Thread: Jetboil?

Jetboil?

I was thinking of getting a Jetboil. Anyone have any feed back on them now theat they have been around for a little while?
    "Have fun, get a flyrod, and give the worm dunkers the finger when you start double hauling." ~Lumpy

Quote Originally Posted by 72Twenty
    I was thinking of getting a Jetboil. Anyone have any feed back on them now theat they have been around for a little while?
    i have one. they fucking rock. boil water SUPER FAST.

if you drink the coffee, get the french press adapter.

the stove adapter is RULE also.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

I agree.

The TTips dudes have a couple threads on the JetBoil.

Another good review on the Advrider site. Here

Also of interest the Jet Powered Beer Cooler.
    Last edited by shirk; 01-02-2006 at 03:51 PM.

For b/c the jetboils are great.
    Also fit nicely in the tailbag of the snowmo 4 emergencies.
    For coffee I use a Big Sky Bistro french press. Probably 6 yrs old now.
    It also doubles as an eating container

Have fun melting snow in that little container though...
    I love big dumps.

I was mostly going to use it for soups and warm beverages in my car at the resorts and whilst fishing.
    "Have fun, get a flyrod, and give the worm dunkers the finger when you start double hauling." ~Lumpy

Last Christmas I my uncle got me one of these:

(a Kelly Kettle)
    and

And although it is cool in an old-west sense, and I am mostly old school, I wanted to step up to the 21st century.

I love my JetBoil. Used it on The Grand last year and it was solid at 11K. Food in minutes = happy Powstash
    "In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life, — no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair." -Emerson

It's the best stove I have used. I used to use the MSR Whisperlite, but like the JetBoil much more. It is super easy to set up, boils water in no time, and uses very little fuel. On my last trip, we ended up hiking in the rain all day and then past the snow line. The last thing anyone wanted to do was screw around with pumping, priming, and lighting my friend's Whisperlite. We ended up using the Jetboil pretty much exclusively the entire trip. I have used it up to 12,000 feet without problem and have heard of them being used much higher.

The only gripes I can think of is that it is a bit top heavy, but it really isn't as bad as people make it out to be and it is a canister stove. But, really as long as you keep the canister semi-warm it works fine.

As for melting snow, all stoves suck. It just takes a lot of fuel and snow to get a liter of water, there is no way around it and frankly the JetBoil works pretty well for that too.

All in all, its a great little stove. And with the new pan adapter deal and stabilizer base, its almost perfect.

If you get a jetboil and like macncheese for a quick fat fix, I buy boil-in-the-bag macncheeses from the local restauant and the bag fits right in. what a setup.

Quote Originally Posted by 72Twenty
    I was mostly going to use it for soups and warm beverages in my car at the resorts and whilst fishing.
    Then there is no question that it is perfect for you.

Self contained.
    Quick setup, lighting and boil.
    You need one.
    . . .

Anybody here work in a shop that sells them? I have 3 or 4 people that I work with that iare interrested in them, so we might be interrested in a group buy if someone can shave off a few bucks....

jetboil = one of best peices of equipment ive bought in years
    Mom! The meatloaf! FUCK!.

Jetboil is a nice item. Played with one in a shop, never used it.
    But I know stoves a little: got a MSR XGKII - the one with the solid fuel line.
    I like the idea of the all-in-one, wieght shaving efficient stove.

If you are looking to get a group rate, sooner than later, try backpacking.net
    Lots of info on the jetboil should be there, it's an ultralight backpacking site.

My coffee advice however, is to maybe skip the french press, and get some filters and a plastic
    filter holder from melitta - $4 I think. Filter holder fits over the mouth of most cups, just make sure
    the grind is correct.

Anyway if you can wait, just score an online coupon to REI for the jetboil i.e 20% off your order.

here's one I found to moosejaw.com

Use code: MOOSE for 10% off regularly priced items and 5% off sale items at Moosejaw, and outdoor clothing retailer. Expires 1/9/06.

Jetboil is awesome. Amazing how fast it boils water. If you use boil-in-the-bag food as someone mentioned above it's fucking awesome because there's no mess to clean up, plus you don't need much water. You can easily go from taking the stove out of your pack to eating steaming hot food in five minutes.