TR Stevens Pass - Warm and Wet (2/15/07)

The forecast 3-7 inches (depending on who you believed) never materialized, but we figured we'd pop up just for fun. Good thing the company was good! It was warm and raining. The snow was manky, sloppy, sticky. Very catchy. Got in a few decent off-piste turns - about 3 - but they were hardly worth it. Mostly we just played on easy frontside groomers. We crossed paths with maybe 8 or 10 people total on the mountain. Lots more hiding in the lodge. Too bad we didn't bring 'toons -- if nothing else, they would have been an interesting experiment. If they floated enough, they might have made the off piste stuff more fun. That is the stuff off-piste that would have made sense...

It was wet...

There were a whole bunch of these:

Prolly 'cause there was a bunch of this inbounds:

Cloudpeak zipping along in the distance

I have no idea if any of it released naturally vs being bombed. But things were definitely primed to run...

that would probably explain why alpental closed the cascade traverse last night. I could see why they might want to..with all that wet moisture coming into the slide paths above.

last night was wet. but fun. Was hoping to hear that Stevens kept the rain away, but..well. Still looks fun, in a wet galoshy kind of way

Hopefully this rain percolates through.

Useful TR. Thanks.

I don't understand that other post with people getting amp'ed for PNW skiing this weekend. I don't see where it will be any good other than at 10,000 ft on Rainier.

Mmmmmm warm & wet. I like it warm and wet.
    Just like doin' the dishes.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

I've never heard skiing being compared to doing the dishes. Maybe to mashed potatoes or butter. But never the worst part of the meal, doing the dishes.

Pineapples SUCK!!!! I never want to see skiing compared to a pineapple.

someone needs to start a PNW anti-jinx thread

jinx

you just did

Don't you guys know that anti jinxes don't work.

Besides, this is gonna pan out to be a lot better by mid next week when the snow levels drop back down again and the moisture starts comin from some other place than Hawaii.

I can't believe someone beat me to the "warm and wet" comment...bastard. Anywho tell Stevens I said hello, I really miss that place
    If it's green, smoke it...if it's pink, poke it

BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797

i can't believe that another maggot was up there. that fucking sucked wet ass! i just wanted to ski wildcats but double D was closed.
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

Quote Originally Posted by extreeski View Post
    Don't you guys know that anti jinxes don't work.

Besides, this is gonna pan out to be a lot better by mid next week when the snow levels drop back down again and the moisture starts comin from some other place than Hawaii.
    They don't work b/c of posts like that. You're killing us.

Definitely lots of snow being washed away, the rivers and creeks just started raging this afternoon.

I'm thinking Steven's on Monday....slight chance of snow??

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Christmas View Post
    Useful TR. Thanks.

I don't understand that other post with people getting amp'ed for PNW skiing this weekend. I don't see where it will be any good other than at 10,000 ft on Rainier.
    I reserved a house up near Glacier months ago figuring mid Feb. would be primetime. Usually is. Looks like spring conditions Saturday and Sunday though so it could be worse. Could be heavy rain yesterday & today followed by dropping freezing levels and clearing, turning everything to ice.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

Wow, stoked that some of you guys braved the conditions this week. All will be well soon, all will be well. Don't forget that Whistler is still part of PNW - they've been getting some modest snow over the past week (I actually scored a decent pow day there on Monday).

House work and taxes may be the call for this weekend - except for maybe Monday????

Next week is looking good so far.
    Ohhhh, man I wish I could go back in time. I'd take state.

Its going to be great! The snow should be spring like, with new snow on the way next week!

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Christmas View Post
    Useful TR. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw_Willie View Post
    I reserved a house up near Glacier months ago figuring mid Feb. would be primetime. Usually is. Looks like spring conditions Saturday and Sunday though so it could be worse. Could be heavy rain yesterday & today followed by dropping freezing levels and clearing, turning everything to ice.
    Totally! Thank god its not going to get cold right away.

Whistler--Monday

I salute your spirit for sloppin' it today...I haven't donnned the Hefty Parka in a loooong time.

Whistler is still part of PNW - they've been getting some modest snow over the past week (I actually scored a decent pow day there on Monday).

House work and taxes may be the call for this weekend - except for maybe Monday????
    WB temps stayed below 30*F all day above Pig Alley.
    Looking up (at this point) for more precip and dropping temps.

Yep Yep.
    WB on Monday.
    Enjoy Every Sandwich - Warren Zevon

So, anyone make it out to the Cascades today, after the rain? Is it all ruined? If so how much newness is needed before it's worth while? Inquiring minds want to know...

I am leaving for stevens right now. Ill let you know
    Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    Hey Phill, why don't you post your tax returns, here on TGR, asshole. And your birth certificate.

any beta on Alpental would be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    I am leaving for stevens right now. Ill let you know
    So young-gunner, how was it last night? Did you rule Hogsback on your 89 Squads?

Stevens - 2/17

Backside of Stevens got nice and soft today. Went from corn to mashed potatoes pretty quick, but nobody was skiing Aquarius Face and Pegasus gulch, so the fun lines were available just about all day. The uber-rain didn't do as must damage as I might have thought, although there were some chocolate chip (aka - rocks) rearing their heads every once and a while.

Friday night it snowed. then rain. then froze.

sun softend it up pretty good today. backside was money. hiked up from southern cross to the boundery line, awsome 1st tracks. front side runs of SC/DD where closed which was kina gay. but It was an awesome day up there.
    Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    Hey Phill, why don't you post your tax returns, here on TGR, asshole. And your birth certificate.