TR: Mt. Lincoln and Bross, 11-25-2006

update 2/4/2014 - the pictures for this post are missing because BigLines is no longer hosting them. Please view a revised version of this post here.

TR: Mt. Lincoln (14,286 ft) and Mt. Bross (14,172 ft)
    11-25-2006
    goldenboy and mtnbikerskierchick

(with date corrected for Squirrel )

With the settling of the snowpack, goldenboy and I decided to take advantage of some lines off the high peaks before the onset of the next storm cycle. We decided to tackle Lincoln and Bross

We began our ascent around 8:30 from the Moose Creek Trailhead. The top of Bross looks pretty nice!

We headed up the ridge on the right of the photo. On our way, we took note of these trees and wondered just how long they had been here. The looked ancient They also prooved to be excellent landmarks on our way back down.

Goldenboy and I knew that we could ski Bross, but we weren't sure whether lines on Lincoln went until we rounded the ridge. Lincoln as seen from the ridge on Bross.

Though the Russian Couloir was not filled in, we still decided we could ski a line off of Lincoln, so we went for it. Instead of summiting Bross, we continued along its north side past Cameron Point.

mtnbikerskierchick hiking on the ridge near Lincoln, with Cameron Point behind.

Democrat is looking pretty good right now!

The winds were tenacious and downright brutal at times as we crossed the ridge near Cameron Point toward Lincoln.
    Reaching the summit of Lincoln.

On the summit of Lincoln. Yep, it's cold

It was so cold I decided to take a picture of the summit register rather than sign it.

Goldenboy sets up for the chute down the first pitch of Lincoln.

And off he goes!

Goldenboy vanishing in a gust of wind and snow

mtnbikerskierchick at the top of the chute.

We continued our descent down to the lake at the bottom of Cameron Ampitheater. Conditions were highly variable and it was difficult snow to ski. In one turn ourskis would be on "windboard", the next our your skis would be in a foot of chunky powder, and the next turn we'd be on suncrusted ice.

Goldenboy

mtnbikerskierchick

We had to be innovative to find a line down Lincoln. I thought it was so funny that I had to show the line here. I had to split it up into 2 pics.

We continued down to the lake at around 13,100 feet and had a break for some food. We still had to climb back up to Bross. With the howling wind on the ridges and peaks, we found it difficult to eat during our hike and were low on energy. The wind was still strong even at this lower elevation and we began to chill very quickly. We put on our skins and we were able to skin about half way back up to the ridge between Lincoln and Bross. We booted the rest of the way.

We reached the summit of Bross around 3:50 pm, with only about an hour of daylight remaining. Goldenboy, looking cold from the wind and dropping temperatures.

mtnbikerskierchick putting her skins away.

The top of the bowl on Bross was windloaded on the north side. So, we traversed from the summit to the southern side of the bowl (skiers right).

And then down we went!

Goldenboy showing some steeze as the evening approaches.

We were able to ski down this bowl to the gulley. You can see the gulley trailing off to the right side of the photo here.

We were able to follow this gulley back to the car. A 3000 ft vert run where we only had to take off our skis twice, for only a few feet! Mt Bross may be a mellow ski, but the line kind of fun because it was so long. It kept a steady pitch for the majority of the run. The snow was less variable than on Lincoln, and was primarily windboard.

Plus, we were able to enjoy the beautiful evening skies.

We got back to the car with only a few minutes of daylight to spare.

All in all, despite the horrible wind and variable snow, it was a good day. We left with smiles on our faces, bound for Chinese food

Note to CO maggots: As stated, the snowpack was highly variable with only slight changes in aspect, due to wind and sun exposure. Be wary of this as the next storm cycle approaches.
    Last edited by mtnbikerskierchick; 02-04-2015 at 10:49 PM.
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

Wow, good stuff.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

that sure is a creative line! way to get after it!

Man that Russian Coolie on Lincoln never seems to be filled in completely. Way to get after it.

wow
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

You guys got all that snow, but it looks incredibly wind hammered all the time on the high peaks?

awww. lovers in the mountains, exchanging glances...

Good work, that sugar snow can be difficult skiing right now.
    Chocolate? This is doodoo, BABY!

Has the access been eased to those mountains yet, or was your trailhead not on a side affected by the closures?
    Quote Originally Posted by wintermittent
    And furthermore. What is up with turkey bacon? Healthy bacon? Unpossible.
    Quote Originally Posted by snowsprite
    That is like masturbation. People resort to it when they can't have the real thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    You guys got all that snow, but it looks incredibly wind hammered all the time on the high peaks?
    The last storm cycle (2 weeks ago) came with extremely high winds, so it never really even covered the high peaks.

Quote Originally Posted by StroupSkier View Post
    Has the access been eased to those mountains yet, or was your trailhead not on a side affected by the closures?
    The access is supposedly restricted at the Kite Lake trailhead, which is a different trailhead than we used. We saw no signs that mentioned any hint of tresspassing. To my knowledge, the restricted access there has not been enforced. When iskibc and I skied Democrat in June we probably saw around 30 people hiking up from Kite Lake.
    Last edited by mtnbikerskierchick; 11-27-2006 at 11:48 AM.
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

Good work B.
    You guys had quite a long day out there.
    Looks like fun.... even with the wind.

nice work! right in my backyard.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    those peaks get absolutely hammered by the wind. they'll look like that most of the winter.
    Old's Cool.

Sweet day out, thanks for sharing.
    Have fun or get hurt bad. "MFT" A.K.A. Dr. Doom

There are but three true sports--bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games. "Ernest Hemingway"

Nice Brit way to get after it!

Nice work - brrrrrrrr!!

Bross gets a bad name, but with that access and that nice bowl (and some chutes to the south when they fill in) I think Moose Gulch is one of the best bang for the buck 14er lines around.

And I'm not telling, but think officially all these 14ers are still closed, from ALL Trailheads.

http://www.14ers.com/bb/viewtopic.ph...f0cc062f427865

Awesome work you two! More snow is coming
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.? ??´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

Awesome....you two make the most of all conditions!! Colorado had alot to be thankful for this year.

It finally snowed in Tahoe....about 5 inches or something. Way to take advantage of what you've got!
    Donjoy to the World!

Quote Originally Posted by smitchell333 View Post

And I'm not telling, but think officially all these 14ers are still closed, from ALL Trailheads.

http://www.14ers.com/bb/viewtopic.ph...f0cc062f427865

I had no idea that these peaks were "closed". Thanks for the link. I'm not even sure how people would be getting information about the closure if not for the internet, since there weren't any signs. Whatever the case, there were plenty of tracks in the snow up there, and even some iced-up ATV tracks from sometime last month. We also saw a group heading up Democrat from Kite lake on the same day.

It was still a fun day out there. Sometimes being out in the elements like that can really make you feel a little more alive and in tune, know what I mean?

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    I had no idea that these peaks were "closed". Thanks for the link. I'm not even sure how people would be getting information about the closure if not for the internet, since there weren't any signs. Whatever the case, there were plenty of tracks in the snow up there, and even some iced-up ATV tracks from sometime last month. We also saw a group heading up Democrat from Kite lake on the same day.

It was still a fun day out there. Sometimes being out in the elements like that can really make you feel a little more alive and in tune, know what I mean?
    Yeah kinda stupid - either close em and make it obvious - signs at trailheads, etc - or NOT.

Can jive on the elements - although I hate those high winds.

That's cool. Way to find some lines on the windblown funk.

Great tour. Tackling those 14teeners in winter is a real accomplishment. The wind and variable snow is a given, and the cold can be downright dangerous. But this warm spell we've had has awakened a late winter/spring mentality, and it's very cool to see you guys taking advantage of the opportunity. And that view of Democrat, hope its possible to get up there this spring-it's a crime to block access to that gem.

Nice work! You two were brave to head that far above treeline with that wind. I was too scared to venture above treeline today...brrrr...