Dodge's Drop Mount Washington NH

March 18-21 2007

Our trip started out on the night of monday the 19th going up to Hermits Lake on Mount Washington. My friend Brian and I started up the mountain latenight towing a sled.

At some point, it started to snow, putting us in a good mood.

hitting the sack late, 2am or so, we ended up taking the next day and just hanging out around Hermit Lake, besides, with this first pic, we weren't going far, so we skinned around. The wind was high, around 100 mph gusts, 50 sustained.

Got up around 7 the next morning, ate a hot breakfast and off we went to climb Dodges Drop after talking with the care taker and the Forest Service Ranger for some Beta on the conditions. Bluebird day, no wind and 30 degrees.

This pic has a red line for our route

Here is the top of the climb, heading down Boot Spur trail, we then bailed down the link trail to Hermit Lake and then out that day.

As you can see from the pics, skiing wasn't really the reason to get into the mountains, but, Koflacks DO work with Fritschi Freeride bindings. I wouldn't try skiing anything real aggressive. I have a hard time getting them to edge. (the boots are fitted for comfort and warmth, not tight ski boot fit) Plus with floppy ankle support, you don't get great control, but they tour much better then my Adrenalin's.
    Last edited by danhikeski; 03-25-2007 at 09:31 PM.

Soooo, was it Dodge's that you skied, if so paging sickbird immediately, if not way to still get up in the NE Hi-Alpine.

Edit: Ha, silly me, no skies on the packs. Way to go all the same.
    Last edited by twodogs; 03-25-2007 at 09:44 PM.

You hiked up but no ski? Did it seem skiable it looks good in the pics. Any ice dams? Good work.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Love that area. It's been along time for me, but I do miss it!
    Have fun or get hurt bad. "MFT" A.K.A. Dr. Doom

There are but three true sports--bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. "Ernest Hemingway"

Way to hit it...

I grew up 8 miles from there, in tiny little GORHAM...used to hit tucks and that area every spring. Thanks for the memories....

good stuff! will be doing Hillman's when it warms up a bit, a few weeks.

tuckerman, there was one ice dam pretty high up, but very short, maybe 10 feet of it. other than that, and letting the snow melt a little more to soften up, it would be skiable. Like I said, I won't ski anything steep, let alone this, with Koflacks on. I would of def. considered it if I had my AT boots.

Where are your skis????
    Nice pics and report none-the-less, kind of alot of work for no turns when there is so much up there at this point.
    Going up April 21, not sure there will be much left.