Shit went down at Baker today.

I am torn wether or not to post this info, but I have chose to post it anyways, so that when you do see the news reports that you will have a better and hopefully some what of a more accurate picture of what happend.

A teen age skier died at Mt. Baker to day in an area commonly refered to as the ice wall off of chair one. The area is in between The Chute and the retaining wall lookers left of chair one.

The skier had ducked two cliff signed rope lines to get into the area, wich was skiers left of a very sketchy and seldom skied line at baker reffered to as super man. The area is fairly difficult to get into, and was definatly not ski able in the low snow conditions that where present (the line is only ski able on the deepest of years) The skier went skier's left of super man over the very large cliff that makes up the ice wall. (The skier ended up falling slightly lookers left of the main ice wall)

This cliff is NOT huckable, it has a downward sloping take off, and the cliff protudes out and away. The skier fell (possible after having removed skis) and slide off the cliff edge, hit the rock out crop some 40 feet bellow, fell another 20~30 feet and then slid farther down the slope.

It is unclear exactly why the skier was in that area, it is a well known cliff at baker and is in plain sight of chair one. You have to ski past several cliff signs and duck two ropes to get into the area. So it is unclear as to how the skier could have mistakenly ended up in the area. Visibility was in and out all day, but there was good visibility at the time of the accident.
    The Ski Journal theskijournal.com
    frequency TSJ frqncy.com

damn. that sucks. i've seen people get rescued off that cliff numerous times since i've been skiing baker.
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

It's actually lookers RIGHT of chair one... as in it's on your right as you're going up the chair.

py news indeed. RIP
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Oh shit. I was there today and saw several patrol and snowmobiles in that area when I went up chair one. I had no idea something like this happened. That's terrible

RIP

Sad, tragic and stupid. Hopefully the lawyers stay out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by truth
    RIP

Sad, tragic and stupid. Hopefully the lawyers stay out of it.
    a

ditto that....dang dang dang...

these things will always happen, unfortunately...similar fatalities have repeatedly happened at The Waterfall at Crystal and the International cliffs at 'Tal, more than once...

Quote Originally Posted by mtbakerskier
    I am torn wether or not to post this info, but I have chose to post it anyways, so that when you do see the news reports that you will have a better and hopefully some what of a more accurate picture of what happend.

A teen age skier died at Mt. Baker to day in an area commonly refered to as the ice wall off of chair one. The area is in between The Chute and the retaining wall lookers left of chair one.

The skier had ducked two cliff signed rope lines to get into the area, wich was skiers left of a very sketchy and seldom skied line at baker reffered to as super man. The area is fairly difficult to get into, and was definatly not ski able in the low snow conditions that where present (the line is only ski able on the deepest of years) The skier went skier's left of super man over the very large cliff that makes up the ice wall. (The skier ended up falling slightly lookers left of the main ice wall)

This cliff is NOT huckable, it has a downward sloping take off, and the cliff protudes out and away. The skier fell (possible after having removed skis) and slide off the cliff edge, hit the rock out crop some 40 feet bellow, fell another 20~30 feet and then slid farther down the slope.

It is unclear exactly why the skier was in that area, it is a well known cliff at baker and is in plain sight of chair one. You have to ski past several cliff signs and duck two ropes to get into the area. So it is unclear as to how the skier could have mistakenly ended up in the area. Visibility was in and out all day, but there was good visibility at the time of the accident.
    Were those warning signs, or closed signs?
    "Steve McQueen's got nothing on me" - Clutch

There are no "closed" signs at Baker with the exception of the canyon area. The management chooses to let skiers make decisions for them selves in regards to what they can or can not ski, thye just make sure the gnarly areas are roped and well signed.
    The Ski Journal theskijournal.com
    frequency TSJ frqncy.com

Shit oh dear. Very sad news.
    Living vicariously through myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcwop
    Were those warning signs, or closed signs?
    I believe that the exact wording is, "Danger Cliffs". Not very ambiguous.
    This episode is very much a bummer.
    It's hard to wag your tail when it is tucked between your legs.

R.I.P.

Rest in peace and let this remind us all of the dangers that exist. Don't go without a local...
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world." -Gandhi

Visibility was bad up top with low clouds/fog, but probably not bad where the guy actually went over the cliff. The Chute itself was pretty sketchy and I saw lots of people getting into situations they probably didn't intend to there. I saw enough from the lift to realize that terrain in those conditions was way over my ability. It's possible this guy thought he could avoid The Chute by traversing left and somehow went over the cliff.

shit.

RIP

freak~[&]

so sad. mt. baker is NOT a place you want to explore without EXTREME caution. really sad, but also if he was skilled, he should have known better.

couldn't agree more rawk', baker is a sketchy mountain if you don't know where you are going.

RIP

Very sad news.

I agree Rat, Baker is sketchy... even if you know where you are going.
    I was following a friend of mine under chair 8, he went slightly left, I stayed on my line. Next thing I know I'm slamming into a huge fucking rock then doing the rag doll down the hill. This was last Feb. Two feet of new on top of nothing. Heavy snowfall, everything looked white. I ended breaking five ribs, collapsing a lung and bruising my kidney. I'm very thankful for the quick response of the Baker ski patrol. It sucks to hear about fatalities in a sport so dear to us all.

In Memorium.
    www.chronicski.biz

This is horribly sad news.
    Trin was a really fucking cool kid.
    I barely knew him but I am really choked up about this as are many in the work community where our paths crossed.

My heart goes out to his family and loved ones.
    Fuck.
    RIP