PDA

View Full Version : Wheee, first over the bars of the year

schuss
04-19-2004, 08:38 PM
Doing a local trail here, got a bit too hot goin into a section littered with deadfall trees. Depressured the front to roll right over the tree but what's this? a branch in the spokes from the tree? Man down. Didn't really hurt, just sliced up the back of my calves a little bit. My roommate who was right behind me assures me that it was quite hilarious. I got my karmic revenge though, as he did a low speed lowside after he braked for a hill and couldn't figure out how to turn it. :D Bikes are too much fun.

Theodore
04-19-2004, 09:32 PM
Good stuff. I did mine a few weeks ago, thick mud clogged my front wheel, then it started sliding on really slick mud... right into a big rock. I launched pretty well, finally stopped about 10 feet from my bike. My fav endo was during a race when I was 15 or so. Locked up the front going down a creek bank, hurdled the handle bars and thought I got away with it. Then my bike tackled me from behind and into the creek I went. Fun thing to do as lond as you don't dislocate a shoulder or snap a collarbone....knock on wood.....

Ted

edg
04-20-2004, 03:10 AM
Haven't been over the bars yet, but the thorns in the trails near me are a bitch. My right leg has 32 throrn-caused scratches on the front to add to the chain ring marks I got from a crash two year ago. Things not good.

Then to add to my sheer pissed-offness I got a (what I can only guess is a) thorn puncture in my back tyre. And rather than being a slow one to let me get home before it had gone down the thorn must've come out too, so I had to walk home.

THEN! When I had replaced the inner and put the type back in I managed to misalign my breaks, so I rode off out the next day with my back tyre dragging. So, back home, realign the break (I think I broke a sping, but they're working now).

Yup, bikes are too much fun :P

edg

schuss
04-20-2004, 05:22 AM
my fave was going 30 MPH or so burning down some smooth doubletrack into a loose granular downhill. We're talking no grip at all here. Front wheel washed sideways and over I went. I ended up splitting my helmet, blacking out for 20 seconds, snapping both my bar ends and getting some mean roadrash on my arms and legs. The worst part was I had to ride 12 miles more to get back to the car after that.

edg
04-20-2004, 02:11 PM
Meh, yet another pesky thorn :( This time front-tyre, fortunatley. Unfortunatley though it's been raining quite a bit the last few days - but was sunny today - so I went out for a ride. After a bit of mud surfing, I was going for one last loop and my rig felt slow, so I looked down at the front tyre and my heart sank. It was almost flat. Walked home and replaced the tube - I hate spring, this is getting expensive :p

edg

Theodore
04-20-2004, 04:36 PM
shit man, thats alot of thorns. Have you tried any sort of tire liner or sealant? I have tubeless on mine and while it doesn't really help prevent em, its really easy to fix. Clean the hole, put a drop of superglue in it and let it dry, air it up and ride til the next thorn comes along.

edg
04-20-2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Theodore
shit man, thats alot of thorns. Have you tried any sort of tire liner or sealant? I have tubeless on mine and while it doesn't really help prevent em, its really easy to fix. Clean the hole, put a drop of superglue in it and let it dry, air it up and ride til the next thorn comes along.
Yeah, some shithead with a weed wacker has managed to spread all kind of foliage on the track - thorns, holly, those little spikey ball things - which really pisses me off. To add to my fraustration they filled a tree-fall hole ('bomb-hole'?, where the roots used to be) with holly bush trimmings. Not a month before I had lovingly cleared the crap out of it to add a bit of spice to the run. Fkn' retards. What I need is a good sized batch of Agent Orange.

:mad:

edg

schuss
04-20-2004, 04:57 PM
I've always heard lots of good things about Slime.

CantDog
04-20-2004, 05:37 PM
I've gotten to the point that I go over the handlebars so much, that I can usually go over the handlebars and land on my feet, and run with the fall...at least for a few feet.

and i cleaned out my pm box schuss, send it again