Maggot Assault on Peru, this October!

Anyone wanna do this this year?
    Kiss the end of summer goodbye in style?
    I am proposing 8-9 days, in the Cusco/Sacred Valley area.
    Four days of shuttle assisted DH, including the Mega Avalanche course.
    Two HUGE climbing days, (up to 15,000 feet or so)
    One day in macchu Picchu, or river rafting.
    the BEST possible hotels and food. (budget depending)
    Private guides, drivers, busses and mechanics. (they wash and tune our bikes every night)
    Partying like MoFo rock stars on the last weekend in Cusco.
    This is the real deal, folks...
    Do you think we could put a trip together?
    I am thinking late October, but I am a little flexible.
    Chime in, folks!
    (borrowed pics)

Last edited by rideit; 06-12-2006 at 02:11 PM.

Possibly... not as interested in going for a DH mountain biking trip, but XC riding, hiking, rafting, etc., definitely.

How many do you need to get this done, and estimated cost (with or w/o airfare)?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I can easily tailor the trip to be XC oriented, with lots and lots of CC DH. That is no problem. But some of these shuttle rides are classic, and so freakin' hard to do as a climb and descent without wasting yourself for a few days afterwards.
    My minimum target is eight, less than that and the costs go way up.
    (here is a cut and paste from another thread)
    It would depend on participation. My other trips generally have been very upscale, Usually 8 days with everything included, transportation from airport in Cuzco, hotels, guides, meals, snacks, mechanics, drivers, etc, has varied between $1650 and $1850 per person. (This does not include airfare to Cuzco, and you bring your own bike)
    Keep in mind that this is 3-4 star hotels, the very finest restaurants available, and shittons of booze included. VERY reasonable for an international adventure. Basically, the more clients, the cheaper. (also, I could tweak the accomodation level, but you are paying for some security as well) I can do anything from 8-24 people easily. 8-10 is the best.

Oh, and it would be simple to do the trip as a multi-sport adventure. My key guide runs the tightest river rafting-trekking-Mt. Biking-general tour company in Cusco. Piece o' cake, even to change activities on the fly.
    Last edited by rideit; 06-13-2006 at 01:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit
    Oh, and it would be simple to do the trip as a multi-sport adventure. My key guide runs the tightest river rafting-trekking-Mt. Biking-general tour company in Cusco. Piece o' cake, even to change activities on the fly.
    Sounds good to me. 8 "real" days? (vs. "day 1 arrive in Lima, day 8 depart from Lima" = 6 "real" days)

I've been checking into locally-run guide/tour operations, based in Lima or Cusco, and found a few worth exploring. Some interesting trekking trips too, though it'd be nice to break up the hiking days with a few biking days.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Should mention too: we're really flexible on dates, within some broad parameters -- anything in September through mid-October is definitely clear, early-to-mid-November is definitely out.

Generally 8 'real' days, my trips usually begin with meeting everyone at the airport in Cusco on Saturday AM, and ends with dropping everone off at the airport on the next Sunday. If you want to check out Lima as well, (FUN city!) I would recommend arriving wednesday or Thursday before the Cusco portion, or doing it Monday and tuesday after. I can also arrange superb accomodations in Lima, as well as guides, restaurant suggestions (a few of my friends own 3-4 star restaurants in Lima), and even Mt. Biking in Pachacamac, or surfing, whatever. Lots and lots to do. I will be staying for a few days in Lima anyway.
    Last edited by rideit; 06-13-2006 at 12:13 PM.

I'm very interested, but I ain't riding one of them fangled mountain bikes gadgets , I sure ain't. So, I don't know how I'd fit in. I could run/walk some of those trails. I dunno.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

The fact that the cost you quoted is pretty much exactly what I just paid for a new frame is creating this ironic sharp biting sensation right on my ass.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

for those interested, reidhresko will be back in a week and a half from riding bolivia for a month, with a shit-ton of pics in tow, to stoke up this mission.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Meh. You should have 'borrowed' the frame from the base of Northstar, and used the money for travel.
    Speaking of, I think we priced a trip like this in Telluride (or Jackson), and with the hotels and everything else, it would have come in at three-four thousand dollars. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit
    Meh. You should have 'borrowed' the frame from the base of Northstar, and used the money for travel.
    Speaking of, I think we priced a trip like this in Telluride (or Jackson), and with the hotels and everything else, it would have come in at three-four thousand dollars. Seriously.
    Frame at northstar? You mean that one hanging in the tree by dogbone?

I'm not your client base me thinks. My trips include gas money, a jar of peanut butter, beer and the inherent cost of sleeping in the back of my truck and asking directions.

Andes riding has an appeal like no other however..........

EDIT: I'd love to bring jed along but he doesn't know how to pedal uphill. Plus he'd be asking me to work on his damn bike every night.
    Last edited by kidwoo; 06-13-2006 at 12:30 PM.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Here we go again! This time it will be May 2007...anyone interested?