We use this gear review to tell you about cool stuff we have learned over the years about gear, travel, and other cool stuff. Here is a travel safety program we dig. TGR has been on the Medjet program for the last 8 years. For anyone who travels the globe and pushes their limits, this is a great program to be a part of in case something goes wrong. We have been lucky so far and never needed to use the service, but it can save 10's of thousands of dollars if something did happen. For a few hundred dollars a year or less than a $100 dollars per trip, you will have a piece of mind.
Here are some details:
As a member, if you are ever hospitalized 150 miles or more away from home, MedjetAssist will arrange for medical transfer to the hospital of your choice — at no additional charge. No transportation cost limitations. No pre-existing condition exclusions.
• MedjetAssist is on hand, in consultation with the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, to communicate with attending physicians caring for members anywhere in the world (through translators, if necessary).
• If physically able to fly commercial, members always fly first class, accompanied by medical personnel; if commercial air travel is not medically tenable, members are evacuated by fully medically equipped private jet.
• Members hospitalized more than 150 miles from home choose the medical facility to which they wish to be airlifted.
• Annual membership fees start at $250 per individual and $385 per family (up to 7 members, including spouse, domestic partner and/or dependent children).
• Short Term Memberships start at $95 for individual trips.
Do you need it? No. But if something happened you would be stoked you had it.
Here is their video overview.