud. I'm only bummed because I really want a new Yeti. If I could hire Tony Soprano to take care of the Russians for me, I would. Messing with a man's mountain bike is low, even for the Russians.

Crinkle
04-20-2004, 10:31 AM
how does the scam work? Fake cashiers check?

altagirl
04-20-2004, 10:35 AM
yep.

Mr. Altagirl
04-20-2004, 10:35 AM
Yeah. You deposit the check and mail the bike, 7 days later the check bounces, refused by the bank or is canceled. I figure I could ask for the check and just wait for it to clear but I'm not really into having my address, phone#, etc. going to someone who may do the wrong thing with that kind of information (not that they can't get it anyway). AG found all kinds of info on the fraud, kinda scary dealing with people on the internet......

Big E
04-20-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Altagirl
kinda scary dealing with people on the internet......

Yeah, no kidding, there's a couple places on the web populated by all these nutcase skier-types. Bad news, man, bad news.

Crinkle
04-20-2004, 11:15 AM
yeah i hear ya Mr. AG. The world is a shady, the internet is even worse. At least you caught it.

InspectorGadget
04-20-2004, 11:19 AM
I recently sent the following response to a couple of these low-lifes:

Dear Scott,

No offense, but your interest smacks of the fraud alerts pasted below:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**Fraud Alert!!** {overseas (Africa) funds transfers}

We have been receiving more and more complaints of people who are trying to scam sellers on our site. This scam (in various forms) has a common theme of transferring funds involving a party from a foreign country, usually somewhere in Africa. The US Secret Service has an article on their site, going into greater detail on this scam.

We have taken a steps to minimize this, but unfortunately this is a case of the few spoiling things for the many. We want to alert you to this scam and warn you NOT to take part in it. Always be as careful and as sure about online deals as you can. Find out as much info about the potential buyers that you can. Like the old saying goes, "If it sounds too good to be true, then it probably is."

Below are excerpts from emails that have been forwarded to us, outlining the scammers pitch.

Link to US Secret Service site/article: Advance Fee Fraud

Examples of Fraud:

DEAR SIR

I AM A BUSINESS MAN AND I AM IN CONJUCTION IN SELLING USED BIKES TO CUSTOMERS IN WEST AFRICA, BUT RIGHT NOW I HAVE A CUSTOMER WHO IS READY TO PURCHASE YOUR BIKE.AND I WANT YOU TO KNOW THAT I WILL BE PAYING YOU WITH U.S.A CASHIER CHECK SO GETS BACK TO ME IMMEDIATELY WITH YOUR LAST NEGOTIATABLE PRICE FOR THE BIKE. HOPE TO SEE YOUR REPLY SOONEST.

THANKS,

JAMES *******................

===================

GOOD DAY,

THANKS FOR YOUR MAIL,I WOULD LIKE TO BUY THIS BYCYCLE,BUT THERE IS SOME THING I WILL LIKE YOU TO KNOW FIRST. MY CLIENT IS OWEING ME $7,000. AND I HAVE MAIL MY CLIENT ABOUT THIS BICYCLE AND HE TOLD ME THAT WE SHOULD BOTH AGREE AFTER OUR AGREEMENT THAT HE WILL SEND YOU THE CHEQUE OF $7000 SO I WILL WANT YOU TO HELP ME SEND THE REMAING BALANCES OF THE MONEY THROUGH WESTERN UNOIN MONEY TRANSFER, AND FOR THE BICYCLE AFTER OUR AGREEMENT I WILL SEND MY SHIPPING AGENT TO YOUR HOUSE TO PICK UP THE BICYCLE. IF THIS IS OK WITH YOU PLS REPLY WITH YOUR FULL NAME AND ADDRESS AND PHONE NUMBER SO THAT I WILL FORWARD TO MY CLIENT. I'LL LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR REPLY.

REGARDS.

DAVID

DEAR SIR, I AM A BUSINESS MAN AND I AM IN CONJUCTION IN SELLING USDEAR SIR, I AM A BUSINESS MAN AND I AM IN CONJUCTION IN SELLING USED BIKES TO CUSTOMERS IN WEST AFRICA, BUT RIGHT NOW I HAVE A CUSTOMER WHO IS READY TO PURCHASE YOUR BIKE.AND I WANT YOU TO KNOW THAT I WILL BE PAYING YOU WITH U.S.A CASHIER CHECK SO GETS BACK TO ME IMMEDIATELY WITH YOUR LAST NEGOTIATABLE PRICE FOR THE BIKE. HOPE TO SEE YOUR REPLY SOONEST. THANKS,

PAUL ABRAHAM...............................

DEAR SIR,

I AM A BUSINESS MAN AND I AM IN CONJUCTION IN SELLING USDEAR SIR, I AM A BUSINESS MAN AND I AM IN CONJUCTION IN SELLING USED BIKES TO CUSTOMERS IN WEST AFRICA, BUT RIGHT NOW I HAVE A CUSTOMER WHO IS READY TO PURCHASE YOUR BIKE.AND I WANT YOU TO KNOW THAT I WILL BE PAYING YOU WITH U.S.A CASHIER CHECK SO GETS BACK TO ME IMMEDIATELY WITH YOUR LAST NEGOTIATABLE PRICE FOR THE BIKE. HOPE TO SEE YOUR REPLY SOONEST.

THANKS,

JAMES CLINTON...............................

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I see the color of your money, I may be interested in dealing with you. Until then, thanks, but no thanks.

----- Original Message -----
To: inspector-gadget
Subject: 2003 Specialized S-Works HT Frameset - Chris King/XTR $850

hello
i am scott harris from namibia i deal with bikes and automobiles,while i was surfing on the internet i came across your advert on your 2003 Specialized S-Works HT Frameset - Chris King/XTR, for sale and i really am very interested which i want to give my son as present so i want you to get back with your last offering price with pics and tell me if it is still for sale interms of shipping i ve an international shipper that will come for pickup but right now is in london for a diplomatic tour so please get back to me ASAP.
KIND REGARDS...........
scott..........

Beaver
04-20-2004, 12:17 PM
Ya it's scary buy stuff on the interweb. I bought some skis from this guy one time who posted on a ski site. He called himeself a maggot or something like that. He seemed pretty shady but I sent him the money anyways. From the time I sent the cheque to the time I got the skis I had to wait at least 5-6 days. It was right before Christmas and the guy was good enough to mail them before he had my cheque. Thanks again Inspector Gadget. How's the wrist?

InspectorGadget
04-20-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Beaver
Thanks again Inspector Gadget. How's the wrist?

Maybe I'm just a panty-waist bed-wetter, but it hurts. Thank you for asking.

Have you drilled the G40's yet?
Where'd you put your new Volkl sticky?

Thanks, again, for both of your ski purchases.