Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thursday update. Clearing skies and alot of new snow after the week of storms. Vulcano had good powder, Cenidor more slabby grabby wind effect. Some day soon, the top will open. I know skiing powder is always good, and I am not complaining, but looking up at the goods day in and day out is getting me a little itchy. If we get as clear night, perhaps things will be safe enough for some touring. There aren't much safe slopes in these parts.

Today was super clear, no wind, and very cold temps. We checked in with poachtrol and they said we could skin and ski the Collar. It was half breakable, half good powder. Others booted up above Caris and looks like other areas of breakable due to yesterday afternoon's huge wind event.

The best part of the day was to see the Marte chair moving slowly and them working on it.

Whoever is in the heli today was a lucky person.

Talked to a lift mechanic who said 7-10 more days for Marte. Today, climbed up above YPF and look at Marte thru the binoculars. It appears all the chairs on on side are off.

Yesterday and Today, not a drop off wind, blue sky today, and cold temps.

Oh, the power was out and all lifts closed for about 4 hours today.

There are some variable conditons out there, some breakable due to the big wind event at the end of the storm.

The natives are getting restless!

Just checked the LL website, and it says Marte out of service until July 30, weather permitting. After seeing it today with only half the chairs, I can't imagine it will be open. It would be really nice if we could get a straight answer. By the way, Marte has been open 7.5 days out of 46 so far this season.

awesome beta, enlos. definately puts LL in perspective when you give a stat like 7.5 out of 46. Bariloche is starting to sound pretty good.

Banter about photo quality and pole positioning aside, that sucks about Marte and I feel for ya man. I bet Ivan and the rest of the local ski bum crew is going crazy too.

I wouldn't believe a single word any staff of Las Lenas says about conditions or openings. We found it especially entertaining when they listed Jupiter as "Opening conditional" when it turned out the "conditional" meant "if it snows sometime soon" (!!!) They just seemed to lie and lie and lie about that sort of thing.

Maybe they will give you a refund on the season pass if enough pass holders form an angry mob? Without Marte, Las Lenas is incredibly boring, as I'm sure you've discovered.

Good luck, aiming + vibes to Mars............

Does anyone have a link to the originating thread on this marte fiasco? I missed it and would like to read up. Yeah I could search "marte" but as you imagine that might take awhile.

If anyone has more specific terms I could search...I'm all ears.

JumperB, the deal with Marte was an avalanche came down, and we think the airblast, not the rubble, caused it to derail off 3 towers. As BBirtle said, the management has not been very on it to say the least. The first week, the word was they were "evaluating the situation". Then it was 10 days, then 4, and today would have been the fourth of perfect weather, the website says out of service until yesterday, July 30. I saw a lift mechanic at the supermercado yesterday and he said 7-10 days more. As of yesterday afternoon, the were only chairs on 1 half of the cable (one side).

My wife and some friends are going heliskiing today. There was only one spot and she hasn't had any Marte days, at least I had 5 so she is in. I'll report back how it all unfolded.

BBirtle, thanks for the vibes, I doubt they will give any kind of refund. I think the thing that is pissing us off most besides the incorrect info is the snowcats passing us on the groomer as we skin up with empty seats. Then to see the clients skiing down the groomer is retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by enlosandes
    I saw a lift mechanic at the supermercado yesterday and he said 7-10 days more
    how many human days are in a las-lenas-lift-mechanic-day?

Quote Originally Posted by covert
    how many human days are in a las-lenas-lift-mechanic-day?
    Thanks Covert, that put the biggest smile of the day on my face.

Heli update, 1015 peso, 3 runs around 1000 meter per on about 40 degree slopes, and excellent non wind affected powder.

The hammer kept pushing the guide to land on Andrenalina for a road run but the guide wasn't ready to step it up yet.

Here's a photo.

Las Leñas ski area update, another sunny windless day. They were working on Marte for the 4th day in a row, the website still says opening on Sunday the 30th. Today's rumor is they are welding a new arm and replacing some shives.

Website changed on Marte until further notice. 5 perfect days of weather have passed. The season is slowly slipping away and this blows.

got an email today Aspensnowboarder dude shaggy-

"WE are in LAs LEnas now and my
    friend is the mountain manager, and my other friend
    Claudio runs the guiding program which uses 3 cats to
    access EVERYTHING!!! MArte is down(surprise) so the
    cats took us up and we got first trax down Eduardos
    today. Tomorow should be sweet too. ITs cold so the
    snow is keeping well and there is just enough of to be
    good, but of course we need some more. Wish you were here man."

Glad to see someones gettin' some!

Wednesday update, looks like Marte is almost ready. Supposedly they are putting the chairs on and it is good to go. Forecast looks like increasing winds but it is close (we hope)!

Special props to Gregg in the green for a nice favor today.

Wednesday update, looks like Marte is almost ready. Supposedly they are putting the chairs on and it is good to go. Forecast looks like increasing winds but it is close (we hope)!

Special props to Gregg in the green for a nice favor today.
    Fingers crossed for you!

But know you're taking their time frame with a large pinch of salt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Hay mucho sal aca!

Heli update, 1015 peso, 3 runs around 1000 meter per on about 40 degree slopes, and excellent non wind affected powder.

The hammer kept pushing the guide to land on Andrenalina for a road run but the guide wasn't ready to step it up yet.
    Yea! Riding the Bird to get some turns! Damn lucky non Tahoe heat dwelling pow mowing bastardoes. Keep posting those pictures - mountain bike wrecks and diving off the pier are getting old....
    Last edited by Sierra Cement; 08-02-2006 at 01:33 PM.