PDA

View Full Version : biking near chicago

gonzo
04-19-2004, 09:14 PM
any? at all? bueller?

only nice weather for a week and i am already ready to beat down the next douche cranking as hard as he can laid out on his aero bars weaving through pedestrian traffic on the bike path.

i saw two dudes drafting eachother on the bike path the other day. both laid out on aero bars. they must be getting ready for the time trial. :rolleyes:

powpowpowderwheels
04-19-2004, 09:33 PM
what kind of biking and where in chicago?

how far you wanna drive?

Dromond
04-19-2004, 10:19 PM
When life gives you lemons.....

Get a BMX! I hear they have good street riding and possibly good parks there :D

Shredhead
04-20-2004, 10:58 AM
Gonzo:

If you are going to ride the lakefront, get out real early and its not too bad.

Kettle Morain is the best if you don't mind driving.

I ride every day out in the western suburbs if you ever get the jones to ride with someone.

I had a New Years party this year in Aspen and Karl Stall was talking to a mutual friend of ours. Braidy Cobb, Florida surfer dude, law student and former Vail boarder.

gonzo
04-20-2004, 03:38 PM
thanks dudes. i think i am going to have to grin and bear it on the lake for the next two months till it's back to bean town. i never really appreciated topography to the extent i do now - now that i am surrounded by pure, unbroken flatness as far as you can see...

rode to school this AM from wrigley...now it is pouring. hmmm.

didn't even bring my mountain bike out last fall - might have to bring it next to hit the spots tap and shredhead speak of...

shredhead - don't know your buddy...although i too am a law student and former vail boarder. surfer dude from MA though, if that is possible...i will defintely take you up on some rides next fall when i have more time to be mobile...

Magoo
04-20-2004, 06:40 PM
For mountain biking, if ya got a weekend, go to Marquette, MI (about 6.5 hours from Chicago). Definately some of the best in the midwest! I can get you some info if you head up there.

Big Hit77
04-20-2004, 10:12 PM
If you are into anything reall hardcore, Jumping, Dual slalom, North shore type stuff, check out challenge park. It's in Joliet, and the place is sick. They have an enormous amount of ladders and drops, and also sorts of other silly stuff. I think there is also some cross country stuff there too, but it's not as well maintained. Check out teamsally.com. They are the guys that do all the building there and there are some pretty silly pictures, especially for the midwest!

truth
04-21-2004, 09:44 AM
Gonzo

From where you are there is nothing for roadies other than the lakefront trail. There is a nice network of trails in Lake County as well. Ride early or late on the lake.

There is some decent MTB in Palos...do a web search.

Grange
04-21-2004, 02:06 PM
La Crosse, WI, which is about 4 hours at normal speeds from Chicago has some of the best single tracks around. And the legal trails are maintained by the local bike club. If poaching is your thing there are plenty of choices as well. In my opinion they are better than Kettle Moraine partly because of the technical aspects but mostly because of the crowds.