PDA

View Full Version : Utards::MTB Loop?

powderhound
04-16-2004, 12:08 PM
Moved to SLC in July and am looking for a good 10-20 mile mtb loop that I can ride to. Lived in North End Boise previously where there were a dozen trails within riding distance from house. Now the closest thing is the trail at the mouth of the LCC, but the out and back bores me plus about 5 mi. road to get there for about 3-4 mi. trail. Mill Creek(Dog Lake Trail) is fun but a drive(driving to ride blows), plus the steepness of trails taxes the lungs and also a out and back. Does the BCC have a trail at it's mouth(less road for me)? Where are some good loops? Will relocate for good loop, but would like to stay 20 minutes from skiing. Can you have the best of both worlds here?

UTdave
04-16-2004, 02:03 PM
look here (www.utahmountainbiking.com)
edit: there are lots of good trails but unfortunately few of the lower elevation trails are near you. Oh and if you think Dog Lake is steep you're a pansy :p If you want a tough climb followed by a steep technical descent try Mill D North Fork about 2/3 up BCC. Another favorite is the Wasatch Crest Trail. You'll find the best trails here either involve a decent ride or a drive to get to. On a side note where do you live? I'm moving to a place on Fort Union in about a week.

powderhound
04-16-2004, 06:03 PM
yeah, i've printed a novel off the utahmtbiking page, kinda figured that might be the biking bible for around here. Plan on doing more of the Mill Creek trails and the Wasatch Crest. Also some trails up by the Avenues I want to check out. Yes i was/am a "pansy", but i'm getting aclimated.;) As my "location" suggests, I live in a hugantic apartment complex off of Bengal Blvd, right by Brighton High School.

Mr. Altagirl
04-16-2004, 08:05 PM
Park City / Deer Valley has some great loop rides but you have to drive up there if you are living down here. The Crest trail to Big Water to Pipeline is a great ride but is a shuttle for sure (plus we have to wait for the snow to melt). Jacob's ladder in Draper can be fun and is dry already.

Two things I don't like about living in Salt Lake City: no dogs anywhere and you have to drive to good biking (or battle the retards on the roads). I moved here from Northern Italy four years ago and really miss riding out of my garage. I sold my road bike after about 4 rides, it just isn't cool here.

But...... Moab, Fruita, Boise, Brian Head, Virgin, Deer Valley, Bootleg Canyon, Durango, Silverton are only hours away (and I just scratched the surface). You moved from a true mountain bike Mecca, I just rode Hull's Gulch on Tuesday night so I know what you are missing. We bought a hell of a bike rack for our truck; we typically have a trail bike and a downhill rig for each of us on the truck all summer, just in case. I think to enjoy biking in this area, you either have to have a good rack or live in Park City if you don't want to drive.

powderhound
04-16-2004, 08:40 PM
what SLC lacks in mt. biking it makes up for in skiing, Boise is just the other way around. I'll have to look into the Draper trail, looks more like the foothills that i'm used to down there. Riding out of the garage is truely a luxury that I am missing. Thanks for the insight.

UTdave
04-16-2004, 10:07 PM
also lookhere (www.singletracktreks.com)

powderhound
04-16-2004, 10:24 PM
^^^that one is new to me, thanks

InspectorGadget
04-17-2004, 01:20 AM
The snow needs to melt and it's definitely a shuttle ride, but:

Start at the Spiro trailhead in PC
Climb to the mid-mountain/8000' trail and follow it to The Canyons
Optional lunch stop - Red Pine Cafe at the top of the gondola is excellent
Climb to the top and past the Super Condor chair
Follow the single track to the upper Big Water trail (lower Wasatch Crest)
If you haven't had your fill of dirt yet, take Pipeline - rather than riding pavement down Mill Creek Canyon
Ride to the bottom of the canyon and go collect your other car in PC

With plenty of ups, downs and miles, it makes for an excellent day of riding. :D

Particle
04-17-2004, 02:04 PM
You kooks living out in the Utard 'burbs are *slightly* closer to skiing than me, but I gotta say there's nothing like being able to ride straight from my front door 2 easy miles to the trailhead and be on as many miles of singletrack as I want. Living downtown's where it's at for biking. (I'm just a couple blocks down from the UofU stadium). Sooo nice to get home from work at 6-6:30, not have to drive anywhere, and just hop on some sweet trails :D

And it's still less than 30 minutes to Alta from here. Hah.

edit: fyi those trails are Dry Creek, Shoreline, Bobsled, City Creek, etc.

InspectorGadget
04-18-2004, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Particle
fyi those trails are Dry Creek, Shoreline, Bobsled, City Creek, etc.

And we kooky burb-tards ride those trails too. :p

powderboy
04-22-2004, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by InspectorGadget
The snow needs to melt and it's definitely a shuttle ride, but:

Start at the Spiro trailhead in PC
Climb to the mid-mountain/8000' trail and follow it to The Canyons
Optional lunch stop - Red Pine Cafe at the top of the gondola is excellent
Climb to the top and past the Super Condor chair
Follow the single track to the upper Big Water trail (lower Wasatch Crest)
If you haven't had your fill of dirt yet, take Pipeline - rather than riding pavement down Mill Creek Canyon
Ride to the bottom of the canyon and go collect your other car in PC

With plenty of ups, downs and miles, it makes for an excellent day of riding. :D That actually sounds like a sweet ride! I know that powstash trail runs on the 8000 ft. trail all summer long. He's been telling me to hit it on bikes, but I've been waiting for it to settle a little more before riding it. I think this year will be the year to hit it.

I can't wait until American Fork Canyon thaws out... nothing beats that out my backyard.

altagirl
04-22-2004, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by powderboy
That actually sounds like a sweet ride! I know that powstash trail runs on the 8000 ft. trail all summer long. He's been telling me to hit it on bikes, but I've been waiting for it to settle a little more before riding it. I think this year will be the year to hit it.

I can't wait until American Fork Canyon thaws out... nothing beats that out my backyard.

We rode the 8000' trail right when they first opened it - and then had the same thought - we'll go back when it's settled more. It was okay then, and it'll be sweet once it's fully broken in.

InspectorGadget
04-22-2004, 08:52 AM
I first rode the 8000' trail on my hard-tail and thought I was going to spit my molars out. I was spent by the time I got to Red Pine Cafe - good thing I had to go collect my kids. By the end of last season - late September - it had settled some and was about a thousand times more fun on my full suspension. It should be quite a bit nicer this summer.

Come-on bones, heal faster . . . .

powderboy
04-22-2004, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by altagirl
We rode the 8000' trail right when they first opened it - and then had the same thought - we'll go back when it's settled more. It was okay then, and it'll be sweet once it's fully broken in. That's funny... I like the way you and Mr. Altagirl think, but most of all, I'm glad you were the guinea pigs. I'm sure the trail will be sweet this season.