Ice mountain TR 5/19/07

Andy and I meet at the MC shiznit in idaho springs at 1 in the morning, with the hopes of getting on the frige on Ice. Andy had been to winfield before but besides that we didn't exactly know where we were going as I had never been before. Turns out I don't use maps or guidebooks regularly and I go off of memory, and I didn't really know how to get to the TH. Andy didn't know either so we took a risk and went up this 4wd road hoping that it was correct. We drove and drove, and realized that if this wasn't the right road we were losing alot of time. Finally we reached the end of the road and there was a sign that said it went to huron which both of us knew was close to where we wanted to be. As usual I am all fired up and I take off, before andy is ready to get a head start. I knew we had to cross a creek not long into the journey so I followed the trail that seemed to go to the creek and I crossed the creek. I hear andy calling me as I put my boots on and eventually I see him coming down through the woods in a totally different place. oh no......

I guess I was going the wrong way (not really) and andy thought we were supposed to be on the huron trail. I would like to mention there in not one F'in sign that says the three apostles trail untill you are way up in the valley (which we found on the way out). So we get up on the huron trail and climb and climb..... What the hell? I thought it was supposed to be easy with hardly any elevation gain at the start..... What about the pictures I saw of people in a flat willow valley? hu...... eventually we got to the snow and started to post hole badly so we got off the trail and started to traverse in the direction of the Three Apostles. Eventually we come around the corner and get a view of the Apostles and realize we are F*(KED, We had crossed one major drainage already and this is what we were in for:

notice alll the drainages that must be crossed to drop into the right one. GREAT! I suggest going down into the valley but andy thought that would suck so we continue traversing.
    Here is some more pics of the surrounding before we continued traversing.

Across the valley:

The 3 apostles zoomed in:

and another line that looked nice:

So as we traverse it seems there are endless obsticles such as snow drifts that must be post holed, a boulderfield that was over 100 yards, deep steep drainages, tons of dead fall, and water. Eventually we had to cross the big creek and I saw a tree that spanned the creek and climbed up the hill on the other side which was way snow covered(the hill on the other side that is). So I went for it, pack on and all.... I made it fine all the way up the hill on the other side and everything. That was great cause climbing that hill would have been a nightmare.

FUN!:

Andy went next and lost his helmate in the creek so once I got my snowshoes on I look back down at the creek to see andy franticly searching for something, luckily he found it.

So we continue on and andy tells me to get a head start cause he is going to be much faster then me on his skins so I start off. This part of the journey is what wasted me, we had to climb out of this drainage and upto a ridge and cross into the next drainage after getting to tree line on the ridge. I was in hell, my snowshoes were helping I would say less then 50% of the time, even when following andys track. Energy was flying out the window and I was getting tired. Once we crossed the next drainage we had to climb one more ridge before dropping into the drainage we wanted. Luckily we were out of the trees, but it was still hard going. Andy put on his crampons and sank to his waist several times. I continued on my snowshoes and lead the way but I was so much more tired then andy that I was holding him up. To make things worse we had waisted time and I coulden't just stop and take a break or eat. We reached the valley that we needed and were about 1/3 to 1/2 way up it at about 10:30 I think, we left the car around 3:30-4. Not to mention we were batteling the whole time. I was feeling wasted and was having some concerns of weather I should go for it or not because we could see the clouds building and andy was about 1000 feet ahead of me and getting further away everytime I needed to rest.
    Andy out in front of me making the assult:

A senic pic:

I just kept forcing myself to do a section at a time and before I knew it I was about 100 feet up the apron of the fridge, and andy was at the crux steep roll section. We had some dialog and decided I was going to stay put and take pics. I was thinking in the back of my mind maybe once he comes down I will go up...... But I was spent. Plus when he came down he said it wasn't that great cause stuff was moving decently up top and that his legs were shot and he coulden't really ski it the way he wanted anyway. Considering that I didn't want to risk it and fall down this thing cause my legs were shot and the clouds were still moving in but slowly. So I just rode down the apron from where I was (just below the choke).

Andy Ripping the fridge up:

Me tired as hell riding the apron:

as you could tell I had to go out lookers right to get the creamy corn.

On the way out we decided to ski the couloir that is the main drainage of the basin, so atleast for me it wasn't all a loss. I got to go first and it was pretty fun despite the inconsistent snow. I didn't get to ride it exactly like I wanted to cause it wasn't safe so I just made due with minimal side slipping.

A few shots, maybe more to come:

Andy went next and had some issues that made for an interesting view for me, luckily he was alright, if he wants to tell you about it he will and if he allows I will post a few pics of it.

We continued out as the storm moved in and it started graupeling. We decided we didn't have time to stop so we kept going, but it was really harsh as we had no trail and were bushwacking it again just like on the way in. We both struggled miserably for what seemed hours in the snowy drainage exiting into the main valley, completely soaked and nieve I thought I saw a "house" so we went down by the river, to find nothing but more misery. I just decided my boots were as soaked as they can get so I am just going to run across at a shallow spot, in hopes of less snow on the other side. not the case still pleanty of snow to go around. Andy suggests to climb up the side and I say why not so up we go. Up on the edge of the hill I found areas where there was alot of dry patches that could be linked with minimal snow crossing. Meanwhile andy was back in the woods roughing it so I called out to him. He jumped on the bandwagon and started taking my path, which was really a savior because we were both dieing. He told me he had been up for 72 hours and that he had skiied 13 of the last 16 days, and I thought it was getting late so for a while I was really paniced. This could have been a really bad sittuation and I had to keep reminding myself of that while fighting fatigue constantly untill we got out of the snow and across a couple small creeks and down into the flat easy regular approach in the willow filled valley. From there it was a cake walk and we both cruised back to the car with what seemed like no effort.
    Last edited by forum8fox; 05-21-2007 at 06:42 PM. Reason: needed to add more pics!

I have some more pics I will add later of andy in the lower couloir.

Andy got some shots of me that he will hopefully post up, if not hopefully he will send them to me to post up later.

Bump due to updated pics.

Good stuff Mang, keep it coming!
    Have fun or get hurt bad. "MFT" A.K.A. Dr. Doom

There are but three true sports--bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. "Ernest Hemingway"

Glad you guys made it out alright.
    Next time bring a map, please.

Quote Originally Posted by forum8fox View Post
    He told me he had been up for 72 hours and that he had skiied 13 of the last 16 days, and I thought it was getting late so for a while I was really paniced.
    Man, is Andy training for the Iron man or something, or just running on crack?
    72hours.... there is no way I could have made this. I need my sleep.

I updated the pics in the main thread but it was too many words so I will post the rest here.

Here are some pics of andy in the lower couloir:

I would agree that Andy was crazy, I was operating on only 3 hours of sleep after a long friday at work, that sure helped with my rising energy levels. Also I don't know when I will be going back in there, it will deffinately be a while. Maybe next year I guess, we will see.

sorry about the pics that are incorrectly exposed, I just realized I wasn't shooting on auto mode like I thought I was and I didn't adjust the ISO or shutter speed.

Not alot of comments so far, any advice for a future trip besides the obvious like not going on the huron trail? how is route finding once you leave the willow valley taking the correct approach? when is the best time to go back there etc?

This will be my last bump for this thread, unless I get more pics.

Nice adventure!

Bonus points for tight lines with huge pack too.
    so many mountains...so little time

www.splitboard.com