PDA

View Full Version : Hey CS

bagtagley
04-17-2004, 06:20 PM
Think I figured out the problem with the 888. I suspected that the sounds I was hearing were due to low oil. Well, I took the bike out for what was basically a cross country ride yesterday, and I noticed oil on the legs. Cut to today, I was riding our freeride trail and bottomed out pretty hard on the first drop. Needless to say I was shocked/pissed. So, I cranked up the compression and continued my ride. When I got to the bottom, I noticed oil all over the bottom part of the lowers...again. It occured to me that I had seen this before when I had the bike in the stand a few weeks ago, but I ignored it figuring it was just spilled on the fork during the build.

I was baffled because the oil looked like it had come out of the bottom bolts and leaked UP the fork. So, I wiped the fork clean and took off the front wheel so that I could try and find the source of the leak. As I compressed the fork I noticed a small amount of oil just appear on the leg of the slide. Then it dawned on me, the lower was cracked. Not enough that you could see it, but enough that it leaks oil. Even better, the other side does the same thing, only in a different spot on the leg. We're talking tiny hairline fractures here, something that would have gone unnoticed if it weren't for the oil seeping out of them.

Needless to say, I had the bike at the shop an hour later. It's getting shipped out on Monday hopefully. I'm interested to see what Marzocchi's take is on this. I haven't seen any other mention of this issue, so hopefully I'm the only one.

CS
04-19-2004, 08:52 AM
Hmmm, that sucks man. Now you've got me all paranoid and checking the lowers on my fork. I'm wondering if your lowers just came from a defective batch or somthing like that. Definately fill us in on what Marzocchi does. And I'll be keeping an eye on my fork.

bagtagley
04-19-2004, 09:48 PM
Sorry, wasn't trying to make you doubt your fork. I wouldn't worry about it, I think it's just a fluke. I'll keep you updated though.

CS
04-29-2004, 02:43 PM
Bump, because I'm curious to hear whatever happened with the fork, and because I just wanted to say, after riding for 3 days in Moab, that the 888 is one of the sweetest forks I've ever ridden. That thing tracks like no other and is so damn stiff, plush, and just plain fun.

Let us know what happened bagtagley.

bagtagley
04-29-2004, 08:34 PM
I should just keep my mouth shut so as not to jinx myself.....But, I called today, they're supposedly shipping it out tomorrow or monday. So, with any luck I'll have it by next Friday.

I haven't heard anything as far as what caused it or if they've seen it before (like they'd tell me anyway). I'll let you know what I find out though.