Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cool THE HARDPACK REVIEW: moment ruby

so i got my hands on some '07 rubys to ski on for the next week or so until my pair is ready. i've been skiing mostly on a pair of last years comi prototypes in the recent hard conditions (holding off on a comi review until i get on the '07 production model), so a step down in girth was a welcome prospect. the ski looks sick in my opinion and needless to say i was stoked to give em a spin even on semi firm wind-board, bumped up gully runouts, and firm to semi-firm groomers.

the ski is 188, 140-110-129
    its pretty soft, much more so than the production comi. the flex is fairly round that gets progressively stiffer from tip to tail. it seems like the flex pattern would rule in pow, but i cant really speak to that. yet.

the ruby skied light and nimble, super poppy, with a very low swing weight making those essential squaw steep turns a snap. it rallys through bumps motto style with such a poppy tail. the ski lays over and carves easily as i expected after experiencing the carve-ability of the comi, and i found it much more stable making mach turns than i expected with its softer tip. if it was a little stiffer then it would have fully ruled the mtn today, but i think thats what the Tahoe (96mm in the waist and much stiffer) is for in the Moment line. i was impressed with how well rounded the ruby preformed. its a solid feeling platform and way more manageable than the comi for grim conditions. i would think the ski would make a super fun touring rig, and i cant wait to get my pair. i think I'm setting mine up alpine though, i think this ski will make a great everyday but the uber firm(read : nowish in tahoe)day ski.

i'll addmore when we get some dang snow. but i like em a lot.
    Last edited by basom; 01-28-2007 at 08:41 PM.

Basom ..... what current ski would you compare the flex of the comi to???

They look so sick

the skis i have on hand to compare the comi to are, scratch bc, nordica ff 9.1, and gotama they are closest to the gotamas (06). they are a little stiffer underfoot , and its a much more lively flex.
    Last edited by basom; 01-28-2007 at 08:43 PM.

more solid work form the guys at moment and that topsheet looks n0ce! basom you skied them on the recommended line? a fatter Got sounds like alot of fun.

Kudos for the review.
    I ski therefore I am.

i skied the ruby's with my boot center over the line. felt slightly forward, but it was good for the firm. i may mount mine a cm back of the line if i was only skiing pow on them, and never skiing switch. i thought they felt good on the line.

The Ruby sounds ultra-fabulous. The graphics make me drool. Now I can't decide whether having you or a pair of Ruby(s) laying next to me would make my night...you tease.

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

any word on the threats?
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

no word on the threat. i think Casey H is focusing on selling the five shapes he has now. there was some talk the other night of adding rocker/reverse camber to some of the existing shapes, which is exciting to me, but the mould building process is time consuming. Zippy would know more about this........

i'm really PUMP3D to get some tahoes though, the pair of Zippy's i saw the other night were pretty bad a. they looked fun. word is they put lots of rubber in it.
    Last edited by basom; 01-29-2007 at 12:33 AM.

man that looks like great stuff coming out of Moment, I can't wait to see how people like the Tahoe's, definitely jonesing for some if I make enough $ over the summer as my everyday.

P.S. I hear the graphics on the Tahoes are the best one out of all the Moment skis.
    If that's the way it is, then that's the way it is.

Quote Originally Posted by 3eyedsmiley View Post

P.S. I hear the graphics on the Tahoes are the best one out of all the Moment skis.
    there are two tahoe graphics that i have seen. the new ones are rad i think, but are definitely in the whole doodle art topsheet genre. if you dont like doodle style graphics you might find them hard to take. i'll for sure post up some pics of them when i get my mits on em. or zippy already has them, maybe if he reads this he'll post a picture of his. and maybe he could post a picture of his pants too, i hear those are fan-fucking-tastic as well.

i cant fucking wait to get my comis.

Captain Haddock could ski on anything he wants, and he chooses Moment.

Shouldn't you?

Anybody had a chance to ski the Reno? I've been thinking about a pair as an everyday ski around here, rather than another pair of PE's.

Quote Originally Posted by basom View Post
    the new ones are rad i think, but are definitely in the whole doodle art topsheet genre. if you dont like doodle style graphics you might find them hard to take. i'll for sure post up some pics of them when i get my mits on em. or zippy already has them, maybe if he reads this he'll post a picture of his. and maybe he could post a picture of his pants too, i hear those are fan-fucking-tastic as well.
    ahh i just saw them. they're alright, not really into the doodle art, freaking LOVE the ruby graphics...

damn, i want his pants. i mean...

Skied Reno's at Hood today. 85 waist and perfect for springlike conditions. Super carvy on groomers, don't get bucked around on variable, and wide enough to not get squirrely in some 2 inch deep corn. Great in the park and pipe too, as they are uber light. Got stopped by a patroller who had to know what they were.
    ROBOTS ARE EATING MY FACE.

^^^Thanks. Just what I was hoping to hear. Do you have PE's to compare to? Sounds like pretty similar characteristics, but I have not idea on the flex on the Reno.

intrigued by the Ruby's am i.

question for anybody who has ridden them:

my current quiver consists of:
    King Salmon
    Titan 9
    Spatula

Where would the Ruby fit in there in terms of flex? (btw, I'm ditching the Karmas and Mantras, so i'm keenly aware of my current overlap).

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    intrigued by the Ruby's am i.

question for anybody who has ridden them:

my current quiver consists of:
    King Salmon
    Titan 9
    Spatula

Where would the Ruby fit in there in terms of flex? (btw, I'm ditching the Karmas and Mantras, so i'm keenly aware of my current overlap).

ditto...i was thinking of using this as like an anything-except-for-ice kinda ski so basically as an everyday/pow ski, with my mojos for ice/rock-ish days. wondering if it's stiff enough for straightlines etc. and comparison to mojos. i was thinking about gotamas p4s etc, but i cant resist this baby.

Had my eyes on a pair of blowers... these have really similar dimensions. Anyone skied both? Impressions?

ruby has less sidecut than the blower. similer flex, possibly softer in the shovel (ruby). its a much lighter ski, stiff underfoot. pleanty stable at speeds in straightline. not great on ice.

it an awesome all arounder that excells in pow.

i like mine.
    a lot.

so, are you saying it would be a good addition for the following quiver:

180 AK No Ka Oi
    181 Blizzard Titan 9
    180 AK King Salmon
    185 Spatula

?

still not sure as the Blower seems awfully noodly when I flex it in the store and I know Corky, whom I have ridden with, had some and didn't cotton to the flex/feel.

I really want a semi-wide mank buster that will surf 'taters like ice cold Cool Whip.

Could you place the ruby on flex scale for me please:

RELATIVE FLEXES:
    9 - titan pro / Squad / supa stiff bros (270)
    8 - LP / Monster / explosiv / dp #3 / capital stiffs (260)
    7 - big daddy / stockli dp (250)
    6 - ANT / extra stiff kingswood / stiff bros
    5 - mantra / ak swallowtail / dp #2 (240)
    4 - gotama / soft bros / reg. kingswood (230)
    3 - yellow ak rockets / sugar daddy ?
    2 - PR / lawnchair (200 or less)
    1 - sanouk/made'n
    0 - green ak rockets

Thinking I need a new tele set-up...

Quote Originally Posted by wendigo View Post
    Could you place the ruby on flex scale for me please:

RELATIVE FLEXES:
    9 - titan pro / Squad / supa stiff bros (270)
    8 - LP / Monster / explosiv / dp #3 / capital stiffs (260)
    7 - big daddy / stockli dp (250)
    6 - ANT / extra stiff kingswood / stiff bros
    5 - mantra / ak swallowtail / dp #2 (240)
    4 - gotama / soft bros / reg. kingswood (230)
    3 - yellow ak rockets / sugar daddy ?
    2 - PR / lawnchair (200 or less)
    1 - sanouk/made'n
    0 - green ak rockets

Thinking I need a new tele set-up...
    The Ruby's are also of great interest to me too as a tele set-up. I emailed Casey earlier this year about getting myself a pair of Ruby's, but no reply as of yet. Still the same price on them? Same dimensions?