Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

East Coast Maggots...........Highway Star content

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread...443#post619443

Well, after all the interest in my MA thread, the Expert skier thread, and the ESA Stowe, I would like to donate my time to teach a freeskiing clinic.......we'll call it the "Highway Way".

One day, early-mid January, at either Stowe or Killington. Probably a Friday, but it can be a saturday or sunday. We'll set something up. I think a group of 10 to 15 people would be fine.

We'll work on many important topics that the PSIA might not be addressing for you, such as:

- How to have fun on skis
    - Skiing in Jeans
    - Skiing fat skis on the east coast, and why
    - Actually carving
    - How not to gape
    - How to spot real steeze vs. fake steeze
    - Ripping
    - Jumping
    - Skiing fast
    - Skiing in traffic
    - Skiing fast in traffic
    - Bragging
    - Finding powder
    - Finding "technical skiing"
    - Internet callouts
    - "Adventure Skiing"
    - Drinking and skiing
    - Poaching
    - Smelling like BO

All valueable topics.......

No, really, I'm serious. I'd be happy to take a pack of you skiing and impart some knowledge.....perhaps give you a different perspective on skiing, and ways to enjoy it. There will be no showboating or other asshattery on my part, promise. If you would like to know Killington or Stowe better, I'd be happy to show you around.

Please let me know if there's anything specific that you'd like to work on, and perhaps I can put a little curiculum together. It will be fun.

(Mod's, please don't move/delete this, I'm totally serious and would like some feedback here in the general forum - thanks, Highway Star)
    Last edited by Lloyd Braun; 12-18-2006 at 03:51 PM.

i'm curious how you're going to cover both :

Skiing in Jeans
    and
    How not to gape
    in one lesson.

Sweet!

I was gonna sign up for a str8line camp but hell.... why go all the way out to Utah now??

well...he should definitely include his one area of true uncontested expertise in the clinic: tailgunning.
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

don't forget "How to be seriously legit"
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.

note the post about hgw-stars attraction to the hot chick

who turned out to be flexon-phils 14yo son. did highway work for barney franks?

Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14

Is anyone actually going to this?

http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=49634

Is this for real?

ROFL........maybe I'll show up and he can give me some tips on "Finding Powder".............in the back seat!!!!!!!!

Please, please, please go! Full TR, pictures, videos, the whole deal. This could be the most entertaining TR of the season. I'd go if it wasn't 3,000 miles away.

Where exactly is he going to "find powder" in VT next weekend?!

Well as long as you are cross posting, you better be ready to attend. The Agenda has now been posted http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=49634:

Quote Originally Posted by Highway Star
    Main thread:
    http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=48964

Meeting Place:
    http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=49035

Killington, Sunday, January 7th 2007, 10 am, K-1 Gondola line in front of the Waffle Haus.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

As some of you may have noticed, I will be teaching a Freesking clinic this coming weekend. Here is what you need to know.

It is free of charge, and is open to the general public (epicski and guests). I am offering my time and knowledge in an effort to expose epic skiers to a different perspective on skiing and expand peoples horzions a bit.

We will ski for approximately 3-4 hours, so be prepared to be on the hill until at least 2 pm. I recommend taking a few warm up runs before the 10 am meeting, however, we will be taking at least one easy warm up run so I can assess everybody's ablity levels and you can see what you're getting yourself into. The skiing will get progressively harder as we go along and the terrain we ski will thin the group by attrition. Thus, I will try to cover topics relating to all ablilty levels first, and move up from there.

I am not a professional ski instructor and this will be my first experience teaching a skiing group. The focus will not be on any specific technique or style, but I will be giving selective feedback on anything I see fit to give feedback on - thus, if you have any really major technical flaws, I will be happy to discuss them with you. I would expect anybody attending this to be roughly level 7 or above, carving turns, and be comfortable on normal black diamond terrrain.

I recommend bringing a pair of skis you don't mind hitting a couple rocks with and that you feel comfortable on in challenging snow. I would suggest an older midfat ski in good shape. I personally will be on 179 public enemies.

.................................................. ..................................

The clinic itself will go as follows:

We will start with a basic introduction, I'd like everybody to be able summarize in about 30-60 seconds:

1. Where do you normally ski
    2. How many days a year do you ski
    3. How long have you been skiing
    4. Your basic skiing background (racing, instructing, freeskiing, etc)
    5. Your identity as a skier (what type of skier are you?)
    6. What kind of skier you want to become

I will then briefly assess your equipment. I will give a bit of a discussion about my personal thoughts on ski gear, and what people are skiing on in VT. I will then go into my personal philosophy on skiing a little........why I love to ski, and why skiing continues to entertain and engage me.

We will then talk about freeskiing strategies and goals, which will include the following:

- Maps, ski area layout and skiing strategy, specifically at Killington
    - Weather, wind, pitch, exposure, elevation, and how they relate to snow quality....ie. where to find the good snow.
    - Terrain and line choices

Then we will commence the on snow portion. We will take an easy run to get the kinks worked out, and so I can size everybody up. We will then start to locate good spots to ski. I will give advice based on what we see out on the hill - why we are chosing to ski a spot, how to ski it, etc. We'll start by skiing short sections of medium difficulty and work up from there. There may be some tree skiing and poaching involved, if conditions allow. I can assure you that by 2pm, we will have skied both the best snow and the most challenging terrrain available on the mountain that day.

.................................................. ............................................

So, that's about it. I wrote this up for your benefit, and so that I know what to be ready to talk about. If there's a specific topic you'd like me to address, please mention it and I will try to be prepared to talk about it.

Thanks,

Highway Star
    Someone really needs to do a Trip Report

Quote Originally Posted by Cirquerider View Post
    Well as long as you are cross posting, you better be ready to attend. The Agenda has now been posted

Someone really needs to do a Trip Report
    well, with no video analysis i don't really see how this could be helpful.
    To the Thingmajigger!

Wow. That guy is something else! Very entertaining reading. The EpicSki bunch seems to have a different style of ripping on dipshits than the maggots do... a little more subtle.

His personality reminds me of Two Buddha a little bit. Kinda scary.

How to respond??

Kmart on Sunday could be good for a maggot gathering.

Perhaps sign up for his "class" and then desert him after 5 minutes - a mass exodus with muttering and sputtering about how far his head is up his ass.

Followed by an endless parade of drive-by skiers buzzing through his "lessons" making "woo woo woo woo" 3 stooges sounds??
    this mayhem could continue all afternoon until he gets so pissed he deletes himself.
    . . .

I'm somewhat speechless. Please, in the name of all that is holy someone go. Steve? Sprite? Someone, please?

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Perhaps sign up for his "class" and then desert him after 5 minutes - a mass exodus with muttering and sputtering about how far his head is up his ass.

Followed by an endless parade of drive-by skiers buzzing through his "lessons" making "woo woo woo woo" 3 stooges sounds??
    this mayhem could continue all afternoon until he gets so pissed he deletes himself.
    I really can't imagine caring enough to bother.

I am surprised he is getting so much attention.

I might be at Killington this weekend anyway...
    Decisions Decisions

I can't believe you're using that hideous avatar still^! It's killing me!

PS- I agree with Iceman on this, though.... Who cares?
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

I'm here to post in this important thread only because one of HS's best quotes appears in my signature line.
    "Shit, I'll choke her while she's cleaning, and I'll do it wearing a helmet cam mounted on a full-face helmet.
    I'll have meatdrink9 do the lighting for the shot. He'll make it artsy as fuck."
    - Phunk

some one go and take pics
    Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    Hey Phill, why don't you post your tax returns, here on TGR, asshole. And your birth certificate.

Talking

Holy crap! I'll be there Sunday anyway...I'll haul my ass to the gondi at 10. Let's see how long I can hang w/ this crew...

Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    How to respond??
    Ooooo.......well then, you are personally invited as the guest of honor.

I'm calling you out, beeyatch.

Quote Originally Posted by Highway Star
    The skiing will get progressively harder as we go along and the terrain we ski will thin the group by attrition.
    Is this guy for real? I mean, it's clear across the country from me so I'm a little out of touch with conditions out there, but from what I've been reading there really isn't any snow out there to even ski on other than man-made on the groomers. What kind of terrain, exactly, is he going to be skiing on to thin the group by attrition? Is he planning on hucking to bare rock landings or what?
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

this is funny stuff right here!